Tsunami Alert?

According to the newspaper "Le Mauricien", we are on Tsunami alert at the moment. If anyone has more info,please post. Those living on the coasts,please be very careful.

An alert for the entire Indian ocean today. But the danger is passed.

The first I heard was reading your post.

Does Mauritius even have an early warning system? The newspapers might not be quick enough.

I fear that we're not quite prepared for this here.I just got news that is has been lifted,but still...

The sea might be rough,very rough.The tsunami that hit thailand and surroundings years back left the mauritian beaches 'scarred'.Compare Flic en flac now to what it was 11years back...big difference.

Hope we're going to be safe.

its not so dangerous here because we are well protected

Presumably you live closer to the middle of the island. I can only speak for places like Flic en Flac where your only protection would be an early warning.

its not so dangerous here because we are well protec

I've read some ludicrous posts on this site since I've been a member but this one really takes the biscuit.

This shows a neglectful duty to one's neighbours on the coast.

Much shame.

Oh well all over now. The first I heard of it was on MBC C1 (C3 Englishspeaking news service was down yesterday yet again) and when I checked out the Met site there was an alert...So I read up on there on what I was supposed to be doing and by 8.30pm the alert was lifted.

We're not protected.So far nothing happened but we should be vigilant.

People on this island should know more about tsunamis;what is,how to detect early signs etc..It's high time for a campaign on same.

How can I protect myself from a tsunami?

If you are in a coastal community and feel the shaking of a strong earthquake, you may have only minutes until a tsunami arrives. Do not wait for an official warning. Instead, let the strong shaking be your warning, and, after protecting yourself from falling objects, quickly move away from the water and to higher ground. If the surrounding area is flat, move inland. Once away from the water, listen to a local radio or television station or NOAA Weather Radio for information from the Tsunami Warning Centers about further action you should take.

Even if you do not feel shaking, if you learn that an area has experienced a large earthquake that could send a tsunami in your direction, listen to a local radio or television station or NOAA Weather Radio for information from the Tsunami Warning Centers about action you should take. Depending on the location of the earthquake, you may have a number of hours in which to take appropriate action.

What to Do When a Tsunami Watch Is Issued

You should:

Stay tuned to a Local radio news/Police/Coast Guard emergency frequency station or television station for updated emergency information. Most tsunami detection equipment is located at the coast. Seismic action may be the only advance warning before a tsunami approaches the coastline.

Locate household members and review evacuation plans. Make sure everyone knows there are a potential threat and the best way to safer ground.
    If any members of your household have special evacuation needs (small children, elderly people, or people with disabilities) consider evacuating early.
    If time permits, secure unanchored objects around your home or business. Tsunami waves can sweep away loose objects. Securing these items or moving them inside will reduce potential loss or damage.
    Be ready to evacuate. Being prepared will help you to move more quickly if a tsunami warning is issued.
    Bring your companion animals indoors and maintain direct control of them. Be sure that your pet disaster kit is ready to go in case you need to evacuate.
    Consider a precautionary evacuation of your animals, especially any large or numerous animals. Waiting until the last minute could be fatal for them and dangerous for you. Where possible, move livestock to higher ground. If you are using a horse or other trailer to evacuate your animals, move early rather than wait until it may be too late to maneuver a trailer through slow traffic.
Hope that helped.

Thank you Mike!

Thanks Mike! :)
We tend to remember what to do in a cyclone yet forget the info re tsunamis and its good to be reminded of what action we should be taking. I live in Pereybere and my first thought was if worst came to worst then move to the roof - but this is not the case! We need to evacuate!
Thanks again
Daisymay :)

Always try to look at things on your own ..do not rely on tv or radio news so much. Here is a link http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/ … es_all.php

Regards

i think coastguard/police/radio/tv and a good dose of informations concerning tsunami alert is the best source of information internet will be secondary as people will already quit house or coastal areas by this harsh/panic moment.no one can predict tsunamis.if one day scientific could predicted that we wouldn't have a 2004.so people always on your alert and follow good advises.

Everything is well predictable...always!Monitor earthquakes and volcanic activities and you will have a good chance to predict tsunamis.
Also did you that Roger Musson, seismologist at the British geological survey who has studied Sumatra's fault lines, says the temblor was a strike-slip quake, not a thrust quake. In a strike slip quake, the earth moves horizontally rather than vertically and doesn't displace large volumes of water.
Thx and regards

I want to share 3 funny myths about Mauritius that I heard from my tour guide when I came to Mauritius in 2008 as a tourist.

1. Mauritius Island is structured naturally in such a way that there can never be a Tsunami.
2. Island is sinking every year bit by bit.
3. There are no wild animals in the Jungles of Mauritius.

Cheers

Terence

That is all very true :)

Have a good day

Veruska, I'm not sure earthquakes are predictable, in California we've been waiting for "The Big One" for a number of years now...Of course I'm no scientist, but none of them has been able to give us an approximate. All they've been able to advise is earthquake preparedness! Does the website you mentionned show the activity of the San Andreas fault in California?

Thanks.

D

My reply is in another topic called Earthquakes watch...

Regards

Hello all, according to the website i read this morning scientific said that they can't really predict tsunami http://www.cdera.org/doccentre/fs_tsunami.php well im not scientific do respect some members opinion.I personally prefer to aware members of Expat.com specially those living to coastal areas how to protect yourself/familly and evacuation procedure in case of tsunami.In mauritius nobody really care to give informations about evacuation procedures.I think it's high time to have some alert siren in case of tsunami around the coastal areas.
By the way when will it be the next tsunami??I want Date and Time.
Cheers to all.