Menu
Expat.com

Long term rental Villamartin

Last activity 21 September 2024 by Lmflmf1

Kenmc298

Hi im Ken  from Dublin Ireland .im looking to rent an apartment in the villamartin area costa blanca ..near Villamartin Golf Club ..I found a property on the idealista website .they look for bank transfer deposit ..I have not yet seen the apartment  .is this usual ?  Is it safe to send money ?

gwynj

@Kenmc298

Idealista is a reputable website, so it's probable that most of their listings are legitimate. But it's obviously possible for fraudulent ones to sneak in there too.

We all want money. If I'm a scammer, I want you to send me money. If I'm a landlord, and you want to reserve my apartment (whether or not you've seen it), I want you to send me money. So wanting money is not evidence of the scam. But, perhaps asking for it as the first thing out of my mouth would not be an encouraging sign. :-)

Renting remotely (by sending money in advance) is a risky proposition. I prefer to avoid it, by doing my search when I arrive in the country. Even then you have to be careful, but you're usually pretty confident when someone unlocks the apartment, shows you around, and has a rental contract and ID for you. :-)

If you really have reasons for renting in advance, try to rent from agents who have multiple listings on Idealista, and their own direct website (so you can contact the agency). And get some kind of virtual viewing, or some documentation (ID, proof of ownership, rental contract, bank account that matches). Nah... that's a pain in the ass... get a short-term rental on Airbnb or Booking, and do your search when you arrive in Spain.

Lmflmf1

@Kenmc298

Do not send anything!  Wait until you are face to face to do the deal.  if they say: ”The apartment could be sold/rented at any time

so we can hold it for you with a deposit.”  Just tell them that there are many apartments for sale so you will just wait until you see the place face to face.  if they arent ok with that, then just walk away with a smile…

Articles to help you in your expat project in Spain

• Accommodation in Spain
    Accommodation in Spain

From picturesque coastal towns to bustling city centers, Spain offers a wide array of options for anyone hoping to ...

• Accommodation in Tenerife
    Accommodation in Tenerife

Tenerife is the largest and most populous of the seven Canary Islands, a Spanish archipelago in the Atlantic Ocean ...

• Accommodation in Seville
    Accommodation in Seville

Seville is a southern Andalusian city that's easy to fall in love with. The Moorish architecture works of art, ...

• Accommodation in Valencia
    Accommodation in Valencia

Valencia is the capital of the province of Valencia, a Mediterranean destination of striking architecture, vast ...

• Choosing your neighbourhood in Madrid
    Choosing your neighbourhood in Madrid

Location is probably the most important determining factor when purchasing a home. You see, no matter how much you ...

• Accommodation in Malaga
    Accommodation in Malaga

Malaga is a busy port city on southern Spain's Costa del Sol, a place that blends ancient history with the ...

• Accommodation in Barcelona
    Accommodation in Barcelona

Barcelona sits on the coast of north-eastern Spain, the capital and largest city in the autonomous community of ...

• Popular neighbourhoods in Seville
    Popular neighbourhoods in Seville

Once you have decided to make the beautiful city of Seville your home, the next order of business is finding a ...

All of Spain's guide articles