Menu
Expat.com

Life of a woman in riyadh

Last activity 26 December 2012 by Freshlikesushi

Alliecat

Interesting thread since the discussion is  similar to a battle I was involved in last month on the now defunct 'Dating in Saudi Arabia'!

So guess I'll add my two halalas.  Having just read through this thread completely for the first time, I find myself sympathizing with Btw.  It seems to me that she simply explained things from a strict Muslim point of view.  She never said it was right or the woman HAS to conform with the information she's relating.

Pretty funny, actually, that high heels could cause such an ruckus!! 

But, Btw, once you're here you'll see that the way it's *supposed* to be isn't always the way it is. I've often seen Saudi women wearing heels, especially working women (in direct contrast to the *other* working women who are wearing converse sneakers!).  If you need a decent pair of work shoes, they're very difficult to find in Riyadh because all the hundreds of high-end shops in the malls mostly carry heels!!  They're very fashionable and quite beautiful but you're taking your life in your hands to wear them lol

EastLondon

[off topic]

Btwn-Fear-N-Hope
Alliecat wrote:

Interesting thread since the discussion is  similar to a battle I was involved in last month on the now defunct 'Dating in Saudi Arabia'!

So guess I'll add my two halalas.  Having just read through this thread completely for the first time, I find myself sympathizing with Btw.  It seems to me that she simply explained things from a strict Muslim point of view.  She never said it was right or the woman HAS to conform with the information she's relating.

Pretty funny, actually, that high heels could cause such an ruckus!! 

But, Btw, once you're here you'll see that the way it's *supposed* to be isn't always the way it is. I've often seen Saudi women wearing heels, especially working women (in direct contrast to the *other* ones who are wearing converse sneakers!).  If you need a decent pair of work shoes, they're very difficult to find in Riyadh because all the hundreds of high-end shops in the malls mostly carry heels!!  They're very fashionable and quite beautiful but you're taking your life in your hands to wear them lol

Thank you for understanding my point allie, I kept on and on reiterating that my answer was based on Islamic evidence and not on any culture, of course people are free to ignore the facts and practice what they wish. Heels like smoking is popular all over the world and undoubtedly Saudi isn't that much different in most areas.

Btwn-Fear-N-Hope
EastLondon wrote:

off topic

JazakAllah khayr ill defo check this out- might become my second expat home lol

EastLondon

wa iyaak sis... hope it helps

Shaheer

Btwn-Fear-N-Hope

P.s. allie I usually avoid religious debate hence I refrained from that last one and even attempted to change the topic towards the end.

Even in this thread I did not say it is haram/forbidden I simply said it was discouraged and I presented the reasons why they are discouraged feeling that they made logical sense.

Logical sense when viewed from Islamic perspective and text.

EastLondon

[off topic]

Alliecat
Btwn-Fear-N-Hope wrote:

P.s. allie I usually avoid religious debate hence I refrained from that last one and even attempted to change the topic towards the end.

Even in this thread I did not say it is haram/forbidden I simply said it was discouraged and I presented the reasons why they are discouraged feeling that they made logical sense.

Oh I totally understood but I guess I was able to read it dispassionately since I wasn't involved.

You were relaying information in a very matter-of-fact way to a Muslim convert who had questions.  You were in no way *pushing* these beliefs, you were just relaying information.

Btwn-Fear-N-Hope
Alliecat wrote:
Btwn-Fear-N-Hope wrote:

Oh I totally understood but I guess I was able to read it dispassionately since I wasn't involved.

You were relaying information in a very matter-of-fact way to a Muslim convert who had questions.  You were in no way *pushing* these beliefs, you were just relaying information.

Alhamdulillah it's good to know I wasn't out of line and what I wrote came across as intended.

Btwn-Fear-N-Hope
EastLondon wrote:

This is not an islamic forum and refute /refrain ppl from talking about islam and the negativity of saudis on here

True Akhee this isn't an Islamic forum however when someone asks something relating to Islam I believe it's upto Muslims to convey the answer.

EastLondon

There is the Islam Q A that anyone can refer to...

http://islamqa.info/en

EastLondon

Thanks Julien wink.png

men can give their opinion, but since no place in discussions the subject that are in this topic! After all I want to know the experiences of women with their husbands Saudis. There are many prohibitions for women in KSA.

Freshlikesushi
m.b.m88 wrote:

There are many prohibitions for muslim women in KSA.

fixed that for you

In all realisticness, the only prohibition that western women have that are not muslim is that they cannot drive.

I dont count an abaya as a prohibition, due to the lack of clothing needed under in the heat. Ive known women that roll around in bikinis under the abaya hah

EastLondon

silly !

tonguetwister

High heels make a woman's butt stick out? The things I learn here on expat-blog...

EastLondon

I really needed to know that lool weird ppl...

desertlifestyle

i just wanan sumup disscusion,,, for lady ...  the life of sauid women is the most modren , fashionable ,, glamorious and Luxurious.. than any westren lady ,,,,, the dress and heel they use in normal outsid ethe home ....even westren women cant imagian,,,  and if u wanan socilized  ucan do what ever u want here in saudia,,,,, but just inside the walled compounds or homes. for out side and for male friends they hove to cover body properlly ,, but in side the home they can do what ever they like ,,, depend on the nature of husband ,, i saw many open minded ladies and famlies who even drink togather, and majority of saudi ladies smok,,,

Alliecat

I know MANY Saudi ladies and none of them smoke. 

