Menu
Expat.com

Dating in Saudi

Last activity 11 September 2012 by Armand

desertwest
Piproxx wrote:

Oh my God, I can't believe I'm reading all this and it's the 21st century!  So the same rules apply to people from the west, whether they practice Islam or not???  Shocking! yikes.png

can't believe i am first to point this out, but - literally - KSA is not in the 21st century. it is the year 1433 on their current calendar. everything governmental (like your visa stamp) will have this year. 1433 totally fits though... one of the few things that make sense here.

this topic is funny and sad. i hope all of you at PNU are successful and that the women of KSA will eventually drag this place out of the middle ages.

Ackeles
toolzi wrote:
nonz wrote:

well , i just find people bit careful but see my friends dating most of time...i guess they r never caught:)

what about u ?smile.png)

shes married big_smile.png

Ssuperman

You are not breaking any laws as long as you don't get caught.

good luck wink.png

Alliecat

The way I understand it, if an unmarried man and woman are caught together (and it can be as innocent as having a coffee at Starbucks) they can both be arrested, she as a prostitute and he as frequenting a prostitute.

If you're an expat, you'll quite likely be deported.

SO.. my advice is to think long and hard about this and be very, very careful. 

Of course, if you have access to a western compound, that's a different story whistle.gif

Alliecat

Nothing is in western compounds. Why people are thinking that its paradise ??smile.png

Because the authorities aren't allowed to enter (but beware, they've been known to wait outside the gates) so people have greater freedom.

Alliecat

Wow.. you need some friends!

Alliecat
toolzi wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

Wow.. you need some friends!

! means that you are 100 % sure? )))
I know, I am bit or maybe very aggressive, but its so annoying to see whats going on around.
The idea better than nothing does not exists for me. It is or it is not !

I DO know what you're saying--I've seen it, too.  But a few good friends does make it easier smile.png

Alliecat

I plead the 5th!

Mez0

Lucky you toolz what a great that you have 2-3 parties a year you can do more than 3 times if you live in compound I wish to live in compound. ( Playing boy) lol

Alliecat
Mez0 wrote:

( Playing boy) lol

lol.pnglol.pnglol.png

Ssuperman

Well no one said western compounds are paradise, it might be for some people i don't know I can't speak for everyone but what allie was trying to say is that Hayya the "religious police" are not allowed inside any western compounds, so it is possible for two unrelated people of opposite sex to hangout in there and not get in trouble.

toolzi wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

The way I understand it, if an unmarried man and woman are caught together (and it can be as innocent as having a coffee at Starbucks) they can both be arrested, she as a prostitute and he as frequenting a prostitute.

If you're an expat, you'll quite likely be deported.

SO.. my advice is to think long and hard about this and be very, very careful. 

Of course, if you have access to a western compound, that's a different story whistle.gif

Nothing is in western compounds. Why people are thinking that its paradise ??smile.png

TheLegendLeads

Almost every week someone bumps this post waking it up. Gives (at least) me a smile every time.

Thanks EB for showing the curiosity... smile.png

DeputyOfL

Not for you guys, but for me YES!!!

shmally

i think in compound you can everything u like
but outside of compound not safe
I have bad experience haahah

Katelol
vinnie2332 wrote:

Thanks for all the info everyone!

I knew that the answer would be no, it was a topic I thought of bringing up.

aww, sorry. feeling lonely?

Ackeles
Katelol wrote:
vinnie2332 wrote:

Thanks for all the info everyone!

I knew that the answer would be no, it was a topic I thought of bringing up.

aww, sorry. feeling lonely?

im feeling lonely .. is that count tongue.png

hishamdba

Yeah, feeling lonely hmm.png

vinel1110

based from my experience living in KSA for 6years, some people tries to "date" in the city by going to the park or eat in restaurants or have parties in their flats in a group... if it just happen that you're seen as a couple and a police approach you, they will ask for the Iqama of both of you to check if you're related (they can check if you're husband and wife, etc)...if not, they will be calling both party's employer to check the relationship so if not related you might be repatriated

KENYAN PRIDE

The laws and rules here state No BUT All you need to be is be careful with your date and where you intend to meet, what i know and overheard is that all fun and action is best based indoors_ mind you not bachelor flats or flats shared with the locals !!
After been here for more than 2years i think is damn worth the risk of which the chances of been caught are 20/80 _ who will know ? How ?

