Permanent Residence Flanders(Type B)

Hi,

I have recently completed 5 years in Belgium. I went to my townhall(Mol,2400) and asked them about the procedure. They told me that there is no procedure to apply for permanent residence(Type B) in Belgium. As per them i have to keep renewing my Type A(Unlimited now) and its immigration dept. choice to give me permanent residence, until then i keep renewing. I even showed her websites for different communes where you can apply for PR online but she refused to even see. Can some one please guide me on what to do here?

@yashuu1991

Hi, Not sure why, the first time I hear this reason.

Do you have a reason why you are applying for a B card and not an L card?

B is faster. and its also ok with B to apply for Citizenship. L card is for those who also want to work in other EU states. For L card there is timeframe of 5 months and for B its 2-3 months ideally

L-card also puts you in the citizen (or something like that) register while with the B-card you are still an Alien. I do not know what the implication is though.

But a B-card is not something you can apply for from what I remember, it can be granted when you renew your A-card but not applied directly.

Why not just go for an L-card? Is this 2-month difference of waiting so important given that you will get a better card (10-year validity and less strict for being outside of Belgium) and you have 99% chance of getting it while the B-card is up to the Ministry? I guess the only reason is that you want to apply for citizenship ASAP.

@yashuu1991

officially could be B card is 2-3 months, but there is no time limit it on. I am sure many people would agree that it sometimes takes more time on a B card and an L card is faster.

Since you need the immigration to grant the B and you cannot apply it yourself, why not do the L .

On the website its written that b card takes 3 weeks and post that 2 weeks more for puk code so total 1.5 months. that was the reason i wanted to apply b card and immediatly citizenship as this can be faster.