Your experiences in Madrid

Hello. IŽm researching about the cultural differences of Spain and I would like you to tell me your experiences, particularly in professionally matters.

Was difficult to adapt you to the Spanish's business protocol?
What did surprise you?
Do you miss anything?

Thank you in advance for helping me.

I worked as a self employed in Madrid for one year. What surprised me? Administrations close at 2 pm. Shops are closed from 2pm-5pm then they open until 8pm.

I appreciated working there, very good ambiance!

I like to work hard and archive something because I think it is good idea. I am 27 years old from Ghana living in Spain Andalusia. I made diffrencs kinds of couses in Spanish languege so that I would have more professional in my life, is it good idea? I still need advice so any one who wants to advice me can contact me in ayawuza@gmail.com

Hello newabrefa and welcome to Expat.com!

Don't you think that you are a bit off-topic?:whistle:

Harmonie.

The first training I did, I proposed the 'usual' daily agenda, which means more or less:
. start at 9 (usually 30 mn late)
. do a pause at 11 (usually 10 to 15 mn)
. lunch between 12 and 13: I knew this would be early for Spain, so I said we stopped between 13 and 14 and go to lunch all together
. start after lunch and make a pause in the afternoon
. finish at 17:00.

At 11:00, when I proposed a pause, everybody looked at me like 'finally...' or 'I thought he would never let us go'.

I did not know that spanish people do not take a breakfast at home but have a 15 to 45 mn breakfast in the morning. I must say that the 9:00 starting hour was respected every day.

Which reminds me off this: spain is listed as one of the country in europe where labor day is longer but also among the less productive country. I worked with people who looked at me as not working hard because I went at home at 19:00 while they were taking 30 mn for breakfast, 2 hours to go back at home for lunch and one dozen breaks during the day to go outside and smoke a cigarette.
One friend who was used to work until 20:00 told me once that in fact he was just surfing the web at that time, and when I asked if he would not prefer to go back home, he said me 'no, because I would have to help my wife on domestic tasks'.

There is a lot to say about the difference of culture