Menu
Expat.com

Filipino for foreigners

Last activity 14 September 2015 by Priscilla

Nat187

Hi guys!
does anyone know - or can recommend a langusga school or a private teacher to learn how to speak Tagalog.

thanks!!

trixieandrea
Nat187 wrote:

Hi guys!
does anyone know - or can recommend a langusga school or a private teacher to learn how to speak Tagalog.

thanks!!

Hi Nat178,

Welcome to Manila.

I could recommend a language center in Ortigas Business
District. If you are interested, I could send you the
website.

Let me know.

thanks,
trixie

Nat187

yes, please. Ortigas area is good for me.

John Rapahel

wow! you are so kind with foreigners trixieandrea! keep it up!

trixieandrea
John Rapahel wrote:

wow! you are so kind with foreigners trixieandrea! keep it up!

thanks John Rapahel,

I just like to help expats here in our country and besides, one
of the noble characters that we have is the hospitality towards foreigners and co-Filipinos, though some may raise their eyebrows about it, and we cannot question and argue with them...smile.png

John Rapahel

hahaha! i can really feel that your replies to them have no selfish gain! for sure you will be blessed by God about your good heart! keep it up!

scotth

Have your tried the Rosetta stone program. Highly recommend.

Nat187

hi Scotth!
Have never heard of it. Would you be so nice to describe?

scotth

The rosetta stone program is a computer based language program, self paced. with photo/word assosiation. I used it, did one lesson, went home and asked my wife is she would like to go for a walk in tagalog. She couldnt go becuase she fainted in suprise. its a bit expensive about $400 but worth every penny. the US State Department, the US military and several other agencys use it.

trixieandrea
John Rapahel wrote:

hahaha! i can really feel that your replies to them have no selfish gain! for sure you will be blessed by God about your good heart! keep it up!

Hi John Rapahel,smile.png

Gaining trust of expats is as difficult as being investigated and scrutinized up to the smallest detail as if you did something wrong or illegal, they may ask your personal intention of doing such.  Honestly, i just like them to consider Philippines as their 2nd home. Fortunately, I have a good relation with expats I met through this site and it's very much fulfilling to be trusted by other races.

God Bless you, too.smile.png

ps. i honestly appreciate your comments wink.png

~Rosetta Stone is a CD-based program that would just familiarize you with basic vocabs but I dont think it's sufficient for you to be able to converse in Filipino language. (just a personal comment)

trixieandrea:)

versan

Hi Guys, Hi Trixie, 

In my opinion, just having someone local or filipinos to talk to everyday of your life you can learn
easily how to speak tagalog. Or maybe during your freetime you can hangout with someone like Trixie or other filipino members here.

Maybe a cup of coffee or a bottle of beer can do just for hanging around. IM sure local members here are nice and kind enough to be trusted.

Cheers!

trixieandrea
versan wrote:

Hi Guys, Hi Trixie, 

In my opinion, just having someone local or filipinos to talk to everyday of your life you can learn
easily how to speak tagalog. Or maybe during your freetime you can hangout with someone like Trixie or other filipino members here.

Maybe a cup of coffee or a bottle of beer can do just for hanging around. IM sure local members here are nice and kind enough to be trusted.

Cheers!

Hi Versan,

Absolutely, you are correct, mingling with Filipino speakers could be of help for you to learn conversational Tagalog; hangout with local members of this site or even with your colleagues (work) could also be of help.

Join us in our activities ~ i have of circle of friends who are expats and some other locals and all of them are members of this site. Once in a while, we meet-up in different places and its really fun being with the group.

ps. now i owe John Rapahel and you a cup of coffee or a bottle (bucket) for all the compliments, smile.png

i hope that i could also meet you both personally...

Cheers to everyone cheers.png

trixieandrea

John Rapahel

Hahaha! I am coming to Philippines after 18 months because my contract here is 2 years! I will not come back here anymore because this country is very strict! sad.png

Nat187

hi gyus!!
thanks for the help and your advices. I will research on that compuer program - however - someting that Im looking for is the reaaly the basic course - that will teach the reading, grammar and the basic rules.
Talking to the filippinos I know doesnt help - everyone tries to speak english with me - and then - they are not able ot explain the grammar rules.

ishar18

Nat, you can try checking out this basic grammar rules from wiki:)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tagalog_grammar

Nat187
ishar18 wrote:

Nat, you can try checking out this basic grammar rules from wiki:)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tagalog_grammar

Thanks! Seems to be a lot of useful info!

dazza1

im sure many people there willing to teach u there as philipino people are easy to talk to there are schools in manila or makati ask embassy in manila as they learnt thru a school why u live there u work there im sure gud luck

dazza1

im australian from australia and i have learnt tagalog myself as i bought a tagalog cd and its great but now im learning cebuano thats bisaya and this is harder to learn but tagalog not so hard im australian born its like this if u willing to learn something u have a goal doing this u can do the same by learning philipino dialect as its all in english just different ways spelling it i can talk there days it is alfabetic in tagalog and count in tagalog well as bisaya i learnt a word a few times then put it in a sentence but many people shocked the ay i talk it and i makosbot ka understand it more hehe musta kna lang ano ang ginagawa mo dito sa epat blog hehe anyway thats only some words words is salita in tagalog usa duha tulo is bisaya when its isa dalawa tatlo tagalog try this u be fine halika dito walang unuman dont meantion it pupunta dito same version come here dito here tagalog bisaya diha there diri here magandang hapon same good afternoon maayong hapon or updto good noon ngayon now is mekerkules bukas huwebes is thursday so im sure if u australian women u can learn this also ingat ka palagi gud luck

