Menu
Expat.com

Import new Vehicle from US

Last activity 20 August 2024 by planner

tylerbruce7

Does anyone have experience or know the cost to import a new US made vehicle into Dominican Republic? To be specific, it will be a "Moke". I understand shipping but the customs, duties and taxes are unclear.

planner

Moke?????

Duty depends on specific vehicle. Sales tax is 18%.  Customs fees depends on your broker. Then new plates and I think that is a ridiculous amount as well. All based on value of vehicle as assessed here not what you paid for it

SandyS_retired

@tylerbruce7  I didn't know what a Moke was until I Googled it.  Those are cool!  Love it!  So, this brings something to my mind:  Planner said the Customs tax will be based on the value of the vehicle as assessed here - not what you paid for it.  Since a Moke is somewhat unusual and customizable, I wonder how Customs will assess its value.  Maybe a qualified shipper can help you figure that out. 

On a different note:  the first "Cybertruck" (Tesla's great, ugly, tank-looking thing they call a truck) was just imported to the DR a few weeks ago.  It's the first and probably the only one in the country, meaning, Customs would've had no clue what the assessed value would be for here.  I'm guessing a Moke might fall in that same "unique" category.

UncleBuck

The other aspect is trying to find parts and a competent person to repair it when it breaks, or you get in a collision.  You'll have to import all the parts yourself, at a considerable expense, and hope you find someone that maybe knows what they are doing.  Especially with an electric vehicle.  Having a "one of one" is cool, until you can no longer drive it, and it sits in your driveway for half a year waiting for parts.  I also wonder if insuring it will be difficult, because the insurance company has no idea of its value here, either?

windeguy

Reasons not to do this:

1 Customs

2 Customs

3 Customs

4 18% ITIBIS

5 First Vehicle license cost

6 NO spare parts

7 NO mechance that can fix them

8 A virtually unknown vehicle

Did I miss any reasons?

windeguy

Customs has a book they use for the value.  Or they just make  up a price and that's it.

A guess would be add about another 12 to 15 thousand dollars to get it here and then the nightmares of keeping it going start.

WayneColeman

Yep, I agree. I considered importing but the fees are ridiculous. Second,  I found a 2015 MG at a great price, low mileage.  How cool is that? Then, I thought about repairs, parts, etc. Decided against it.  Finally safety. You don't want to advertise that you are an "extranjero" Bad idea

windeguy

When DR-CAFTA came on line, the idea was to get rid of tarrifs and duty on US made products including cars in the DR.  When that happened, the DR jacked up it's first license taxes which all but eliminated the benefit of the duty reduction. 

I called the US foregn trade office and spoke to the US official in charge of such things,  he said there was nothing they could do about such local taxes after the product was already through DR customs.  And so it goes.  The DR still gets its money.  And I do see a lot of Fords and a few Chevy's here now.  Domincans always liked "JEEP"etas.

windeguy

Regarding parts. I was on of the first to purchase a new Hyundai Santa Fe in 2003 in Santo Domingo.

I became an expert at importing parts for it because the dealer, Magna Motors, did not stock them.

Beware that the car you buy has a supply of parts for it locally or you will become an expert at importing them yourself or you will pay a mechanic a pretty penny to do so while your care is out of commission for weeks.

Tippj

Being the Moke is electric you might save $$$

i heard they tax on the cyc(6) or (4) and they go really easy on the electric vech.

sharonnickerson

I have never seen a charge station fir an ekectric car in the DR Do they have them?

planner

Yes there are quite a few BUT  definately not enough.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Dominican Republic

All of the Dominican Republic's guide articles