Menu
Expat.com

Teaching English abroad

Last activity 12 January 2008 by translatorus

oregondonor

I have recently graduated with a BA in German Language and Literature, and am looking at moving abroad.  The easiest method I'm finding of obtaining work visas, etc, is by teaching English.

I am looking for people who have done this or are currently doing this.  What language school did you go to to get certified?  What are the job prospects in Europe (preferably Central/Eastern Europe)?  What kind of pay can I expect?

Any other information would also be helpful.  I'm really trying to move back (lived in Germany last year for 12 months) and am nearly desperate.  Thanks!

Julien

Welcome on board oregondonor,

several members are teaching english abrad, I hope they'll take the time to reply to your message!

All the best,

Julien

piedmontproperty

Hi there

I live in Italy and when I first arrived I taught English. I did a CELTA course in Hastings which was pretty intense but helped when trying to get work here. Schools pay beteen 10 and 20 Euros an hour but there is always private work available. Its not to difficult I feel to find teaching work in Italy.

Cat in Rabat

Try www.daveseslcafe.com for job opportunities. Most European jobs are in Eastern Europe but there are ones for Spain & Italy too. A TESL certificate or a CELTA will land you a job quickly.

summer

Hi there

Im here in Almaty since nov 25 till now...im looking for any Expat English speaking family who needs someone to run errands for the family. Im from Phillippines... if there are enterested pls do email me..

oreneta

The CELTA course is the gold standard, with it you can get work in most any place...you can take intense short courses, or longer ones.  They teach you both how to teach, and ensure that you are up to speed on what you need to know about the grammar.

translatorus

It all depends on where you would like to move. You can get an H3 visa for the USA to do this kind of job. The only thing is that you will have to find a job offer there. Good luck.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Europe

• Setting up a business in Greece
    Setting up a business in Greece

Starting your own company or being self-employed in Greece is not easy for non-locals, let alone for non-EU ...

• Starting a business in Italy
    Starting a business in Italy

Are you interested in moving to Italy and setting up a business here? Italy's reputation for bureaucracy and ...

• Finding work in Gozo
    Finding work in Gozo

If you are planning to live in Malta, why not settle and work in Gozo? Although it is quieter than the main island ...

• Finding work in Malta
    Finding work in Malta

Malta is world famous for its postcard-worthy beaches and beautiful landscapes. Indeed, this tiny island nation ...

• Working in Italy
    Working in Italy

Are you looking to move to Italy and find a job there? In this article, we will give you tips for starting your ...

• The labor market in Spain
    The labor market in Spain

The Spanish labor market offers a range of opportunities for expats. Spain has long been a favored destination for ...

• Starting a business in Spain
    Starting a business in Spain

Starting a new business in Spain is exhilarating and daunting at the same time. For starters, there are many ...

• Setting up a business in Portugal
    Setting up a business in Portugal

From stunning beaches on the Atlantic coast and a mild Mediterranean climate to fabulous food and rich history ...

All of Europe's guide articles