I also know that Saudi couples don't have a problem with a female  (especially Western) visiting but if the visitor is a Saudi woman, the men leave. 

Also, if I and a couple Saudi women are visiting another Saudi women, the visitors wear their niqabs and hijabs until the woman's husband leaves.

Oh, and desertlifestyle?  I think you underestimate what we have available in the West.  As for things here being more 'glarorious and luxurious' than any Western woman can imagine?  That's what we call 'hogwash' wink.png

Freshlikesushi

i wish i could call people idiots

EastLondon

desertlifestyle:
the life of sauid women is the most modren , fashionable ,, glamorious and Luxurious.. than any westren lady

The difference is Western women who are not superfluous. Because there is so much to do ends up being a Saudi woman westernmost because there are fashion magazines and beauty, which mentions that Saudi women spend much because the only business they have is to stay home or go to the mall.

Westerners know so luxury and comfort, but us live without "wanting to display". That's what God taught us is not?

Freshlikesushi Who is idiots

If you are referring people of the forum, please get outta here. Here is not place for people troublemakers.
if not add anything of value, be silent.
Thank you for your understanding and education.

Freshlikesushi

some people here 100% deserve it lol

but at times so do i

anaexpat

1. they can hang out with friends, as also Westerners does?

they need special permission from local authorities to do so. In some cases, the suprime court gets involved to issue that paper work
2. they can make dinners at home and share the same the home environment?
yes they can, as long as they invite everyone reading this post

3. they(couple) sleep together in the same bed?
NO! Most mattresses in KSA are twin beds for a reason

4. women can walk freely inside the house when the husband receives a visit from his friends?

Exit-Entry visa is required to cross the kitchen borders, or migrate from bedroom to living room

5. It allowed colored clothes?

either black or white. saudis are straight forward, no grey areas

6. It allowed shoes high heels?
and wheels

SERIOUSLY !!!

Freshlikesushi

love this guy

Alliecat
anaexpat wrote:

they need special permission from local authorities to do so. In some cases, the suprime court gets involved to issue that paper work
yes they can, as long as they invite everyone reading this post

NO! Most mattresses in KSA are twin beds for a reason

4. women can walk freely inside the house when the husband receives a visit from his friends?

Exit-Entry visa is required to cross the kitchen borders, or migrate from bedroom to living room

either black or white. saudis are straight forward, no grey areas

and wheels

SERIOUSLY !!!

24.gif

norahn

Woow. We have to meet girl, ididnt read all the convo. But it has already some wrong idea about saudi.   Islam is easy dont complicate it by overthinking about small things,. Also our black abaya is a traditiinal and custom more than islamic appearance.

anaexpat

Very well said Nora. And it's time to break with those traditions and embrace the true simple beautiful Islam

T

EastLondon

Norah to tell you I study Islam and I'm no girl, I'm a woman and I have no vision no distorted. I hope it is clear to you. It is clear that Islam is easy to understand, after all was the first monotheistic religion on Earth.

Woow. We have to meet girl, ididnt read all the convo. But it has already some wrong idea about saudi.   Islam is easy dont complicate it by overthinking about small things,. Also our black abaya is a traditiinal and custom more than islamic appearance.

So for these comments cease. At no time was questioned "The Islam" but life in riyadh and the Saudi laws.

Or do you think that not there is Islam in the West?!?

That mania that people have to distort the questions. And insist about on speaking the Islam.
I don't want to talk about religion. Would many issues in which each person understands in a way the Qu'ran. So much so that life in Saudi Arabia fully away from the way of life of Egypt, and the two follow the same religion. So What I discussed is only about CULTURE and NOT ABOUT religion.
I BELIEVE THAT YOU SHOULD KNOW THE DIFFERENCE OF CULTURE TO RELIGION.. When I questioned these questions I didn't think it would be seen that way.
The answers have taken another direction, another path.
Were only questioning Islam.
(The question is about life, the everyday lifestyle of women living in riyadh and not ABOUT ISLAM)

I hope that is clear. And before you comment the good would be to read all the comments.

As-Salam Aleikum

EastLondon

CULTURE is: "whole complex which includes knowledge, belief, art, morals, law, custom, and any other capabilities and habits acquired by man as a member of society," Edward b. Tylor.

RELIGION derives from the Latin term "Re-Ligare", which means "Rebind" with the divine. This definition encompasses necessarily any form of mystical and religious aspect, including sects, mythologies and any other doctrines or forms of thought that have as their fundamental characteristic Metaphysical content, i.e. beyond the physical world.

norahn

Ok.  your right i should read all comments before.  and i know the difference between islam and tradition and culture. But believe me answer your Q is very hard her we can talk on skyp if you want.  because saudi woman life style is even different between them. Ex: i work with men my family are ok with it.  but some other women their family doesnt allow them to work in mix environment. Becase of their culture and some of them think that islamic rules dont allow that which is also wrong.

