Moving to Ecuador, lugging several suitcases

I live in Warrnambool (3280), Victoria, Australia, about 4 hours from Melbourne. I have visited Ecuador before, and am looking to move there now to Vilcabamba in about a year. Shipping a load of goods seems exorbitant in cost, and the customs hassles a potential nightmare. So likely I will just carry over some suitcases. I am doing this alone. Even if I could bring over 5 or 6 suitcases, the logistics of shuffling everything from train and/or bus, through customs, etc. and through 2 or 3 airports seems very difficult. I have read about others carrying quite a few suitcases, and wondered how you did it.  Are there some specific things you did or resources that you used, that would make moving a number of heavy suitcases to and through Guayaquil airport less difficult? Or is it just 'grunt and bear it'  as you try to personally move everything?

@Hanabe101

You might try checking first class.  You get extra free checked luggage.

Hanabe:  I've been planning my trip for awhile and was freaking out about all the stuff I wanted to bring and how to do it, but over time,  I've realized that the less I bring, the better.  Part of that is realizing that to fully embrace mynew home, I need to leave the last one, and so much of its ”stuff”  behind, in the past where it belongs.  But yeah, I'll still have suitcases and 2 cats through 3 airports.  It's a lot!  Buenas suerte, amigo!

I've figured out how to reduce everything I have to have to what I can, with great difficulty, carry.  It takes up two checked bags, a rolling carry-on, a backpack, and a satchel that I can strap all together in a barge. I can roll more or less by myself, lol. Before everyone says how ridiculous this is, I'll point out that I have a job that requires a lot of equipment, and I've got a four-monitor setup crammed in there with an external webcam and wireless headset with charging base/controls, router/VPN setup, and all sorts of stuff, so take it back! 

Then I have my keepsakes/artwork/books/family items/etc that I do not want to part with crammed into eight more big suitcases (this is *after* I got rid of almost everything I owned).  What I plan to do is grab those over suitcases two at a time my first four visits home.  I left a lot of clothing behind so I have plenty to wear there, no need to haul any of that back and forth - I'll just take a small carry-on.  It won't take long to have it all in Ecuador.  I have kids/grandkids/sister & more so I will be going two or three times a year depending on the budget. 

@Carleah Thanks, Carleah. Yes, I've come across that option, although I'm still a little uncertain as to how much you can bring free, as 1st class. Flying from Australia (part of the Oceana region), and using LATAM airlines, I've read 16kg as take-on the airplane (I think this has to be split between 2 pieces, not 1 piece) and 2 check through pieces of 23 kg luggage.  One can bring more, of course, and pay for it, which is ok. But it is shuffling/lugging everything through the airports, etc. as an individual person  that I was trying to figure out how others did it ... if there were any tips to make it easier. 1f937.svg

@wlabarge Thanks, wlabarge. I've come to the same conclusion. I am slowly going through my files, folders, book shelves, clothes and general stuff, and donating the easier things I can let go first. By letting go of some things each week or two, I am slowly letting go of my past little-by-little. Eventually the bigger furniture, house, car, etc. as I figure out more of what is involved for a complete move, and it gets closer to a projected leave date. Certain photos, and more important paper stuff I am digitizing, but most everything I will eventually have to let go. Yes, a new start, and that is also freeing and energizing, but letting go of a few particularly cherished items will be a harder tug at the heartstrings. I was thinking potentially 5 or 6 suitcases (I have a lot of clothes, a few cherished smaller items, and probably 1 large suitcase of books) to bring ... condensed from 69 years of living! How many suitcases are you looking to bring? 

@Dave Reid Thanks, Dave. It sounds like a good plan that you have, being able to bring more of your stuff over on consecutive trips. That would make life easier. I'll think about your strategy with the first trip, as my situation is different in that I do not really have someone to leave a number of suitcases with for consecutive trips. So it is pretty much a 1-time trip to bring the most critical things. Good luck!

Check the rules for luggage limits on your airline's website and see what they are.  I don't know whether the rules that I see on the websites of the US airlines flying into Ecuador are just for the US or whether they are for everyone, but what I do know is this - folks from the US can't take more than two checked bags into Ecuador a lot of the time. I suspect that the policy applies to everyone.  That is part of the reason for the prior advice.  Also, if you are going to fly domestically within Ecuador, the carriers in Ecuador have limitations on baggage and may not let you bring several bags. 

Hi Dave. From what I understand, The 2 checked bags are what are allowed free. From Australia, it is 1 checked bag , a carry-on, and a small satchel/backpack for a laptop/purse for Economy class, and 2 checked and carry-ons for 1st class. Other bags can be brought, but there is a cost for overweight and oversize baggage, and for excess baggage (up to $200/bag). But a number of bags can be brought. I will not be flying domestically, as the limitations are greater and costs higher. I will fly into Guayaquil, and go by van or something with my luggage to Cuenca and on to Vilcabamba. Look at the US airline website again to see if what I say is not correct. Regards,

@Hanabe101

Hiya, I strongly encourage you not to take more than two large checked bags. My family of 4 just did the trip to Vilca and we each brought 2 large (70lbs) checked bags, and the max carry on (one back pack/duffle, and one shoulder bag) and it was difficult enough. We didn't have a direct flight so that's different for you maybe? No layovers might be manageable?? Also we didn't get a private shuttle we took a regular shuttle and it was jam packed with people and bags. It's a long trip.

I have heard people recommend that you have a friend or family member fly with you just to help with the extra luggage (pay for their flight) and that would be my suggestion, because what we brought was definitely the max I would suggest anyone do, and yes our kids are grown enough to handle their own luggage.

Also, coming to Vilca...things here are not what you might expect. Rent.

@Mamaroks Thanks, Mamaroks. Yes, it doesn't seem like there is any easy way to do this, getting through customs and the airports with a bunch of suitcases. Where did you start from? But you survived, so that is encouraging. I will be doing this solo at 70, so it will be an interesting challenge I'm sure. But once I get through the Guayaquil airport, someone should be meeting me, so from that point it should be easier with the suitcases. And yes, it is a long trip to Vilcabamba from Guayaquil. I'll probably stay in Guayaquil for a couple days to get over the jetlag, then move on. Are you living in Vilcabamba now?