Kayz16

Hey.. If you want I can teach you Tagalog. We can have casual tutorials over some coffee or something. smile.png I'm a Language major and I can explain to you Filipino grammar. Just the basic and necessary aspect of it. We will not be too technical. smile.png

Panth

Kayz you're a very nice lady,So helpful.

Nat187
Kayz16 wrote:

Hey.. If you want I can teach you Tagalog. We can have casual tutorials over some coffee or something. smile.png I'm a Language major and I can explain to you Filipino grammar. Just the basic and necessary aspect of it. We will not be too technical. smile.png

Dear Kayz!  Thanks a lot for your offer!
Its so nice of you!

Kayz16

So.. Is that a yes or a no? Haha.big_smile.png

Johnny5

Let me know if you find an introductory course smile.png I'm new here too and interested in learning smile.png

Ciao for now!

Johnny

Nat187

there are smarter and cheaper ways to learn tagalog: get some good book (tagalog-english dictionary), befriend the locals who speak tagalog, surround yourself with tagalog-speaking people. eventually you'd be able to adopt the language. smile.png best way to save money especially these days smile.png

SouthSea Beauty
Nat187 wrote:

Hi guys!

thanks!!

Hi Nat,

You can try Bridge Language Center. bridgelanguagecenter.com/index-5.html

Good luck on your Filipino language learning :-)

Cheers,

JB

easyrider

I was born and raised in the USA, however my mother is French so French is my first language.  I also know Spanish (Mexican).  Before I met my wife I was in a 10 year relationship with a girl from Vietnam.I have been married to a Filipina for nearly 10 years.  She has a satellite Television subscription to TFC (The Filipino Channel). We travel to the Philippines regularly and we will be building a home there soon.  The best way I find to learn Tagalog is by using tagaloglang.com/ It's free for the basic stuff.  When I have difficulty communicating with someone who speaks a language I don't know I just grunt, point, wave my arms, and make faces.big_smile.png

Flying Fox

hello nat187
the best way online in You Tube type in learn how to speak tagalog i think its good because it one by one like kumusta ka? in English How are you? about local pilipino select which to whom you can really trust them.
viktor

tagalugin

[Moderated: No free ads please on the forum]

All right, I understand. I have already forgotten what I wrote here but I think I said I am a good teacher (minus contact details).

Yes, that's right, I'm a very excellent, well-experienced teacher :-)

seeker of truth

@Nat: You'll learn tagalog so easily, to construct a sentence in Tagalog has almost the same rules in English.
Subject Predicate, Subject Verb Predicate,etc.
And some english words are almost the same when you translate it in Tagalog.
You just have to read it by syllables as shown.   
Ill give some example

responbility - "responsibilidad"
ability - "abilidad"

Some other words or even sentences, you can check it on google translate.

Then after learning it. Try to use it when you are on the street so you'll know if they will understand you or not. smile.png
Take Care

chris_71

I am a native tagalog speaker. Im Cris 40, male in manila. Contact me: 0908330771, or email: frchris_71@yahoo.com, I would like to tutor you privately in Native Filipino Language: Tagalog..Keep in touch and take cre..

jak123
Nat187 wrote:

Hi guys!

thanks!!

Can u speak tagalog now?

tagalugin

You can also contact Agnes, she teaches Tagalog privately and she has years of experience teaching expats.

Contact #: 09278300973
Email: agnes[at]tagalugin.com

David

Hi tagalugin,

Please note that this topic is from 2012.

Thank you,

David.

seeker of truth

unfortunately big_smile.png

Bang_bang
Nat187 wrote:

Hi guys!

thanks!!

im starting to see a big demand in the expat community for this. im looking into becoming TEFL certified so i can teach tagalog and english

dainguyen

Hi guys,
I am interested in learnin Tagalog. Is there any websites that i can use as a reference.

condopilipinas

foreign and filipinos looking for the best investment of their hard earn money in the philippines.

robinsons-condo.com

Thanks!

Michael

mhien

hehehe  ....i think strict countries are good

Nicai.C

Hi Nat!

Are you more interested in a class type setting? If you are, you can try checking out learnenglish.ph (I know it says Learn English but they offer Tagalog lessons and foreign languages as well)

Cheers and good luck on your search! smile.png

Nicai.C
dainguyen wrote:

Hi guys,
I am interested in learnin Tagalog. Is there any websites that i can use as a reference.

Try checking out learnenglish.ph they offer other languages aside from English. smile.png

Closed

Articles to help you in your expat project in Manila

All of Manila's guide articles