DeputyOfL

bla bla blaaa

noke

Guys, thanks...
For 7 years I'm trying to find girl. The worst thing is that I actually find her (more than 6 till now), but after we agree to meet, she run away and never call back! sad.png
Now I figure it out...I had the wrong approach...europian way, ...but here is incomparably!

Must use local's way, or you stay alone smile.png
I'm just wondering what those stuff means:

1- POA. = What is this??

2- Cash.  = For what?... if no restaurants, no bars, no coffe shops, nothing of that!

3- Save Place. = Safe? What/where for example?

4- Knowledge. = About what? Cooking?!? smile.png

Maybe after all I'm not such a looser! smile.png
Please advice...
Thanks.

saimans

Everybody Steals, only the one who gets caught is the Thief !!!lol.pnglol.png

saimans

The Rules of Dating in Saudi Arabia iagree.gif

Dating in Saudi Arabia can be quite difficult, as you are aware, you can only be alone with a woman if she is your wife or direct blood relative (sister, mother, daughter) therefore mixing with women is very difficult in the open unless you have nerves of steel and very lucky!

If you are caught with a woman who is not your sister, mother, daughter or wife you are going to be in big trouble, she in even worse! You can very easily be arrested for this offense and if any lewdness is alleged you could be finding yourself spending some serious time in jail or worse!

Should the woman be married and Adultery is alleged the penalty is death, although this is usually applied only to the woman! Should you actually be sentenced to death by stoning for this offense you will only be buried to the waist, should you be able to escape then you are free, women are buried to the neck, but can also win their freedom by escaping! This is probably not the best ending to a romantic date in Saudi Arabia!

imraan007

i stand to be corrected but i think...punishment is carried out as the following
if the couple was not married and intercourse was witnessed by 4 people, the punishment is lashing by the whip.
if married couples commit adultery then it is stoning, again it has to be witnessed by 4 people.
homosexual acts are also punishable by death.
the witnesses must identify the faces and the clearly see the intercourse, otherwise their testimony will not be accepted and there is no punishment.
this rule pertains to people having intercourse publicly ( 4 people or more as witnesses). if there are less than 4 witnesses there is no punishment.
If it is not done publicly and you do not advertize it, there will be no punishment...this is not my opinion, but my reading of shariah law and since it is not my field anyone can correct me.

noke

Come on guys...you scare people.
I know here are normal girls, they need guys, but they are scared.
I just want to know is there anyone here can share expirience how to hide nicely and how to make girl feels safe?

Alliecat
noke wrote:

Come on guys...you scare people.
I know here are normal girls, they need guys, but they are scared.
I just want to know is there anyone here can share expirience how to hide nicely and how to make girl feels safe?

I think it's  IMPORTANT for people to know the consequences here. Often people on this blog (usually Saudis) act like it's okay to date and nobody is ever going to bother you.  However, this isn't the case.  Sometimes you get away with it--sometimes you don't. People need to be INFORMED in order to make clear decision about whether or not they want to take the chance.

saimans

Definitely not worth to take a chance !!! lol.....

imraan007
Alliecat wrote:
noke wrote:

I think it's  IMPORTANT for people to know the consequences here. Often people on this blog (usually Saudis) act like it's okay to date and nobody is ever going to bother you.  However, this isn't the case.  Sometimes you get away with it--sometimes you don't. People need to be INFORMED in order to make clear decision about whether or not they want to take the chance.

Could not agree more, very well said

Saudi Guy
wilson_derry wrote:

The Rules of Dating in Saudi Arabia iagree.gif

Dating in Saudi Arabia can be quite difficult, as you are aware, you can only be alone with a woman if she is your wife or direct blood relative (sister, mother, daughter) therefore mixing with women is very difficult in the open unless you have nerves of steel and very lucky!

If you are caught with a woman who is not your sister, mother, daughter or wife you are going to be in big trouble, she in even worse! You can very easily be arrested for this offense and if any lewdness is alleged you could be finding yourself spending some serious time in jail or worse!

Should the woman be married and Adultery is alleged the penalty is death, although this is usually applied only to the woman! Should you actually be sentenced to death by stoning for this offense you will only be buried to the waist, should you be able to escape then you are free, women are buried to the neck, but can also win their freedom by escaping! This is probably not the best ending to a romantic date in Saudi Arabia!

Where did you get that information from? Especially the part about burial to waist and to neck.

