Menu
Expat.com

A calm (cheap) place for a mind at work

Last activity 15 April 2012 by AdamtheJuice

AdamtheJuice

Hi everyone!

My name is Adam and I'm a 27 y/o male from Toronto. I'm moving to Thailand to work on a project/philosophical mission in the Fall and I'm currently selling everything I own to make that happen (house/car/etc). I recently came to the realization that I want nothing more than to work on my project without distraction for 8 months to a year.

Thailand seems like the perfect place to make that happen; however, most forums seem geared towards those moving to Thailand to teach. My needs may be slightly different. My priorities are:

1. Low cost of living - I need to stretch my funds as I will not be working.

2. Serenity - I don't want to be in a downtown core, but I don't want to be so far that I can't make expat friends. I'll also need the space to lay out books and general research (I hear many apartments in the city are shoe-boxes).

3. Technology - I need to have decent internet speed, as much of my work depends on access to my blog, info, etc.

That said, I ask you all - where in Thailand should I move?

Thank you kindly for your help!

- Adam

Armand

Hi Adam!

Welcome to Expat.com!

Good luck in your project.
Armand

AdamtheJuice

Thanks Armand, I appreciate that smile.png

teetatea v

You may want to stay in Chiangmai, it's not a busy city neither annoyingly hot. There are house rentals all over the place and "peace of mind" shouldn't be a problem, for sure you can concentrate on whatever you will be doing. And if you want to be accessible to beaches to unwind then you may check Hua-hin instead of Chiangmai.

Guess internet connection performance depends on the provider not necessarily the location, I'm not sure though however this is worth the check as well.

Good luck. smile.png

AdamtheJuice

I'll definitely look into those cities! Thank you smile.png

Articles to help you in your expat project in Thailand

All of Thailand's guide articles