Suggestions about neighbourhoods in Madrid

Hola everyone. I'll be moving to Madrid next month to begin an MBA program at UC3M. The campus is in Getafe, but I've been advised to stay in Madrid.

Could anyone advise a cheaper neighbourhood that's somewhat central, close to metro links, and which has a student-y, youthful vibe. A more traditional (as opposed to commercial/fancy) area is a plus.

Gracias!

Hello funkdakarma.

Welcome to Epat Blog! :)

Hope you'll get some responses from other members.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Thanks Aurelie, hope so as well!

Hi Funkdakarma,

It kind of depends on what your willing to pay for a place.  Would you be willing to share?  If so, it's a lot easier.  From what you're saying, neighborhoods like La Latina, Tribunal, Malasaña, might be what you are looking for.  Just to name a few.

Good luck!

Brian

BRMurdock wrote:

Hi Funkdakarma,

It kind of depends on what your willing to pay for a place.  Would you be willing to share?  If so, it's a lot easier.  From what you're saying, neighborhoods like La Latina, Tribunal, Malasaña, might be what you are looking for.  Just to name a few.

Good luck!

Brian

Hi Brian,

Many thanks for your reply! I've done some research on the Internet and for my budget (max 500 Euros a month) it seems better to share as a starting option.

Thank you for the suggestions, I also recently stumbled upon this guide to Madrid neighbourhoods which could prove helpful to others on this forum:

Description of Neighbourhoods in Madrid - friendlyrentals.com/en/apartments/madrid/zones-33.htm

As you mentioned Malasana and La Latina do sound very good, as well as Arguelles, Moncloa and Retiro.

Thanks once again!

Hey,

Glad you are making progress.  Max 500 euros to share an apt should be able to get you something more than decent.  Argüelles and Moncloa are good areas too.  I actually live in Retiro area and love it.  There are young people who live here and it's a great neighborhood, but it doesn't have the university student feel that you might be looking for.  Still I recommend it too as another option.  In terms of getting to college in Getafe, other ideas might be Pacifico or Embajadores.  Both are near the Atocha train station.

Good luck

Thanks for the recommendations Brian. Retiro sounds very nice, mainly due to the proximity to the gardens. I'm coming from the desert so appreciate any green I see!

Will keep your suggestions in mind, good to know that my budget is appropriate!