Hi I am a new comer

Hi everybody:D

It seems in a short time (September) I am going to start working in Libya (Tripoli) I am really eager to check the situation there and start moving on. Furthermore, it seems that loneliness amongst expat people is a major issue. Is there any possibility to establish normal relationships with lybian people, despite the fact I am not talking a word of arabic (but I am keen of learning in my spare time there)?
Which are the most common cultural pitfalls-must-to be-avoided in everyday's life there?

Thank you very much for the feedback:)
And maybe we can meet there.....

Hello davantlag.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

So as to make it more visible, your post has been moved to the Tripoli forum.

Hope you'll soon get some feedbacks from other members.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi davantlag,

Just moved here a couple of days ago myself!
Can't help too much with your questions, yet :-), but I am also interested in learning Arabic in my spare time so we might be able to find a teacher easier if we look together.
Let me know when you arrive and we can meet up.

Marit

well , i think i can help since i'm Libyan ... feel free to ask anything you like and would be nice to meet you when you arrive to Tripoli

Hi there!!

I lived here for 18 months before and during the first part of the revolution, and have just moved back to help rebuild the country through teaching.  Libya is an amazing place with amazing people, and very friendly towards foreigners - as long as you come with the right attitude - which is to learn from Libyan people!  :-)  My best suggestion to you, apart from attending a Libyan arabic course, is to make friends with Libyans wherever you can - in your workplace, in the street in shops, etc.  The best way to learn the language is to practise speaking it in the street as soon as possible.  The classroom can only help you so far - the rest is up to you.  :-)  Having learnt a number of languages apart from Libyan, and lived in a few places before coming here, my experience has taught me that this is the best way: "divorce" yourself from your own culture as much as possible, and soak yourself in the language and culture of the local people.  That is the quickest way, not only to learn the language, but also to learn more about the culture and the people - and even how to not only survive here, but also to THRIVE!!  :-)  Every blessing to you both, as you integrate into libyan society...  :-)

Thank you for your advices! I will stay wide awake and eager to learn in order to work and spend a better time there on a daily basis.

hey there ,

lived here for all of my life .
feel free to add . meet for a coffee. or message

cheers
adnan

I can only echo what JenniRed said.

Arabic isn't that difficult once you get your head round the structure of the language. And as Jenni said, immerse yourself from day 1 and you'll soon pick it up.

Before revolution , a Libyan lady was coming twice a week to our office  and were teaching us, we were quite happy and she is again available.

But i can not post  her phone number to public . anyone interests please request from me via mail.thx. for understanding

regards
take care.
winafrica.

Hi folks!

I am flying to Tripoli tomorrow (18th) to start a new job teaching in a primary school. I don't know what my schedule looks like yet what with moving into my accommodation and preparing for the start of term but I am definitely up for a meet up! I guess I'll get a Libyan sim card as soon as I can, so when I have a number I'll let you know and whoever feels like it the first teas are on me!

Charlie.

Hello davantlag.

I hope that you adapt the life style here in libya, and I encourage you to learn arabic that might help you a lot to integrate the libyan society,
  I use to teach arabic & french expates in Tunisia, & I will be glad to help you learning arabic

feel free to call me & arrange a meeting anywhere in Tripoli

hi so are u here already?
how did u find it here?Still some more question needs to be answered?

Hi Jenni Red are you still in Tripoli or you moved ??