Cheap(er) places to live in Portugal with children

Hello,

we are planning to explore and move to Portugal in the next year and we would like to know which cities/places you consider ideal or better than others regarding raising a family as well as cheaper.

This will help us a lot in deciding which places to visit as well to consider living.

Thank you in advance!

@Karuna8 Maybe you have to let us know some more details to get a good answer. This should include why you have selected Portugal over other nations. And, what lifestyle and schooling you want for your children.

@TGCampo Sure, I am new here and first time using this kind of forum/platform, therefore I really appreciate your guidance and questions.

First of all I am a single mother and I am considering Portugal, to move there with my daughter (she is 4 years old now and will be 5-6 till the time we will be able to make the move), because it is a beautiful country (I love the colorful neighborhoods and the stunning beaches), it is cheaper than other EU countries, it has a slower pace/ more laid-back kind of living, yet it feels very warm and vibrant.

I wish to home-school my daughter and this is another major reason why I chose Portugal, plus in my home-country this is considered illegal. Our lifestyle is simple, intentional and it is important for us that people around us are warm, supportive, friendly, they care for their fellow humans and they have a sense of community.

Finally I am looking for a place that my daughter can have access to activities, and other family-friendly options as well as museums and communal spaces/activities where both adults and children can share or integrate their interests/activities - this is another important reason why I consider Portugal, as I have read this somewhere, but I don't know if this is more apparent in some parts of the country.

One last note is that both me and my daughter are very playful, creative and social, we love being out in nature, connecting with other people, exploring new things and helping other people.

Thank you so much in advance.

Here's some support on homeschooling in Portugal. It is allowed, but subject to a few rules:

https://www.cgd.pt/Site/Saldo-Positivo/ … stico.aspx

From your description, I can see that you're looking for an alternative way to educate your daughter. Why not opt for this educational system, with children with parents from various countries? You could get in touch with them and find out more about the location, the school, the teaching method, etc. The location is Alentejo region, lifestyle is simple there, with warm people, sense of community, etc.

Tamera, School of Hope, Escola da Esperança, Odemira

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 41#5421278

(Post #13)

@Karuna8 Thanks for the additional information. Overall I think that you would still be best off in the vicinity of a larger town or city not too far from the sea. Work opportunities don't seem to be an issue as you don't mention that topic.

The best medium term educational options will definitely be available in Lisbon and Porto, which are both close to the sea and have lots of cultural events for people from all walks of life. Maybe have a look at the website idealista.pt to find out about rentals and sales prices. Google Maps will tell you how well connected an area is.

Currently there is quite a hype around Portugal, which is not always warranted (my opinion). As a result prices can be higher than expected. Also, Portugal might be consicered a warmer country, but due to the lack of heating in many houses/apartments it can get very cold during the winter.

There's many  towns, such as Coimbra. which have the facilities hospitals, transport, shops, markets, schools,  normal people require and where families work and live. To integrate it is easier if children attend local schools where their class mates speak Portugese and so, usually, become their friends - the children's parents/guardians also become known to each other and thus also integrate and become part of the local community.  It may be isolating to "home school" in an enviroment where parent and child are taking a different path to the inhabitants. Obviously I assume your and your child are not Portuguese speakers!

@Strontium Hello, there is a great misconception about homeschooling which is not the main subject here as I haven't asked your opinion whether I should, or not homeschool my child. Before making assumptions and giving unsolicited advice I would recommend that you actually get to know what homeschooling or worldschooling is and you will rest assure that what you described is a faulse view which doesn't exist. Lastly school integration and life or world integration are totally different things and there is not only one way to do so. Maybe you didn't understand what I am describing in my second post. I would appreciate that you ask more questions if you don't know or understand something, because people don't make life choices out of the blue, they have a background history which you have no idea about. So please be careful!

Nevertheless thank you for the rest of your suggestions.

Yes, we know an American family whose two children took different paths in school.  The one was going to a British expat school was basically re-taking remedial Portuguese every year.  The one who was going to local schools was talking to the neighbors.  I'm sure there are many ways it can work out - it's kind of amazing to me that a child can drop into a school conducted in a foreign language and learn it on the spot, but I guess a lot of immigrant children do this in America.

FAQ homeschooling in Portugal - This article may be useful.

https://www.ericeiraliving.com/homescho … questions/

Education - Gov website

https://www.dge.mec.pt/ensino-individua … -domestico

Hi @Karuna8

Nice that you consider Portugal as a place to live :)

I can recommend Tomar - We've moved here 18 months ago and we really like it. Perhaps its a bit small for your liking bug there are always activities and sports for the kids. The main issue with Tomar is job opportunities but it depends what you do. I know few families doing homeschooling - let me know if you want more information :)