Menu
Expat.com

Hello everybody,

Last activity 10 November 2011 by rokapt

Kateřina

Hello, my name´s Catherine and I am from the Czech Republic. I am new here and I'm only here for one reason. Please can someone help me?
I'm writing a graduation thesis (project) of the Czech people living in the English-speaking countries.
And I'd like to do a poll of people who just decided to live in England. I'm sure you already have some experience. I would be really incredibly grateful if you would found a few minutes for me. So if you allow I would like to ask you a few things.I would like to start by very basic question.
1) Why did you decide to live in this country?
2) Is it really easy to hold and find a well paid job?
3) Are you happier than before?
4) Is it true that the English are hostile and that it often takes a long time before they begin to accept foreigners?
5) What are the wages there? Are they very much different from the Czech Republic?
6) And would you like to return back to the Czech Republic?
If not, can you explain why?
7) What do you do in your spare time?
8) Is it expensive to live in England?
9) Do you miss something? (for exemple your family members etc...)
10) What was it like when you were there for the first time? Was it difficult for you to get used to the culture and different environment?
Thank you in advance. I look forward to your reply. Catherine

rokapt

Hi Caterina, my name is Jose Rocha from Portugal, i live in London at 7 years, before come over here i been in Dublin for 5 years, also i been as well in Prague for 2 weeks in holidays last FEB. and is a lovely city, about the questions you asked i'm feel able to answer all them because i live in UK at long time and i know this country very well include his laws and Ireland is very similar to England in almost everything, i don't mind do it for you but i would like also to request a small favor from you if you can or you know someone can help me, i'm at moment trying become a driver in Dubai, pls read my post.
1) I decide come over to this country because for my job (Driver) wages here is a lot better than my original country in Portugal, 2) At begin like any country in at world to find a well paid job takes time to get it, don't forget you're a foreign will start a new life in another country, here the English Market Work don't care at all if you was an excellent profissional in your job in another country plus you must know the English language speak and wrintting as well it will be always a very good advantage, but what they really care at real world is what experience you got here in this country and what qualifications you got here as well, after you improve yourself here rebuilding a new C.V. with your experience, getting good references from the previous employers, getting new qualifications and slowly proof you're a good profissional in this country, yes you'll get a well paid job easily but it can takes around 2-3 years, 3) Yes and not, the English society is a selfish society, the nightlife is sad, the most people live only for themselve, no natural kindness at all from the most people, the English people is a cold people, the good thing you can got here after you improve yourself here as a good profissional you can really find a job well paid and easily, after it you'll not take too long to find another one if you lost your previous job for any reason unless you was fired that will be complicate to find another one, but it's another matter otherwise no more than 2 weeks to find another one, plus you've the Social Benefits and there're enough to survive, also is important to remind you the weather here is very boring, rain almost everyday, very cold on winter, the summer is very short, 4) Not really, if you talk about London no problem, London is the most multi-cultural city of the world, no matter where you from if you're a good employer, if you really are they don't have any problems offer a job to you, 5) About the wages i can't answer because i don't know the average wages in Cze Rep., but in most cases what you earn here is enough to live and to save some money as well, 6) I can't answer as well bacause i'm from Portugal and all i can say if i could earn the same wages i earn here was in Portugal i would preffer live in my country without doubts, 7) You can do anything you want, in my case i do Gym or meet some friends but like anywhere you can do anything you like, 8) Yes if you don't earn any money here, but compares with another Europeen countries is a very expensive country in special in London, 9) Is normal when you're abroad you'll soon or later miss your family and your country, don't forget you in another country everything is different, you're a strange in a strange country, 10) In a different enviroment takes always time to adapt yourself in a different country, you didn't born here and is logic for you nothing here is familiar for you and can takes 1-2 years to get familiar with everything, after some times you'll get familiar with everything and after it your living in a different enviroment will become familiar slowly, but remember the begin is always hard here or in another country around the world because you're not from here.
Then, i hope you got the help you've been expected and if you can help me as well i'll be also very happy, if you've anything else you would like to ask me about UK you can do it.

Articles to help you in your expat project

All guide articles