Menu
Expat.com

Moving to Shenzhen on January 18, 2013

Last activity 11 February 2014 by Maximilien

Blurryone

Hi!  My name is Blair and I'm moving to Shenzhen on January 18th, 2013 for a minimum of 2 years.  My company is paying me to go learn about the Chinese culture and to take Mandarin immersion, I had to jump at the opportunity!

I am originally from Canada although I have spent the last 2 years enjoying the climate of Arizona.  I also lived in South Korea for 2 years and am fluent(ish) in Korean (it's been a while since I have gotten the practice, hopefully I'll get caught back up while renewing my Visa).

I am 40 years old, an entrepreneur in a new start up company, and am looking to do a little networking, but am more interested in meeting some good friends to explore China with, and to enjoy my stay with.

I have found a school to go to and have been accepted, my next challenge is to find a decent hotel in the Futian district while I look for an apartment nearby my school.  They have 2 campuses, so I need to decide which school I am going to attend before finding an apartment.  If anyone has any suggestions for hotels, I would very much appreciate it.

I am very much looking forward to getting to know you all, and am looking forward to my latest adventure!

Armand

Hi Blair !

Welcome to Expat.com and thanks for this introduction.

Regards
Armand

JerryHuang

welcome!tongue.png

Goldingtonhill

HI Blair,

The Futian district is pretty large, but the central area has the Sheraton, the Shangri-la and the Four Seasons. All of these are within walking distance of the nightlife area, Coco Park. On the less expensive end is the Asta Hotel which is a Chinese hotel and pretty basic but the rooms are fine. This is closer to the residential Chinese area, with lots of Chinese restaurants. No one speaks English is this area.

Hope this helps!

Blurryone

Thanks Goldington, that actually helps out a great deal, i really appreciate it!

mancha50

Hi Blair

Welcome

I live in Futian right now in Lianhuabei. I am a volunteer management advisor working with an NGO here. Good luck in finding accommodation. Futian is pretty central to everything and there is a lot going on here. The area around Xiangmihu looks pretty nice.

ricardoandrade

Hi Mancha, I just arrived in Shenzhen and will be here for 4 months studying Mandarin full-time (mornings and some afternoons). I'm looking for part-time volunteer work. How can I know more about the organization you work with? Thanks

ricardoandrade

Hi Blair, I'm Ricardo - just arrived in Shenzhen to study mandarin full-time for 4 months. Open to travel/exploring the region on weekends, and spending time with easygoing people. Are you still in town? Cheers

pgisbey

Dear Blair,

Hi. My name is 'PJ' (Peter Jacob). I hope that you have enjoyed settling into the Futian District of Shenzhen since January this year, as per your introductory posting. I have been living and working in China for almost two years now. I am currently based in Suzhou as an Economics teacher, but I am about to take up a managerial teaching post (focusing on pastoral care and Economics lecturing) in Shenzhen, hence my particular interest in getting in touch with you. So what's the lowdown? Any things for me to avoid when I eventually arrive in Shenzhen? And how about some things to look forward to as well concerning Shenzhen? I think that the most important thing I have learnt so far in China is to repeat yourself a lot to Chinese nationals, even if they speak reasonably good English (rare!) and constant clarify understanding - misunderstandings abound!!!!! I have had my fair share of 'scratch marks' with my wife and other Chinese nationals on this point.

OK, must dash!

Cheers,

PJ

Estyverson

Ricardo tudo bem? Moro no Brasil e estarei indo para Shenzhen nos próximos dias. Gostaria de conversar com alguém que mora nessa cidade para trocar umas idéias. Se puder me add no skype ... estyverson@hotmail.com
fico muito agradecido.

um abraço

Maximilien

Hi Estyverson - can you please post in English on the English Forum smile.png

Articles to help you in your expat project in Shenzhen

• Accommodation in Shenzhen
    Accommodation in Shenzhen

Shenzhen is one of China's youngest and fastest-growing cities. Once a small fishing village, the city has ...

• Finding work in Shenzhen
    Finding work in Shenzhen

Shenzhen is known as the “Silicon Valley of hardware” in China — it's the city where a lot ...

• Accommodation in Dalian
    Accommodation in Dalian

Dalian is the biggest city in Liaoning province. The city is home to over six million people, many of which are ...

• Accommodation in Chongqing
    Accommodation in Chongqing

Chongqing is an important city in southwest China. It is home to over 30 million people and is considered to be ...

• Accommodation in Tianjin
    Accommodation in Tianjin

Tianjin is a first-tier coastal city in northern China and a busy and crowded metropolis with over 15 million ...

• Buying property in Shanghai
    Buying property in Shanghai

Shanghai has continually appeared close to the top of the list of cities with the most expensive real estate in ...

• Finding work in Shanghai
    Finding work in Shanghai

Shanghai frequently tops the list of the most desirable destinations for expats in China — in no small part ...

• Accommodation in Xiamen
    Accommodation in Xiamen

Xiamen, located in Fujian Province in China, is one of southern China's most picturesque coastal cities and ...

All of Shenzhen's guide articles