Menu
Expat.com

Canadian Community

Last activity 31 December 2012 by AichaKhan

prishka

GO SENATORSSS!!!!

Lived in Ottawa for four years, spent more time in Montreal though.. haha

I'd give an arm and a leg to go to Mtl right now and chill on one the cafes on St laurent...

prishka

Yea Montreal is Amazing... and what do ya think about Old Quebec?

faysg

Old Quebec is unique,nice side walk cafes ,old buildings and churches its a breath taking.

Arabian Nile

i'm an Ontario person.......go Toronto....wohooooo

faysg

Hay man I worked in Toronto for 3 years commuting to Ottawa,I am an Ontarion now for sure,left Montreal for over 30 years.Toronto is a nice city but expensive.

faysg

Hi all,that's a great idea a Canadian Community,count me in.

faysg

Hi all,what about boys meeting some were on Tahlia St,I been there once, its nice many side walk Cafes we can have dinner and a drink!!!!!!of course coffee.I been here two months and haven't made any friends outside my work circle.This will be a good chance to meet new people and make friends.

faysg

Hi all there will be a new event by INTERNATIONS Expat,every one can come on Monday, 16th of April.

Location: Al-Jawhara Village Compound in Diriya, Wade Haneefa, close to the Diplomatic Quarter.
Dinner: Open buffet: 3 main dishes, 3 deserts, soft drinks 80 SAR for Internations members, 40 SAR for Albatross members
Time: 20.00 23.00

faysg

Hope to see some of you there.Cheers.

Arabian Nile
faysg wrote:

Hi all there will be a new event by INTERNATIONS Expat,every one can come on Monday, 16th of April.

Location: Al-Jawhara Village Compound in Diriya, Wade Haneefa, close to the Diplomatic Quarter.
Dinner: Open buffet: 3 main dishes, 3 deserts, soft drinks 80 SAR for Internations members, 40 SAR for Albatross members
Time: 20.00 23.00

wow, that's great
but where is that exactly 9since i don't know much here big_smile.png

faysg

Hi, I recieved this message from INTERNATIONS EXPATS re next monday dinner,they ask for your passport # or Iqama #,I will try to make it,I am working 12 hrs shift till 730 PM and I am not far from the DQ,; This is a friendly reminder for next weeks InterNations Dinner in Al-Jawhara Compound on Monday, April 16th. Some of you had specific questions. Here are some more details:

Dress code: Smart casual

Friends: Yes, you can bring friends but we need the same detail information for the gate entrance

GPS: N24.75033, E046.55521, Northwest of Riyadh, behind Diplomatic Quarter in Ad Dir´iyah. In Dir´yah pass to the Wadi Haneefah then head north. After approx. 2 km turn left (A sign (white with green Arabic letters and an arrow to the left)to Showy Ghubairah. After 100 meters turn left again (private property) and ride up a hill. After 500 meters there is the first entrance gate.

Om Lujain

<-- Torontonian.. Living in Riyadh for over 8 years.. married with 3 kids... I think I would be way to boring for you folks wink.png

extreem101

Hi Anas,

I have been in Riyadh since beginning of April. I have been looking for Canadians to connect with, please count me in.

I am currently living in Almazr Alshimaly, not far from Olaya and Al-Oroba street.

Cheers,

Ismael

faysg

Hi guys why we don't meet some were downtown for a coffee drink!!!!!!!!!!!!!every one is welcome to join us,it will be a chance to meet each other and make new friends.

slzeik

is this page still active? any new happenings?

faysg

Yes its still active,we can meet for a coffee some were down town,I am back to Ottawa on vacation till july 18

slzeik

sure thing! message me when you are back
have a safe trip

Aneela2

Count me on me

Aneela2

I am canadian but I am in USA and my husband  is Saudi Arabia

alpha89

Hi Canadians,

There is already a Canadian Community in Riyadh, just need to know the right people. Plus register with the Canadian Embassy Events group. Lots of Canadians can be found here just need to get into the expat parties/groups.

I'm from Ottawa BTW.

Oh also - I wouldn't suggest posting your party information publically on this forum, just have an e-mail list.

Cheers

Alex

faysg

Hi Alpha89,Welcome to Riyadh;I am from Ottawa,that's awesome what part of the city do live? I live in Kanata Lakes.Love meeting some other Canadian .

puckbunny

Hello, I am from an hour east of Toronto. Considering an offer with my company for 1 year in Jubail in the new year.
Questions about taxation and implications back home in Canada. I hear tax free earnings in KSA but how does it work when you come home (do you have to cut ties at home ie sell your house etc.. for it to be considered tax free income?)  One of the many questions as I ready to review offer. I would be coming over single status while leaving family at home for the year.

alpha89

Yes you have to severe primary and secondary ties, you can find more information on the CRA website or a quick google search.

There are certain tax benefits depending on the field you are working in. For example; I'm working in the engineering industry so I will be eligible for 80% tax reduction when I return to Canada, or no taxes if I severe my ties correctly. You have to fill out certain forms, it seems to be quite the pain in the ass (I don't blame them).

I would suggest hiring somebody to do this for you. I cancelled my OHIP and severed most of my ties before I came here, including selling my car. (I don't own property)

Cheers

Alex

puckbunny

Thank you for the quick reply Alex.

I will do some morre research.

faysg

Hi all Canadians and Expats friends,Re Canadian community in Riyadh:its very difficult to get in touch with anyone,while I was in Jedah used to be a warden in the hospital where I worked and would inform every one with upcoming events,wish we can establish some thing similar in Riyadh.

Belisimo

Guys... just came across your canadian group .... how is it going? I know a couple of canadian women in Riyadh ..... one is my fiance working at Princess Naura. My compound has a restaurant that people can meet.

Greg

AichaKhan

My husband is Canadian and its been 4 months since he moved to Saudi. I will let him know of Canadian club! haha , he will be excited! But we live in Jeddah.
P.S : There are many Tim Hortons in Dubai and Abudhabi, but hubby says in Canada they taste better!

Articles to help you in your expat project in Riyadh

• Study in Riyadh
    Study in Riyadh

Saudi Arabia may not be one of the most well-known educational destinations. In fact, a lot of Saudi nationals do ...

• Working in Riyadh
    Working in Riyadh

As the capital city of Saudi Arabia, Riyadh is one of the biggest urban communities in the country and is home to ...

• Buying property in Riyadh
    Buying property in Riyadh

Even though Saudi Arabia has experienced significant changes in the past years, the local real estate market ...

• Compounds in Riyadh
    Compounds in Riyadh

Here is a listing of many (not all) of the compounds in Riyadh along with contact information.

• Things to do in Riyadh alone or with your crowd
    Things to do in Riyadh alone or with your crowd

Riyadh is one of the biggest and most beautiful cities in Saudi Arabia, with quite a bit to offer to expats in ...

• Getting a driver's license in Riyadh
    Getting a driver's license in Riyadh

As mentioned earlier, the purpose of writing the article is to inform expats who arrive in Saudi Arabia, ...

• Developing your social circle in Riyadh
    Developing your social circle in Riyadh

Moving to a new city is never easy, especially if you have chosen to leave your friends and family. Then comes the ...

• Discover Riyadh
    Discover Riyadh

Riyadh is considered the most beautiful city in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for many reasons, including the ...

All of Riyadh's guide articles