Im a saudi girl living in riyadh 
If u have any Q ur more than welcom.  u can contact me anytime

Btwn-Fear-N-Hope

This is the thing women working with men in Saudi is women and men working in the same building but different floors/ areas, women working with men in western world means women and men freely mixing in the same room. Where in Saudi and in what jobs do men and women work in the same room with no barrier? I tried to enter mobiliy the other day and was told I can only be served while I stood outside the shop because it was a small branch that had no women only section.

Alliecat

Staff freely mingle in hospitals, even in the cafeteria.

houstonian

I work for the Saudi credit bureau and men and women work on the same floor and there are no barriers.  We are free to interact with each other while at work.

pollyramos

Thank you for the feedback.  I very much appreciate it.  I should be in Riyadh late November and teaching at Princess Noura University.  Is there anyone on this site who is either teaching in Riyadh or at PNU.  I would very much appreciate making friends with individuals while I am there.

Alliecat
pollyramos wrote:

Thank you for the feedback.  I very much appreciate it.  I should be in Riyadh late November and teaching at Princess Noura University.  Is there anyone on this site who is either teaching in Riyadh or at PNU.  I would very much appreciate making friends with individuals while I am there.

@polly your post will get lost on *this* thread since it's not pertaining to PNU.  However, there are several threads on teaching in KSA (PNU in particular) so I suggest you post there to get maximum exposure smile.png

Btwn-Fear-N-Hope

It's interesting knowing that some places do allow free mixing. Hospitals I just discovered today are very liberal- I was called conservative for asking to see a female doctor.

Alliecat
Btwn-Fear-N-Hope wrote:

It's interesting knowing that some places do allow free mixing. Hospitals I just discovered today are very liberal- I was called conservative for asking to see a female doctor.

Well wait.  The thing about doctors here is that they never touch you, or even look at you, usually lol  They ask you what is wrong and they start ordering tests and writing prescriptions. 

Isn't that what happened?

If you have to return, it's another round of tests and yet more prescriptions!

Some hospitals are a bit stricter.  Staff mixes but all the women have to cover their heads (I'm thinking of SMC).

Mortworth

If by "Couple" you meant MARRIED couple...

then I'd say WTF?

m.b.m88 wrote:

Salaam,
I would like to know the life of a Muslim Saudi woman or Muslim converted woman (foreign).

How is the life of a Muslim wife, middle class or upper middle class?
How is the life of a couple?

Salaam Aleikum

Btwn-Fear-N-Hope
Alliecat wrote:
Btwn-Fear-N-Hope wrote:

Well wait.  The thing about doctors here is that they never touch you, or even look at you, usually lol  They ask you what is wrong and they start ordering tests and writing prescriptions. 

Isn't that what happened?

If you have to return, it's another round of tests and yet more prescriptions!

Some hospitals are a bit stricter.  Staff mixes but all the women have to cover their heads (I'm thinking of SMC).

Well I asked for a female doctor and she examined me properly, I was vomiting and feeling very nauseous- she examined my abdomen so deeply I'm sure she even felt my ovarian tubes lol.

Buy yeah she prescribed a bunch of medicines which I never ended up using- the intravenous injection to stop the nausea was sufficient.

magicfun2012

As a reminder, about muslim women...
they went to wars during the prophet days...to back up the men and help them when needed...

Something that really buggs me about MOST of the muslim women that are mohajabat specially...when they are in KSA they are all covered up when they travel all that changes which shocked me (even my kids where like mama what was that) ....
in general most of the muslim women are mohajabat for the sake of the triditions or because the parents wants them too...

i can say that this is really the worse image ever that can be givin to muslim women in prophet days they are queens more than maids or just to look at...

smile.png

EastLondon

the 6th point about high heels is interesting.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Riyadh

• Study in Riyadh
    Study in Riyadh

Saudi Arabia may not be one of the most well-known educational destinations. In fact, a lot of Saudi nationals do ...

• Working in Riyadh
    Working in Riyadh

As the capital city of Saudi Arabia, Riyadh is one of the biggest urban communities in the country and is home to ...

• Buying property in Riyadh
    Buying property in Riyadh

Even though Saudi Arabia has experienced significant changes in the past years, the local real estate market ...

• Compounds in Riyadh
    Compounds in Riyadh

Here is a listing of many (not all) of the compounds in Riyadh along with contact information.

• Things to do in Riyadh alone or with your crowd
    Things to do in Riyadh alone or with your crowd

Riyadh is one of the biggest and most beautiful cities in Saudi Arabia, with quite a bit to offer to expats in ...

• Getting a driver's license in Riyadh
    Getting a driver's license in Riyadh

As mentioned earlier, the purpose of writing the article is to inform expats who arrive in Saudi Arabia, ...

• Developing your social circle in Riyadh
    Developing your social circle in Riyadh

Moving to a new city is never easy, especially if you have chosen to leave your friends and family. Then comes the ...

• Discover Riyadh
    Discover Riyadh

Riyadh is considered the most beautiful city in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for many reasons, including the ...

All of Riyadh's guide articles