Menu
Expat.com

Shipping motorbikes into Bali from Australia

Last activity 24 October 2024 by wyngrove60

Fiona Monteath

my husband in Australia has been asked to help set up a business in Bali which involves shipping brand new bikes into Indonesia, a touristy thing with someone already living in Bali.  He has about 13 or 14 bikes.  We know there will be a tax etc and we possibly can't ship direct into Denpasar (most likely via Singapore), any advice how we can do this would be appreciated

Fred

Most tourists can't ride legally in Bali.

If they are big bikes, most Indonesians are the same.

Factor in possible police consfication of your stock.

strwbery26

Fred:  always seems to have ( " spot on " ) good advice!!!!!!So: yes could ne a complex undertaking !!!!!!!!!

Ryan_chaniago

Not only the police, but when you're goods arrive at the port or airport, your shipment will definitely be held by customs. Not a few people have to bite their fingers because their goods are held by customs. Due to not having complete permits, or other things. then the goods will end up being confiscated for who knows how long until finally the auction process. The first thing you have to do is work with a company or local importer who has a bicycle import permit if in large quantities. Through the Singapore route, it will not guarantee that your goods can enter easily. If 1 item, you can trick it into being a gift. But know that customs are very observant. They can find out your cunning process in trying to get goods into Indonesia.

That was a bitter experience that my brother had when 10 of his items were held by customs. Unfortunately, the buyers canceled their orders because they were afraid that my brother was lying, so my brother was unable to get the items out of customs. Losing items means losing a lot of money. So be careful. 😊

wyngrove60

Can I ask what kind of bikes they are? I am assuming the person in Bali already has a registered business and everything is legit? I do not know the tax for importing bikes into Indonesia but other things I have had sent here were subject to a 40% import taxi. I personally would be worried about the Customs authorities here. =I hope that these bikes are not of great value and that complications will not arise with Customs.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Indonesia

• Driving in Indonesia
    Driving in Indonesia

Traffic in Indonesia can be very overwhelming, particularly since the discipline and road conditions can ...

• SIMs are needed
    SIMs are needed

I have been living here for nearly 4 years now and 2 of them have been spent using my own transport; a ...

• Indonesian driver's license or SIM
    Indonesian driver's license or SIM

Getting your Indonesian driver's license or SIM (Surat Izin Mengemudi)  is easy and owning a car or ...

• Drive with caution
    Drive with caution

In Bali you see it everywhere. People riding scooters without helmets and doing crazy things that you would never ...

• Working in Bali
    Working in Bali

The multi-faceted island of Bali offers many opportunities for those who wish to move from tourist to ...

• Moving to Indonesia with your pet
    Moving to Indonesia with your pet

Moving to Indonesia with a pet is not a risk-free operation, mainly due to stray animals and rabies. ...

• Having a baby in Indonesia
    Having a baby in Indonesia

If you are about to have a baby in Indonesia, you should be aware that the medical services available to pregnant ...

• Accommodation in Bali
    Accommodation in Bali

If you are planning to relocate to Bali, housing is a critical part of your project. So how to find your ...

All of Indonesia's guide articles