Mobile phone plans in Vietnam

Hello everyone,

Staying connected while living in Vietnam remains a priority for expats, especially when choosing a mobile operator or to understand the local specificities of mobile plans.

Here some elements to consider:

How to choose your mobile operator in Vietnam?

What documents are required to subscribe to a mobile plan in Vietnam?

What criteria should you consider when choosing a plan matching your needs?

Are e-sim cards a suitable option for expats? What are the conditions?

What are your local tips for saving money on your mobile plan, especially for international calls (apps, operators, etc.) or mobile data?

Feel free to share your experiences and advice to choose your mobile plan as an expat in Vietnam.

Thank you for your contribution.

Cheryl
The Expat.com Team

It's a no brainer to get a SIM card from the national carrier who owns and maintains the network in most Western countries . I had Mobifone SIM cards when I was a tourist in Vietnam but since I've been living and working in Nam I've used the same number and the same plan with Viettel . It's always cost 90k vnd (3 quid) a month for their highly reliable internet connection whilst I'm out and about . Expats will need the internet for Google maps (or the like) although now I usually leave my phone at home because I know where I'm going 90% of the time . As for international calls? It's again a no brainer to download the My Tello app . I loaded it up with $10 during the scamdemic and I've spent literally hours on the phone cumulatively over the years hanging on waiting on customer service help lines in various countries and I still have just under $8 in the account . Trying to save a couple of quid when you're throwing your money down the drain on a rental rip off, Western junk food, motorbike rentals, Grab, or locally brewed Belgium beer, is madness . Get your priorities right . I flip flop on my apartment internet connection between Viettel and VNPT in order to get a new modem every few years . Any internet issues in rented accommodation are usually due to an ancient, and filthy, modem blowing in the wind and the owner not willing to give his internet provider the boot.

It's a no brainer to get a SIM card from the national carrier who owns and maintains the network in most Western countries . I had Mobifone SIM cards when I was a tourist in Vietnam but since I've been living and working in Nam I've used the same number and the same plan with Viettel . It's always cost 90k vnd (3 quid) a month for their highly reliable internet connection whilst I'm out and about . Expats will need the internet for Google maps (or the like) although now I usually leave my phone at home because I know where I'm going 90% of the time . As for international calls? It's again a no brainer to download the My Tello app . I loaded it up with $10 during the scamdemic and I've spent literally hours on the phone cumulatively over the years hanging on waiting on customer service help lines in various countries and I still have just under $8 in the account . Trying to save a couple of quid when you're throwing your money down the drain on a rental rip off, Western junk food, motorbike rentals, Grab, or locally brewed Belgium beer, is madness . Get your priorities right . I flip flop on my apartment internet connection between Viettel and VNPT in order to get a new modem every few years . Any internet issues in rented accommodation are usually due to an ancient, and filthy, modem blowing in the wind and the owner not willing to give his internet provider the boot.

-@Tediuki

Thanks for the very useful tips ! I will try to remember them next year when we come back to Vũng Tàu !

@Tediuki I'm not familar with My Tello app, I generally call back home through FB messenger but I did put $10 on skype which I used some years ago, but the two times I dialed for other reasons the amount dropped pretty quickly so maybe I will My Tello app.

@Dannyroc3

not familiar with tello. can somebody give a little more detail i.e cost, contract? i have been using magic jack phone. it only can make/receive call to/from the u.s for just 45$usd