How is life in India for single, independant females ?

Hi,
I am looking for a new country to work in. India seems interesting for my carrer.

Most expats I find are always moving with partner. I am moving by myself. Which is a slighly different scenario and stories about families or partners experiencing the indian life do not match up. Even though they are interesing too ;-)

Being a selfconfident female, I know that there is a different perception in single female and single male.
In some countries, single females are not appreciated in bars/restaurants in the evening. It is not likely that they go out alone (like un accompanied).

How is life in the city for single, independat females ?
How is work life ?

I would be happy if you could share your experiences.

i think,bangalore is the best to live as a single .if you need any help in bangalore.

Guys, can't you reply to the questions instead giving your email addresses? That would be really more helpful ;)

Bangalore is a nice place to live in quite secure n safe..i know few of my friend's who live alone n i have never seen them. getting into any kinda trouble or facing any probs. its 1 of the finest cities to be in for single females.

I dont know about others work life but i think its fine you work for weekdays n have a good time on weekends.

You can hit in any pub u want to go.but my advice stick to nice rated pubs n bars.:)

indian cities are expat friendly to the limit of the area u commute in, delhi is very popular among th expats and certain area of delhi are a very safe for women in general and certain areas are a no no after a certain time without someone accompanying u,
mumbai or bombay is very safe for women anytime even late at nite, but like every city in thsi world there are a few exceptions , i know many single women who r based in delhi and are liking it, they have adapted themselves to the vibes of the city, and i this is would be a prefect formula for survival in any city in the world

Thank you for your feedbacks. I really appreciate it, as I do not like to end in a city, where adopting to the vibes of the city results in simply "stay in company always".  Hmmm, will see what the job-offers might bring. :-)

hi,
India i vast country. It all depend which industry you belong to, in total 560+ cities you can have metro limited to 6 numbers and tier one citie you have about 150. In these cities you can have good oppurtunities. but to be in safe about job security and life be in big cities. Bangalore, delhi-NCR, Kolkatta, Chennai, Hyderabad, Mumbai, PUne, Cochin, will bne best options.

Thanks, it would be the main port city anyways, as I work in  shipping industrie.
sounds that India could be an alternative to Latin America. How ignorant do I sound - as if one could compare these countries at all ;-)

Mumbai is by far the safest and the most Cosmopolitan cities in India. Night life is entertaining too, and i see a lot of expat single women clubbing and going in pubs et al. People are warm and although traffic and infrastructure both suck.. i would still rate bombay as one of the best places to work in. Since you are from the shipping industry, try your luck in bombay..

I would say as far as your are concious and not get too advetureous, all places in India are pretty safe in Day light. Night life is good in few cities. Just dont be too glamourous till you find a company of friends. Be informed and keep some one very known informed of your movement.

Work is good here in India - depending on the Industry you should be ready for some adhoc work requests - it some times doesnt go as per plan in India.

But work hard and party hard has found quite an acceptance in new India.

Good luck....

A straight reply to your question would be that it is hard for any women working in India. You have to be alert for all kinds of situations especially women since this is country where men are more visible.
If you have a group of good friends and contacts then move in, if not study about the place you wish to settle, develop safe friends and then come here.
Work wise good opportunities if you already have a job.
Pubs and bars are nice in the upscale ones. Try to have a friend if you wish to go there otherwise be prepared as usual for all kinds of propositions needless to say.
Cheers
Rakshit

life is interesting and fulfilling.
you should not have problems if you take precautions.
- vishal @ - vishalmeenu1998@gmail.com

Bettina wrote:

Hi,
I am looking for a new country to work in. India seems interesting for my carrer.

Most expats I find are always moving with partner. I am moving by myself. Which is a slighly different scenario and stories about families or partners experiencing the indian life do not match up. Even though they are interesing too ;-)

Being a selfconfident female, I know that there is a different perception in single female and single male.
In some countries, single females are not appreciated in bars/restaurants in the evening. It is not likely that they go out alone (like un accompanied).

How is life in the city for single, independat females ?
How is work life ?

I would be happy if you could share your experiences.

Hi,
Mumbai is probably the safest city in India.Esp. when you want to return late to your place of residence.You can generally trust the cab & Auto (3 wheelers)drivers.The maximum that they would wish is 50% more by the meter.
I know of expats single women who are managing themselves excellently for many years.
Regards
Arthand