Menu
Expat.com

Have you ever been lonely as an expat?

Last activity 24 June 2012 by ibrahim_ahmad

hutkgjf

Life as an expat can be very exciting and adventurous ! but the flip side is that at some point you can be sad and lonely here's my confession:
Sometimes i feel lonely, but the country where i am now there are not many beautiful women and  besides that...   people  do not socialize if you are not from a particular ethnic group so my choice is to get together with other expats as well.  expats hang out with other expats in a foreign country.

edvilyn

Yea,agree.. Most expats felt the same,..specially the first two months stay..

HaileyinHongKong

Canadians only socialize with their own racial groups?  I find that hard to believe.

ani devi

Yes, I did, fortunately I love to cook then I invite a foreigner's friend to taste my cook, then we enjoy it happily, afterward I have friend.

BluenoseGirl

I think unless you like your own company you will find the adjustment time a hard one.  It takes time to build friendships and a network of support in a new place.  I think it's something most nonexpats take for granted. 

It takes about 2 years to get some solid friendships in place.  Some people come and go, and some become true life long friends. 

Be proud that you have taken on the adventure, know that the loneliness will go away but it takes time and means putting yourself out there.

Give meet up dot com a try, there are groups for everything, so you can find people with similar interests. 

I lived in Vancouver, and I found it a hard place to make friends, and I am Canadian!  It isn't the friendliest of places so it will take that little extra bit of work to get out there and make friends.  After a year and a half in Vancouver I had one friend who was from there!  The rest were those who had also relocated!

All the best.

jazzy851

I'm almost certain this has hit us all at one point while being an expat. It all depends what you do, to overcome it. wink.png

biscuta

I felt the same first time I traveled to South Korea and I wasn't speaking Korean, and the majority of Koreans don't speak English. I got together with couchsurfers who were expats just like me and I made a lot of friends.

Wendy's Father

i am living alone in jizan. my flat is near the college of health sciences and all my neighbors are saudi students. when there are no classes i don't have neighbors. so basically i am like a ghost in a ghost village. every time i go out to go to the nearby store (which is far) i passed by a tree full of crows. the always make noises and once tried to attack me which is not normal for crows i believe. maybe that's lonely huh.

ibrahim_ahmad

always the first period is like hell, but eventually it will works

ibrahim_ahmad

try to allocate

Articles to help you in your expat project

All guide articles