Menu
Expat.com

Why Do Expats Fall for Scams in Indonesia So Easily?

Last activity 12 October 2024 by wyngrove60

Ryan_chaniago

As a local who’s worked in various fields like catering, event organizing, hotels & now IT sector, I often hear stories from tourists & expats about getting scammed in Indonesia. Honestly, it frustrates me sometimes. I wonder, why do so many people trust these scammers? Meanwhile, I, as someone who genuinely wants to help & has relevant experience, often get overlooked. 😓

I’ve offered my services, whether it’s in IT for restaurants, hotels, or even just general advice on avoiding scams, but it feels like trust is given more easily to people who end up deceiving them. As a local, I know the ins & outs, what’s right & what’s wrong here. Event not a 100% I know the everything.

BTW, I just watched a video from youtube https://youtu.be/IVjRY5fygpI?si=HAUtPVqGepwMKu3A, & once again I felt saddened by the issues Yana faced. But at the same time, I really appreciate how much Yana respects & values our culture. Thank you, Yana.

Has anyone else had similar experiences? & from your perspective, what can we locals do to help make expats feel safer & more trusting? 😊

Fred

Bali has more than its fair share of scam artists. The reason for this is easy enough to work out, it also has more than its fair share of idiot tourists.

wyngrove60

Ryan, I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying you are always looking for a job in hospitality and other fields but find it hard to get a job?

The bit about tourists getting scammed is always brought up on the TA website. I think many tourists are just plain gullible and too trusting. The people that stand on the street corners promoting the Karma Timeshare scams look honest and trustworthy, so anyone who is not cautious might fall for it. Also in the west, it's considered a bit rude to walk away when someone is talking to you, so that's another reason why people stay and listen.

Another scam are dishonest money changers who magically make bank notes disappear when exchanging money. I experienced it more than 20 years ago in Legian.

You don't ned to offer your services to prevent scams. In my opinion the Balinese government/tourist police should be the ones taking action. There could be leaflets in hotel receptions listing the most common scams and what to do if you feel you have been cheated. For example, if you are being cheated at a money changer then call the police. For the Karma Time share promoters who tell you you've won a prize, just walk away instead of listening to them.

It's also not just foreigners that are being scammed, a couple years ago in Bandung a place set up selling new cars at ridiculously cheap prices. Not sure if people were paying the full prices or just deposits, but a lot of money was paid to the scammers and then the place suddenly shut down. So scamming is targeted at the not so cautious whether tourists or locals.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Bali

• Working in Bali
    Working in Bali

The multi-faceted island of Bali offers many opportunities for those who wish to move from tourist to ...

• Accommodation in Bali
    Accommodation in Bali

If you are planning to relocate to Bali, housing is a critical part of your project. So how to find your ...

• Studying in Bali
    Studying in Bali

Even if Bali is renowned as a major tourist destination, the island is by no means limited to its idyllic ...

• Buying property in Bali
    Buying property in Bali

Should your experience as an expatriate in Bali make you want to settle down permanently, you might want ...

• Making friends in Bali
    Making friends in Bali

Being an expat in Indonesia can be a daunting experience. Everything from the language barrier and the culture ...

• Bali's labour market
    Bali's labour market

With its idyllic beaches, lush mountain ranges and charming smiles, it's impossible not to fall ...

• The work culture in Bali
    The work culture in Bali

The work environment in Bali varies from company to company, but in general, it is closely linked to the overall ...

• Adjusting to the culture in Bali
    Adjusting to the culture in Bali

Bali is idyllic, and its people are welcoming and charming. This is what comes out of various reviews and ...

All of Bali's guide articles