Furthermore, you do realize that Islamic rules don't apply to none-Muslims. Right? Worst-case scenario for a none-Muslim, is deportation and blacklisting.

Also, death/stoning sentences are not easily carried out. This rarely takes place. Even if there are 4 witnesses; someone who is accused of adultery can testify that they are innocent, and that would over-rule any testimony. Islam does not condone* the killing of innocent people.  Keep in mind that anyone who testifies falsely, is also punished by lashing, and by not being able to testify in court again.

Alliecat
Saudi Guy wrote:

Islam does not condemn killing of innocent people.

This was a pretty bad slip--I think instead of condemn, you meant condone.

saimans

@ Saudi Guy check this out.

http://leanman.hubpages.com/hub/Dating-Saudi-Girls

Saudi Guy
Alliecat wrote:
Saudi Guy wrote:

Islam does not condemn killing of innocent people.

This was a pretty bad slip--I think instead of condemn, you meant condone.

Thank you for having my back. That's what I meant to say.

wink.png

ESL, etc.

Saudi Guy
wilson_derry wrote:

Not a reliable source for Islamic rulings and information. Anyone can just Google stuff and paste them. Please don't mislead others in the future. I'll be more than happy to answer questions regarding Islam if you have any.

Saudi Guy
wilson_derry wrote:

http://quran.com/24/4-9

imraan007

sensitive...sensitive subject

noke
imraan007 wrote:

sensitive...sensitive subject

Sensitive and its not subject here at all!
I think Saudi Guy is right about the Islamic roles, it's not like "world" think. This law will not cause any injustice if implemented properly.

Anyway...not subject of our show here! smile.png

Need help...girls are calling me, but they afraid me coz I don't know "roles of dating" here.
Can anyone illuminate me? smile.png
thanks.

Alliecat
noke wrote:

Need help...girls are calling me, but they afraid me coz I don't know "roles of dating" here.
Can anyone illuminate me? smile.png
thanks.

You want to be "illuminated"?

YOU want to be "illuminated"???????

I'll freakin' illuminate you !!!!!

dumbom.gifdumbom.gifdumbom.gifdumbom.gifdumbom.gif

THERE!

Is that enough 'illumination' or would you like more? tongue.png

noke

'how to pick up girls' question is the topic you moron!
What a fu** you want me to ask?!? How to make pancakes?!

Alliecat
noke wrote:

'how to pick up girls' question is the topic you moron!
What a fu** you want me to ask?!? How to make pancakes?!

First of all, f*cktard, the subject is 'Dating in KSA," NOT 'how to pick up girls.'

Secondly, this is SAUDI ARABIA.  You want to pick up girls, go back home (but something tells me you don't have much luck there, either tongue.png).

RedGoblin

What in hell is happening on this topic..
and @AC: come on , you know better than to feed trolls..

from a fun q- to religion(woah!!) to what not...
Yikes!!

Dating in Saudi-- guess there is an adrenaline rush in avoiding the law and breaking it too.. wink.png

Closed

Articles to help you in your expat project in Riyadh

• Study in Riyadh
    Study in Riyadh

Saudi Arabia may not be one of the most well-known educational destinations. In fact, a lot of Saudi nationals do ...

• Working in Riyadh
    Working in Riyadh

As the capital city of Saudi Arabia, Riyadh is one of the biggest urban communities in the country and is home to ...

• Buying property in Riyadh
    Buying property in Riyadh

Even though Saudi Arabia has experienced significant changes in the past years, the local real estate market ...

• Compounds in Riyadh
    Compounds in Riyadh

Here is a listing of many (not all) of the compounds in Riyadh along with contact information.

• Things to do in Riyadh alone or with your crowd
    Things to do in Riyadh alone or with your crowd

Riyadh is one of the biggest and most beautiful cities in Saudi Arabia, with quite a bit to offer to expats in ...

• Getting a driver's license in Riyadh
    Getting a driver's license in Riyadh

As mentioned earlier, the purpose of writing the article is to inform expats who arrive in Saudi Arabia, ...

• Developing your social circle in Riyadh
    Developing your social circle in Riyadh

Moving to a new city is never easy, especially if you have chosen to leave your friends and family. Then comes the ...

• Discover Riyadh
    Discover Riyadh

Riyadh is considered the most beautiful city in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for many reasons, including the ...

All of Riyadh's guide articles