Reasonable TV provider/configuration

I'm helping an "old" friend in Germany with getting a TV setup in place. She had an analog solution in place that now has been decommission. She now  got an Internet connection (ISP Vodafone) simply a router/wifi nothing more.

She is most like not interested in any premium streaming services, my guess that is would like to be able to see the public services ARD and ZDF.

What solutions are available,  having the cost in mind?

I have two in mind.

1) Apple TV + a TV monitor. It looks like ARD and ZDF do have apps for Apple TV in Germany. It appears to be a upfront cash investment without any subscriptions.

2) Vodaphone GigaTV box for internet + a TV monitor. Same here it looks apps are available from ARD and ZDF on the Vodaphone GigaTV box. It appears that the Vodafone GigaTV always comes with an subscription (~ 10 € / month). The upfront cash investment might be less if with GigaTV box is included in the subscription.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.

Burt

If public stations are sufficient, there is no need for a TV provider or solution: All programmes are available on the Internet for free!

Sorry for not disclose the full context. The person involved is 80+ with no computer expirance, does not even have a mobile phone. Of cause the obvious choice would be to give her a laptop but my feeling is that it would be a too step challenge to master a computer. A on/off button and a remote control that is where the threshold is .