Menu
Expat.com

How to learn French effectively?

Last activity 23 July 2013 by HaileyinHongKong

thktrang

Hi everyone!

I have learnt French in few months ago.
Very difficult... Do you know the best way to learn this romantic langugue effectively?

Merci beaucoup :-)

Armand

Hi thktrang!

Welcome to Expat.com wink.png

Armand

thktrang

Thank you Armand :-))

Inovi83

I'm stuck with french too. But I think if u wanna learn french easily I have two method : first method is first u have to learn another europe language before french such as spanish or german. Second search for native french friend as many as u can so with them u can directly practice your language wink.png
Ok, that's my advice good luck to u trang wink.png

butterfly12

German language has nothing to do with french language. Italian, spanish are similar to french as they all r from the same language group. In fact u dont need to learn any other language to know french but the only one - french smile.png and communication with native speakers helps a lot, also if u have some favourite songs in french u can find lyrics in internet and enjoy it enriching ur vocabulary. Learning some poems by heart also will give u complete language structures that u will use automatically in ur conversation. The main thing in speaking any language is to forget that u dont know it ))))Good luck and  lot of patience!!!

Mostafa samy

livemocha is so cool i tried it for longtime to learn hrvwasti and it`s so cool and easy

Mostafa samy

the best thing to do is to date a french guy :p

well, i was dating with italian ages ago, and it helps me alot to speak italian.

so i guess it works too with french lol!

no no, my answer is, to have a native friend and speak french with them, or if you want to be more effective, then go to the french embassy and take the language course there.

hope it helps smile.png

regards,

Mitha

ecufofej_edu_eng

My advice would be u could travel to a country where French is spoken n before to head to the place, make sure u book a course and it helps a lot when u go out for practice. Anyway that worked out so well for me with Asian languages.

Mostafa samy

You can try books which translate english words/phrases into french, this will definitely help.

sakiiina

u can also watch movies in French, add English subtitles...smile.png

k.nguyen793

Try Rosetta Stone. It's good.

Mostafa samy

hello my dear, you know c is really easy to learn french, talking constantly with Francophones, directly or virtually, you will see as far and you will take the rytmes, I'm a French, so when you want to be discussed french, ahhh j allais oublier tu es tres ravissante,

FaFane30

hello everybody, to my mind to learn the french language you can take un date with a french guy... I know someone...

seb35

Hi,

Maybe I can help you. I'm French, and if you want you could help me with my english.

Because it's difficult in both ways to learn a foreign language.

Regards

Marcoos

Go to France as an au pair...

Mostafa samy

nobody will talk to him because french people dislike talking with strangers in english

Marcoos wrote:

Go to France as an au pair...

kindlovern

My recommendation: Go to Montreal, Canada... live with canadian family for 2 wks... then u will fell the big difference in ur french.

Good luck

Nathan Calouro

First of all find out a few videos that can give you acquaintance with basic rules of the language. Then learn a few words by heard. Now try to use these words and rules while you are among the native french. However, learning a new language is definitely not an overnight process. It will take a lot of time.

ochie

date a french guy ? i dont think it help... my ex french but we spoke english everyday hahaha

parisdaisygirl

Yes, I agree that having a French boyfriend or girlfriend is the best motivator to learning a language and the best teacher. But, I've also found a simple IPhone application called (moderated) one of the best ways I've acquired my French. The fact that I can take it with me everywhere and study my French wherever I am is the best feature. And, it gives you the ability to learn vocabulary, common phrases and sentences and to listen to dialogues. It also has you review on an ongoing basis all the words/phrases you have learned which has been the best way for me to learn. Constant review is the key!! Hope it helps! Bonne chance!

Soomi1278

I am a languages teacher and the best way to learn French is to follows courses, correspond with French speakers and go to the country to speak it with nationals. It is exactly like the way people learn english they go to the country to learn but also work as an au pair or in any other field to earn money and in the same time be obliged to speak the language:)

gunkutkaran

Hi everybody,

If you wanna learn a language then you need to find a girl or women who knows that language. Once tongue touch to tonque, then it will be very easy to learn that language.)).

Gunkut

RichiF

If you are in a French speaking country, join a sports club or any other kind of club. If you aren't, then try to make French friends or force yourself to watch French TV programmes or read French newspaper. But most importantly, you have to interact with someone using the language otherwise you will never learn to use to properly smile.png

Mostafa samy

French is tough to learn. I'm always impressed with non-french speaking people who manage to speak it. I know I wouldn't learn it if it wasn't one of my 2 native language!

Don't learn another language first, it will only add to the confusion. Contrary to popular belief, Spanish and Italian are not that close to French, granted that they are all based on Latin.

Take a class and watch movies in French. Use sub-titles to help you.

Khan Musti

Yup, make a french boy friend.

chintyaputridh
sakiiina wrote:

u can also watch movies in French, add English subtitles...smile.png

Indeed!
I watched comme un chef, untouchables, petit thomas, etc
That hellppss me a loooot! wink.png

HaileyinHongKong
chintyaputridh wrote:

French Canadian?

chintyaputridh
HaileyinHongKong wrote:
chintyaputridh wrote:

French Canadian?

Hello Hailey, How ru? im sorry for this late reply
what do you mean by French Canadian?

Cheers
Chintya

HaileyinHongKong

Canada is a big chunk of ice hovering ominously above the United States.  Some of the people there - a misguided minority - speak French.  They and their language are French Canadian.

Articles to help you in your expat project

All guide articles