Menu
Expat.com

Life during Ramadan

Last activity 14 August 2012 by Primadonna

Primadonna

What are your experiences during Ramadan?

For me I like it, particular in the summer.
After the Iftar meal the streets become to alive, it seems more crowded then at daytime.
A few days ago I visit a sister in law and we stayed until we shared the Suhoor-meal.
When we drove back I saw that the bakeries still open, the cafe's and other shops.
It gives me a wunderful feeling.

What I don't like about it is when it's almost time for the iftar-meal the people are in a rush and nerves.
Why they don't go earlier so you can be on time at their destination?
And I don't like when a family-member only invite the men!
Last but not least: the prizes for the food are higher then before or after (like Chistmastime in the west)

JO/EU

From what i have heard there is a rise in prices. The weather is too hot to go anywhere but i have been travelling before and want to travel after in autumn.

Primadonna

I'll guess youre both are right. Its more easier for them who  have not go to work or to study.
I can stay at home and do practically nothing and that saves a hope of energy!

Maybe I am to late to answer your question SherriO but maybe you can go in the early morning and stay much as  possible in the shadows. Wear a hat so you don't get it hot and take it easy on the way. And of course it depends where you want to go to visit some sites. And is it a problem that your visiters goes by themselfs?

Ismailk

I agree with you Primadonna, yes people get too way nervous and I believe this should not be the way when it comes to religious reasons behind fasting!

Ismailk

Yes Dove, weirdos indeed. In fact, I think Ramdan has lost its religious impact on lots of people long time ago coz to the majority, it became like Dubai Shopping Festival or something in Jordan..It is like cafes months where people spend their time outside shopping and hanging out with no sense of Islamic rituals..This doesnot mean that iam a very religious person, but i simply wonder why people fast if they don't practice other needed rituals!

Ismailk

Loool Dove, this is funny but sadly valid. forget about the high heels not a big deal I think, but the skinny extremely built-on kind of jeans is something soooo oddddd..People consider me open-minded but honestly i guess I need to have my brain exploded to make it as open as possible to accept such contradicting things. But I came up eventually with a conclusion, that maybe they wear a scarf to save the needed time to comb their hair or so- I don't know at all. You are living in Irbid,so I think the situation there is more conservative, I'm not sure about Irbid, though I'm just assuming.

Primadonna

Tss.. this is the fashion these days... tongue.png

But of course, you're wright.
And what about tons of food that be wasted because they cook to much?

Ismailk

(moderated: very offensive post)

Primadonna

Indeed.

But yesterday we make a good gesture: my husband read in the newspaper about two old sisters that they are poor and live in the Baqaa-valley.
Because we were in the neigherhood of the Baqaa we drove to there and give these sisters money.
So Ismailk, there are also good people like us... big_smile.png

Ismailk

Yes there are my dear, but things around are becoming too much depressing and shrinking in a way. Ok I'm not being pessimistic here, but a bit realistic. I mean look at us, talking here over some kind of forum, why have we and people like us we started using the Internet in such a way..maybe because we somewhat started to feel not belonging?!
I wonder.
By the way, I have read that you have 3 children, how old are they, if I may ask? May God bless them for you..

Charlesmooredmh

Indeed Ramadan is one of the greatest festivals and i certainly couldn't agree more on the point of feeding the poor and keeping the spirit of the festival alive.

Primadonna

Because the Internet give us the opportunity to have contact with the opposite sexe without any questioning from whome so ever. An to talk and to discuss about everything you want.
Just in the Arab countries is this very difficult.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Jordan

All of Jordan's guide articles