Menu
Expat.com

Mac VS PC Laptop

Last activity 28 February 2012 by slyshooter

areace

Its been a long time discussion if which is better.  I have done my research and found Mac wins by look and feel, speed, OS, Security, graphics and so on.  Even price is almost a tie if we compare apple to apple.  However, any ideas if how it would be to introduce Mac in Windows environment now that Mac also run Windows OS? How about running Project and Visio files on Mac or create one and running on Windows machines?

TheLegendLeads

MAC is built on robust hardware and software. Windows however is handier and more 'compatible'.

Using the MAC hardware to run Windows is quite a matured & development practice now.

The file created anywhere works bidirectionery; esp in the 2 software you have mentioned.

areace

Thanks for the quick reply.  Any idea if what tools works better on Mac for visio and project?  Are they free or available at apple store?

TheLegendLeads

Microsoft business-centric applications are head and shoulders above those of MAC. For example, MSExcel & MSProject are really GREAT applications sufficiently evolved. For MAC, I know about OpenProj which runs the same across the various OSs and that also with an interface similar to MSProject.

I'd rather suggest having a Windows copy on MAC if a professional use of MSProj and Visio is required.

areace

That is what I planned for.  However, that would incur me charges for buying windows copy along with iOS.

areace

I just got a MacBook Pro and noticed issues with MS Project and MS Visio files.  Also found out that fonts goes here n there on emails sent using MS Outlook.

TheLegendLeads

Really? I have many colleagues here (even the CEO) who are doing the same and never complained about any such problem. Let me discuss and get back to you.

areace

Please do.  I need to induct these in production for top 6 in the company.  Thanks.

slyshooter
areace wrote:

I just got a MacBook Pro and noticed issues with MS Project and MS Visio files.  Also found out that fonts goes here n there on emails sent using MS Outlook.

To avoid font issue, check in any window machine which fonts are compatible as most of the beautiful basic fonts like Helvetica are not available in Windows. Try using fonts like  Tahoma, Verdana etc. which good looking ones are available with MSOffice as well.

Using a parallel Windows on Mac is nice to use Windows application but specially the new OS Lion is so slow that it destroys the experience. hope that the issue is resolved with the coming Mountain Lion.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Saudi Arabia

All of Saudi Arabia's guide articles