Login.gov Phone Number

I received an email from the US Social Security Administration telling me that I need a Login.gov or ID.me account.

I tried to create a Login.gov account but my virtual (Google) phone number wasn't accepted.

Any suggestions?

@alan279,

I use my Brazilian telephone number(s). They work.

Oddly, for me to get to SSA after entering login.gov I have to use id.me which I ALSO use my Brazilian telephone number(s) for SMS verification.

But then I get there!!!

mberigan

Hi,Matt,

I hust found this on login.gov:

We match your phone number with records to verify your identity. The phone number that you use to verify your identity must be based in the United States, which includes phone numbers in all U.S. territories.

@alan279

Did you put the +55 prefix in front of your number when you entered it? A quick google search infers Brazil numbers are supported for login dot gov.

Google ”International Phone Number Support Login gov ”

I would the link, but I don't have the power. I sent you a private message with a link.

FYI - I just logged into my login.gov. I was able to add my Brazilian phone number. They sent me an SMS with the code, and now my Brazilian phone is also in my account along with my US number. so it appears they support Brazilian numbers. Good luck.

so instead of using your Google voice number. Use your Brazilian phone number, I assume you have a Brazilian phone number

I don't know why it is this way BUT I get to my SSA by logging on to LOGIN.GOV which then allows my to access my SSA via ID.ME. In-other-words, I need accounts on both.

If I select access to SSA on LOGIN.GOV by another means....

The 3 methods are:

• Sign in with Login.gov
  • Sign in with ID.me <<<<<<<<<<<
  • Sign in with Social Security Username

..... my only successful path is via ID.me

When I do that I'm advised that I am LEAVING the Social Security website.

I have to enter my ID.me username (email) and password

I get another SMS code to my Brazilian phone

That entered I get another "Terms of service agreement"

And then I'm in the SSA website

It seems a bit clunky but I get there - which is all that matters.

mberigan

With a suggestion by bepmoht I tried the link:

https://secure.ssa.gov/RIL/SiView.action

1st try

via link using login.gov = needed USA home address so I couldn't go forward

2nd try

via ID.me option = got in quick

Thanks bepmoht!

I now have a login.gov account, but ssa.gov wants a US address and phone number.

I'll create an ID.me account.

@bepmoht I added my Brazilian phone number to login.gov.  I can receive SMS. Thanks!

@alan279 Congratulations! I had to stop off at the SSA office in R.I. on my trip to the USA to solve this one.

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg

@mberigan I finally am verified by ID.me. It wasn't easy. I used my passport and Medicare card as primary IDs.

I did a quick video call.

And ssa.gov authenticates me via ID.me and displays an error.

@alan279

If you have a USA based VPN connect to it and try the SSA again. See if you get the same error.

Good luck!

I don't have a VPN.

Alan,

I don't use a VPN.

Here' how the flow goes for me:

Starting at https://secure.ssa.gov/RIL/SiView.action

• Signin with ID.me
  • "You're leaving the Social Security Website"
  • Check "OK"
  • Signin to ID.me
  • "Text me" via cellphone
  • "Complete your signin (has space for code sent via SMS)
  • "You are now returning to Social Security Admin."
  • "Terms of Service"
  • Check "I agree" in the checkbox
  • Check "OK"
  • BOOM! I'm in.

No go?

Seriously, It could be easier but this is a pretty short path.

Let me know Alan!

07/26/24 If you download and install the ID.me Authenticator app on your phone, you can use that rather than a US phone number for the two-step verification.

@abthree Hi, AB3. I have Passkey as my multi factor authentication (MFA) on my Android phone. I login to ID.me with my fingerprint.

@alan279 I just setup SMS on my Android phone with a Brazilian number as backup MFA.

I can't login to ssa.gov from my iPhone. The OK button on the redirect page to ID.me doesn't work.