Cash payment

Awkward visit from the desentupidora today.  I.e., unstopper of drains.  I arranged for this by phone.  They gave me an idea of how their charges work - first hour, extra time past that - and indicated someone would be there this afternoon.  He showed up earlier than expected, and worked longer than expected due to various peculiarities of the house.

Then, his stuff all packed up, he says, well, you can pay me here, or pay the office and pay like €100 more for the IVA tax.

I have bought some things from individuals and didn't pay IVA, but wasn't expecting this and didn't really like the sound of it.  Anyway, who's got €420 cash on hand?  I pay for almost everything with cash, but not the big stuff.  So I told him I'd just as soon pay the office.

He has to call up the boss.  All this has been in Portuguese, and the boss speaks English.  Sort of.  The boss calls me, and says if I want, I can pay "our friend" cash and save €100.

I try to explain, more or less by way of an excuse, that I don't have this amount of money laying around on hand, but unfortunate communication problem ensues - he apparently thinks I'm telling him I don't have the kind of money to pay for his services.  (As far as I can tell, there is no unambiguous translation for "cash".)

I think we got this straightened out, the payment has been transferred from my bank account, and we parted on good terms, but next time, will look to someone else.  Now I have to engage the services of a "pedreiro", which I think may be a very ambiguous category, to break up the finished basement and fix a broken pipe that was discovered in the process, but I expect this will follow a more formal process and there won't be any cash payments under the table.

I never did really find out what they were thinking, though.  Would my Portuguese neighbors have gone into the house and come out with €420 in small bills?  Would they scoot over together to the nearest Multibanco, and get the amount in a few of the €150 maximum withdrawals?  I can send money to individuals from my bank account, but no one mentioned that as an option, possibly a little too conspicuous if you're dodging the tax man.

The language barrier was a minor but real problem.  The guy was a fairly clear speaker, considering, but not much like someone raised in our central area, where I dare say the Portuguese is significantly easier to understand.  Anyway he was not the easiest.  There were a few times I just couldn't get what he was trying to tell me, though happily I don't think I missed anything important.  They knew when they dispatched him that I was not a native speaker.  The boss is probably the only one there with any English, and his is really none too good.  Maybe if you have little or no ability to communicate verbally, they can still get the job done, though it would take longer and be more haphazard.

Also ... not to make a blog out of this, but ... the contact form on their web page?  Don't expect anyone to ever look at that.  Try it sometime, and also put your request in a bottle and throwing it in the Atlantic, and see which yields more reliable results.

I think a lot of misunderstandings are due to different cultures, to me Portugal appears to be a people to people culture so Locals and local tradespeople are very direct when it comes to money and payments, they workout beforehand and will even put limits then avoid  the HOW MUCH? when the work is finished.  As for local buisnesses using the interweb that has never really worked as to be taken seriously they like to meet you and talk in person, it always seems amusing for people to suggest getting multiple estimates for small building works because they have done an interweb search and found a load of websites but just don't understand that in Portugal a website in not real life. No comment on cash and a no tax discount on the payment.

@Strontium After almost 10 years in Portugal my impression is similar to yours. Us as foreigners have to adapt and make the best of of it.

I love the "fact" that local person to person gets stuff done. Eggs appear in a bowl by the front door (which is not locked). Local egg person sees me and we "chat" they settle the account using their brain and taking some of the money I've left on table on kitchen table. The balance, plus or minus, is carried forward in their head.  My door is not locked as I've lost the key bacuse I've no reason to lock it.

I love the "fact" that local person to person gets stuff done. Eggs appear in a bowl by the front door (which is not locked). Local egg person sees me and we "chat" they settle the account using their brain and taking some of the money I've left on table on kitchen table. The balance, plus or minus, is carried forward in their head.  My door is not locked as I've lost the key bacuse I've no reason to lock it.        -@Strontium

What a "sweet" image of a Portugal that only exists (?) in remote villages..... let's not generalise, OK? ....

Awkward visit from the desentupidora today.  I.e., unstopper of drains....    -@donn25

Something similar has happened to me. I used a phone number from a leaflet that someone left in my mailbox (24h service, something like that)...) because of a plumbing problem. Two brazilians appeared....

They took 15 minutes aprox and I was charged 350 euros... I had to go to the ATM to withdraw money. No invoice. That's how it usually is. If you want an invoice, you have to pay +23% IVA ...

And by the way, run away from these so-called Brazilian professionals, +50% of them are good cheats ...

Ha ha, this outfit seemed to be all national, but  I don't think I really got the premium work here either.  Quick and dirty may be sort of the nature of the business.  The actual unstopping part was done with a motorized snake that beat up the little round plastic junction box pretty bad.  The work kind of bordered on frantic.