Availability of UK medication in Bali or available alternatives.

Hi, although only in her 40's my wife suffers from numerous health conditions and is always in constant pain. We are trying to emigrate to Bali for a more relaxed way of life, less pressure and to better, and lengthen, her quality of life.

Before we can emigrate we need to ensure we can either obtain the prescribed medications she is on from a clinic/pharmacy in Bali. Or, where the same medication is unavailable, and there locally available alternatives?

We expect that many of her medications will be available on prescriptionmin Bali but the pain medication and one other are most likely restricted, which may not be an issue, or illegal altogether. As an example, she has three opioid based pain killers and has rescribed Morphine in our home. We know that opioids are either restricted or illegal in Bali. But, are they restricted but available on prescription, or just not available at all? There must be Indonesian pain alleviating medications, so something must be available as an alternative.

If anyone has personal experience, works in a clinic or pharmacy, or can provide contact details for someone we can contact we would be very grateful. If we can't medicate my wife then we just can't go, it's as simple as that, and that would be a great shame.

So, thanks in advance to anyone that can help us out with this.

All the best, Andy and Georgina (Bedfordshire, UK)

You may be restricting your search results buy typing Bali rather than Indonesia.

Bali is only an area.

The other point is, depending on where you are thinking in Bali, living stress might well be higher.

The Kuta area is not what I would call stress free. The traffic can be terrible and there are drunks are all over the place, especially when the sun goes down.

Then add the pestering you get from con artists and assorted travel agents on the street who have to be given a solid "Get lost" before they leave you alone, then the next one comes.

Bali also has a street drug problem you don't get in most of Indonesia.

I'm assured the north is far better but I have yet to travel there.

Hospitals vary all over Indonesia. The cheapest are pretty basic, but the best are five star hotels that offer the best of everthing.

As for opiates, they are controlled so only a doctor or someone with experience can tell you how commonly they are given to those with a medical need.

If you search for "Indonesia" rather than Bali, you have a better chance.

Hi Fred, thanks for your response. It's very interesting and helpful.

When we are doing our searches, yes, we do relate them to Indonesia, not just Bali. It's a good point to raise though.

Living in the Kuta, Legian area does sound quite stressful to us but we don't want to be living in the busy or touristy areas. We were thinking of somewhere a bit quieter. Probably the wider Ubud area, further up the coast from Canggu or around the Sukawati area.

Thanks again Fred. A&G