Menu
Expat.com

Hello from an American living in China!

Last activity 12 November 2006 by gezzie

khambagirl

Hi,
I am newly on this expat forum and thought I would say "Hi!"  Having lived in Asia for nearly 14 years (Nepal, Kazakhstan, and now China), I absolutely love living on the Tibetan plateau!!!  I am a physiotherapist and my blog is about life on the plateau, my work, sometimes the frustrations, and sometimes just random thoughts.  You can find my blog "Yak Attack" at www.yakattack.typepad.com, and please leave a note.  I am curious about other expats and their experiences in different places.

Julien

Welcome Khambagirl!

You've an internet connection in Tibet, wow! thanks.gif

Which languages do you speak there?

If you want to contribute to the Expat.com project (we'd like to build the best expatriate knowledge base), please let us know! The asian part of the wiki/resouces is almost empty ...

khambagirl

I speak English, Spanish, Nepali, Russian, Chinese, a little Kazak, and am learning Tibetan.  OK, I have moved around a lot...  Here I speak Chinese (Mandarin), and am learning one dialect of Tibetan, but since I have been on medical clinics in different parts of Tibet, I can actually speak a little of three different dialects.  Yeah, I will check out the blog project!

gezzie

Hallo Khambagirl - I thought I should say hi as I noticed we must be nearly neighbours! I'm from the UK but living in Xining, I work for an NGO here.
Unlike you I'm very new to this expat business. This is my first visit to China, I've been here for four months so far. I love my job, but can't yet really speak any Mandarin or Amdo(which would be useful for work) Its pretty frustrating at the moment as day to day life is limited out here in the wild west where there's not a huge number of English speakers!

Articles to help you in your expat project

All guide articles