Menu
Expat.com

Transferring money from China to Canada

Last activity 10 September 2024 by leochen2890

Grantkj

Looking for suggestions!

Due to the pandemic, I had to leave China quickly and did not complete my banking transfers. I continued to work online for the Chinese company, with my salary deposited into my Chinese account. The money is still in my Chinese bank account, which I cannot access. Is there a way to have it transferred to my Canadian bank?

Regards

leochen2890

I haven't personally run into the same issue, but when I moved to the U.S., I made sure to sort out my bank accounts ahead of time. Here are a couple of tips I can share: First, try talking to your bank directly—they often have solutions for stuff like this (I know, it's an obvious one, but it can work). Another option, if you have family back home, is they might be able to close your account and transfer the funds for you. You’d need to set up a power of attorney for this, though. Keep in mind, it totally depends on the bank and if they still allow this.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Canada

• Opening a bank account in Quebec
    Opening a bank account in Quebec

If you decide to make Quebec your home, you might consider opening a bank account. Learn about the banking system ...

• Opening a bank account in Canada
    Opening a bank account in Canada

While living in Canada as an expatriate, you'll likely find it necessary to have a bank account. This article ...

• Leisure activities in Canada
    Leisure activities in Canada

If you've recently relocated to Canada, you might be curious about how to spend your free time. Here's a ...

• Montreal do's and don'ts
    Montreal do's and don'ts

Some French speakers have trouble realizing that they're not at home when they move to Montreal because of the ...

• Student life in Toronto
    Student life in Toronto

Enrolling in a university in Toronto places you right in the heart of one of the world's most dynamic and ...

• French schools in Canada
    French schools in Canada

Canadian French schools have earned a strong reputation. As per the France Canada Culture website, these schools ...

• Driving in Quebec
    Driving in Quebec

Once you've settled in Quebec, you might be considering purchasing or renting a car, but do you have a valid ...

• Leisure activities in Quebec
    Leisure activities in Quebec

Quebec province provides a wide range of recreational activities throughout the year. Whether you're ...

All of Canada's guide articles