Looking to retire to Ragusa,

Hello, I'm practising my Italian but do you think I'll be able to get by with little Italian, English and a Google translator. I don't want to appear rude?

if you plan on living there ,enrol in a language school.you will feel isolated not being able to communicate

@morriskrysy . Ciao! I have retired to a little town in Basilicata and I have to say that I was in no way prepared for the complete lack of English in this region. I had used Duolingo for a year or so and thought I was more or less on top of it, but I had my builders running interference and didn't notice how little I knew . Long story short, no. My advice is to start taking lessons (I do it online through Preply) and don't stop.It will transform your experience here. Plus they say it's an excellent brain work out.

learn Italian and some Sicilian.  Otherwise youll always be on the outside looking in.  The clients Ive had who have steadfastly not learned Italian are the ones that chucked it in and went home after a couple of years because they didnt fit in, felt lonely, etc.