Neighborhood guidance for Lyon arrondisements

Hello! I am moving to Lyon with my French husband in a couple of months. I've been living in NYC for 10+ years, wondering if anyone had a rough comparison of what Lyon areas correspond to NYC neighborhoods?

I'm sure each area has a different vibe and I wanted to get a sense of which areas in Lyon are quiet, not too commercial, and charming, walking distance to a nice park or the river (since I have a dog). An area that is more family oriented, close to great restaurants, markets. I know I am asking for a lot, but it's worth a shot.

Hope to meet some English speakers when I get there too!
Michelle

Hey Michelle,

I'm a New Yorker from Brooklyn moved to Lyon last July.

There is really no two places alike here but if i had to group them just so you get a clearer vision of the city I would say as follows:

Bellcour - Rue de le Republique = Broadway Ave.
Bellcour SQ. = Union SQ.
Hotal de Ville, Threaux = Times SQ.
Old city - Gare St. Paul or St. John = East Village in terms of restorants.

Montchat = park slope
I can give you a more detailed list if i would know what you are serching for.

enjoy

Rocky

Thanks Rocky. Good to have a fellow NYer here. I have been to Lyon a few times now and do have a little feel for the city. We are searching (online) in the 6eme for an apartment, and it seems pricier than other arrondisements.

I am open to living in an area like Park Slope/Bklyn Hgts, UWS or Greenwich Village of NYC. Or like East Village, though I like being near open spaces, so within walking distance to the river or park is important. I will not have a car, so I will be relying on public transportation, like a true New Yorker, until I finesse my manual gear driving skills. For my husband, he needs to be able to get in and out of Lyon by car easily. The other choice is Villeurbane, perhaps? I'm sure there are lots of other nice areas, but I just don't know that well. I know I don't want to be too close to a major gare, although between Perrache and la Confluence is not bad. Am open to other suggestions.

Thanks!