Menu
Expat.com

Cost of electricity

Last activity 30 September 2024 by Liam H

sharonnickerson

Has anyone with solar panels had their electric bill go off the charts ? mine went from 40 pesos to 49,000 and then have to fight for  a discount! I have 54 panels

planner

Wow, that's crazy.  Any chance someone is tied into your line?

sharonnickerson

The electric company is being crazy with pricing everyone with solar panels are being short changed .  There is a long line of prople  to complain at the company every month

ddmcghee

Do you have a bidirectional meter? We have panels and a battery, but only a normal meter. We waste some of the excess power we generate, but it's worth it not to have to deal with credits and price gouging.

If you have a good solar management system, you should be able to get good data on what is being sent to the grid and what is being pulled from the grid.

sharonnickerson

Yes bidirectional meter and batteries and for a couple of months it was great then the power company  must have been loosing money now we all are  paying crazy money and have to go every month and ask for a discount when it should be an automatic credit for the energy we produce

windeguy

Where are you and which power company?

JerseyRealtor

Our condo complex is looking into installing solar but I sounds like it will be more trouble then its worth!  Our electric company is Edenorte.

windeguy

Our condo complex is looking into installing solar but I sounds like it will be more trouble then its worth!  Our electric company is Edenorte.

-@JerseyRealtor

Every few years I look into Solar and then look away. 

Also with Edenorte.

Chazzy

Hello. I am with Edeeste. I am in La Romana Oeste. In the last 3 or 4 months especially there have been an excessive amount of power outages (if the newspaper called it "unprecedented"). I understand that this to be expected. And that there is basically nothing that Edeeste can do, at least locally. However, my last two bills have been the highest EVER! An increase of 3,000 pesos or more! Part of the reason I believe it that every time the power goes out, my split AC shuts off and once the power comes back, be it 10 minutes, an hour, 12 hours or 23 hours, the AC has to start up all over again, which takes a lot of energy. My question here is if it would be even worth the effort to go to Edeste in person and argue the increase pricing, specifically given that service has been worse than ever?

windeguy

Dealing with the EDE's , Chazzy, for what you think might increase your bill will almost certainly bring nothing.  The EDE's were supposed to be disbanded , but that seems to be taking a long time here in manana-land, like most things.   The management of these government companies is something beyone words I can post on a public forum.

The amount your splic AC uses, I would guess is not the problem.   They did increase rates recently.

And if you go over 700 kWh in a month, the rate for all power is charged at the highest rate.

Do you ever go over 700 kWh?

CHRISTOPHER DAVID56

I am of the opinion why not give it a try. Have your details in order.

I have taken that approach and have been successful

planner

It's amazing how few people here understand how the EDE bills work.

Once you hit that magic mark of 700 you pay the highest rate for all your usage!!! My bill doubled and I used 707 kWh. 

Karin1

Wow, this is the first time I heard of that.  Does this apply to all of the country?

planner

This applies to edesur edenorte y edeeste.

The private suppliers have one set fee per kWh.

Chazzy

I've never even HEARD of any private suppliers. Are their rates ridiculously high?

CHRISTOPHER DAVID56

@Chazzy

CEPM up north area , PC is one

taccj9903

We're in Santiago and have edenorte.  We can choose a private electrical company?

CHRISTOPHER DAVID56

Correction to my post:

I would recommend going to the CEPM website for availability in individual location for services. Yiu can Google CEPM Dominican Republic Electric

windeguy

I've never even HEARD of any private suppliers. Are their rates ridiculously high?         -@Chazzy

I don't know of any locations where you can choose a supplier.  You either have a private supplier or you have an EDE.

The government talked about getting rid of the EDE's entirely,  but they are still there in all of their gross incompetence. 

As for the price of the areas with private power supply companies, I have heard their rates are higher, but others can chime in that live in those regions for what they pay.  I have EDENADA here in Cabarete, and certainly have no choice in that matter.

ddmcghee

In Las Terrenas, we have Luz y Fuerza. They charge 14.95 DOP per Kwh. They only have one rate, but they do offer a 50% discount for very limited use. We have a separate meter for our pump house (for the few times we use INAPA water) that averages 2 Kwh per month, and that one gets the discount. I'm not sure how high usage can go before that is lost!

planner

I live in Puerto Plata and I can choose Puerto Plata Electricidad or EDEESTE.  POP Electricidad is a one rate system at over 14 RD per KWH and no discounts. 

This choice is only available in a specific coverage area.

windeguy

Planner, that is the first time I heard of a choice for suppliers and it isn't far from me in Cabarete.

Now, is one more reliable than the other or cheaper, or does it not really matter at the end of the day sine they are using the same wires to get power to your home?

planner

One is more reliable as a general rule.  Edenorte is better if you use less than 700 kWh.  Above that I would.move.to the other provider! 

windeguy

One is more reliable as a general rule.  Edenorte is better if you use less than 700 kWh.  Above that I would.move.to the other provider! 

-@planner

Do they use different sets of transmission lines in Puerto Plata for Edenorte versus the other supplier? 

That would be incredibly wasteful if true, but are they really separate?

(Cabarete/Sosua have EdeNada only - no other options)

planner

They are separate lines. The private company had a major line go down recently and they jumped to fix it!  They communicate far far better than EDENORTE

planner

Puerto Plata Electricidad was created to power Playa Dorada.  They discovered they had excess capacity along the way and started offering to areas reasonably close!

windeguy

@planner

I wish we had such an option in Cabarete.  But we plod on with EDENORTE.

Do you recall seeing the government plans to disband the corrupt and unreliable EDE's countrywide?

I wonder where those plans are now...

planner

I saw discussion about that too. Not seen anything concrete yet

Chazzy

Hello again. So I've been trying to research "cheaper" options for my electric here in La Romana because Edeste is HORRIBLE. I don't know why but there are endless outages averaging probably twice a week. I lived in Bonao and had Edenorte for 4 years and outages were INCREDIBLY rare. (Although tates did vacilate wildly!) My wife and I are in a 2 bed, 2 bath apartment. We use between 350 and 500 kwh per month. The big "consumer" is the split unit A/C. And perhaps the fridge. We try to save. The TV, microwave and fans are all unplugged unless in use. I never knew there were private options here. I've only looked into CEP which covers this area. Their one rate is 19.9 per kwh. Which is a bit steep even if it means fewer outages. Does anyone know if I could possibly find a lower rate with another company? Anyone in my area with a good experience with a certain private company? Thanks

planner

The EDE's are the least expensive option. Any private company that I know of are all more expensive.

Your best option may be inverter and batteries for the basics. No air con of course when on back up power.

Chazzy

@planner Thanks for the info! Will save me some time digging around.

Adalharis

@ddmcghee

Hi how are you. What is the average cost to open a new electricity contract in Luz y Fuerza in Terrenas? Is 15K too much or Ok?

Its an apt complex and we just bough ours there.

Thank you smile.png

ddmcghee

@Adalharis Are you talking about the deposit when you open the account? We established our accounts in 2022, and at that time, we had to place a 7000 deposit per meter (we have two).

Adalharis

@ddmcghee

Yeah that was the deposit "Fianza" as they call it. Apparently is 15K for owners of that new apartment complex.

Liam H

@Chazzy  sounds to me you could do with a Solar solution including a battery, there is an up front cost but you can be electric independent there are a few companies offering solutions, i have one solution and my neighbour has a different one from a different supplier. worth looking into as you are more or less guaranteed sun every day.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Dominican Republic

All of the Dominican Republic's guide articles