Remote Working Jobs

Hi All, I hope you are well!

Does anyone in this community work remotely (is a digital nomad of sorts) from Morocco? If so, where did you find your job advertised?

Or do you know of any British companies operating in Morocco?

Thank you.

Is it permitted in Morocco? How would that work vis-à-vis, tax, residency, etc.? I do not know the answers to these questions, by the way. But I have learned that *nothing* is easy or straightforward here.

I suppose you could work online while based in Morocco on a tourist visa. How would anyone ever know?

Hi Bill, I hope you are well.

You're absolutely right, nothing is straightforward there!

My plan is to have a job with a company based in the UK/Europe/US that allows for remote work and is fully remote. Then I would just stay in Morocco on a tourist visa, I know I would have to leave every 90 days for the first year or before I secured residency but that would not be a problem.

It's finding a a fully remote job that is the issue.

@aviator1

Leaving and coming back every 90 days is not a problem (I have previously just gone to Ceuta for a day-trip), but how would you intend to secure residency? I can foresee problems with the authorities grasping the concept of 'remote work'. Remember that you will need employment *in* Morocco to gain 'residency' or will require proof of income, such as a salary letter. If said letter is from a US or European company, but you work in Morocco, then you will require an employment visa from/for Morocco and will have tax liability, etc., etc., blah, blah.

To be quite honest with you, my initial thought would be this: If it was possible to work remotely in Morocco then why aren't there 'digital nomads' here? In fact, why have I never met a single remote worker in Morocco?

Thank you for your reply Bill.

I would apply for a carte sejour, I have a friend who has successfully applied, he has a business in the UK and so was able to show the income from that. In my case, I am married to a Moroccan citizen, our marriage is registered in Morocco and I have an alternate stream of income that I am able to show.

I have actually come across quite a few digital nomads from America. Unfortunately for me, the companies they work in, who are flexible and do accommodate remote out of country working, only extend this to US citizens. 

What is it you do?

That all sounds okay then!

What do I do? As little as possible!

My wife and I (she is Moroccan) are leaving the country soon. Unfortunately, we do not see much if any future here.