Menu
Expat.com

Shipping US Check to Brazil??

Last activity 30 July 2024 by Nomad Mundo

Nomad Mundo

Hi.. I'm expecting to receive a paper check in the mail at my Hallowell (Maine) address within a week time. I don't have someone sufficiently reliable to pick it up there and send it to me in Brazil.

I would be grateful if someone could provide advice or assistance.1f914.svg

roddiesho

@Nomad Mundo "i POSTAL ONE"

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg

abthree

07/24/24 Good morning, @Nomad Mundo.  That's a tough situation.  The only thing I can think of that might work if the  is mail item is already on its way to you would be to contact the Postmaster in Hallowell and ask whether they'd be able to intercept the mail and send it to you in a Flat Rate Envelope via Priority Mail Express International or Priority Mail International.  Priority Mail Express International would cost you $70.10; Priority Mail International would cost you $40.25.

If it hasn't been sent yet, you could ask the sender to use one of those methods at your expense.

Nomad Mundo

@abthree

Thanks.. I know about the mail intercept service, but can you confirm they have international re-routing service? I reviewed the terms & restrictions and was wondering if redirecting is available to both domestic and international locations since given info is confusing and ambiguous if rerouting is available to domestic or international destinations.1f617.svg

abthree

07/24/24 @Nomad Mundo.  I wasn't talking about regular Mail Forwarding:  you're right, the Postal Service will not forward mail abroad.  That's why many of us use commercial mail forwarding services, which is what @roddiesho was referencing in his post.  He uses iPostal One, I use US Global Mail, and there are several others.  You may want to consider one, if this is a situation that you expect to happen more than once.

I was suggesting what amounts to  asking the Postmaster for the one-time favor of letting you buy a Flat Rate Envelope remotely, sticking the sealed envelope into it for you, and sending it to you in Brazil.  They may well turn you down, but they may go along, too. 

Nomad Mundo

@abthree

Here is what I'm thinking to do:

• Hire one of these virtual mail-handilng service
  • Book a mail intercept with USPS
  • Pay USPS to forward my envelope to the virtual mail-handilng address.

Pay the mail-handilng service to Mail my envelope to me in Brazil.                                                 

@AB3: What do you think 🤔 if this gonna work?

abthree

07/25/24    @abthreeHere is what I'm thinking to do:Hire one of these virtual mail-handilng service Book a mail intercept with USPSPay USPS to forward my envelope to the virtual mail-handilng address.Pay the mail-handilng service to Mail my envelope to me in Brazil.                                                  @AB3: What do you think 🤔 if this gonna work?        -@Nomad Mundo

If you can get your account set up with the mail forwarder in time, and your mail forwarding order in to the Post Office before your check arrives, the Post Office will forward it and all your mail to your US address at the mail forwarder from then on at no charge.  You can then pay the forwarder to send it to you, or have them throw away mail you don't want.

alan279

Can you make an electronic deposit to your US bank account from Brazil?

I FedExed a check to the US many years ago, before electronic deposits.

Nomad Mundo

@abthree

I heartily appreciate your valuable inputs..!

Due to a lack of ubiquity in those days, I wasn't familiar with these virtual mail services as of yet, however everything works out for the best possible reason, and I get to learn from you and other experts here!

AB3, I would request your few more inputs:

• How does the mailbox service work with USPS to get my envelope forwarded to me?
  • Can I do these set-ups virtually or need to visit US for it?

Also, I glanced over the basic US Global Mail service plan $14.99, and it's going to be one-off thing not more!

Nomad Mundo

@alan279

Thanks Alan.. I'm not sure because it's a paper check, my bank won't accept it, and I also checked PayPal currently doesn't provide check cashing services in Brazil.

abthree

@abthree

AB3, I would request your few more inputs:

How does the mailbox service work with USPS to get my envelope forwarded to me?
Can I do these set-ups virtually or need to visit US for it?

-@Nomad Mundo

Sorry, I missed these questions.

-- You submit a USPS Form 1583 to the Post Office, through the Mail Forwarder, as I recall.  The Forwarder will be able to provide the link.

-- The Form 1583 needs to be notarized, but I was able to use an online notary in the US to do that from Brazil.

Nomad Mundo

@abthree

I already did it 1f60e.svg thnx

Articles to help you in your expat project in Brazil

• Banking in Brazil
    Banking in Brazil

Bureaucracy is deeply rooted in Brazil, and this is never more evident than when dealing with banks. Be aware that ...

• Opening a Brazilian bank account
    Opening a Brazilian bank account

Bank Accounts – The Brazilian banking system is one of the most complex and bureaucratic in the civilized ...

• Using phones in Brazil
    Using phones in Brazil

It's much easier these days to get a cell phone in Brazil, and phones and calling plans are inexpensive. ...

• Accommodation in Brasilia
    Accommodation in Brasilia

Brasilia, the country's federal capital, is home to many highly-paid government employees and foreign ...

• Marriage in Brazil
    Marriage in Brazil

Brazil can be a romantic country, and you may want to marry here. Perhaps you even want to remain in Brazil ...

• Dating in Brazil
    Dating in Brazil

If you're single and ready to mingle, then you might want to try your hand at dating after you've settled ...

• Leisure activities in Brazil
    Leisure activities in Brazil

Have you always dreamed of dancing to the rhythm of a Brazilian carnival? Do you wish to enjoy the sand and the ...

• Accommodation in Rio de Janeiro
    Accommodation in Rio de Janeiro

With an official population of about seven million people, and almost twice that number in the metro area, Rio de ...

All of Brazil's guide articles