Marriage

so,my fiance and I are getting married.Not in a church but like city hall and she is saying something that I need a translator?? do I need one and why?

Congratulations!

Don't know for sure, but I suppose when you sign the paper, they have to be sure you understand what you're signing. When I bought my flat I was told that, if my Romanian wasn't good enough, I would need a translator at the signing. Actually, the lawyer said my language skills were good enough so I didn't get one in the end, but I imagine it's the same principle - a contract (including a marriage contract) isn't valid if one of the signers doesn't understand the content/language of the agreement.

well I think I'll just pretend to know romanian ha ha,just have ny girl translate.I have this thing about not spending money when I don't have to.Since I've been here it seems like everyone wants money for everything,like scamming people? I was in China and was told chinese were the worst but that never happened to me there!?

Congrats! :)
It's required by law to have a certified translator translate everything to you. There's no shortage of Romanian to English translators anyways.

All the best!
Elie

why can't my fiance just translate for cause she reads and speaks really god english?

It has to be an authorized translator, as you will be signing a document, otherwise the marriage will not be legal.

Hi, I got married in Romania and you have to have a certified translator to make sure that you fully understand everything. Also apparently the first question that the "Presedinte" asks you, you have to sat Da or the service is over.  Congratulations by the way.

I'm not sure if the law of marriage says anything about having a certified translator when it comes to a foreign getting married in Romania therefor the presence of such a person is not mandatory as long as the foreign person understands what he/she signs(the romanian papers/docs) ...and anyway when you sign a paper, no matter if you understand the language in which it's written or not, you become legally responsible for what you've signed.

Wild wrote:

It has to be an authorized translator, as you will be signing a document, otherwise the marriage will not be legal.

I am a foreigner, I got married at City Hall. No translator present (nor requested by City Hall officials) nor did I have to declare, with a notarised statement, that I understand the language

I showed my foreign passport when I entered, and that was it.

During the ceremony the guy at City Hall (I did understand him!) at one moment utters a sentence (as in a question) looks at you with a staight face, which is the sign to say ”DA” . Then he looks to the future-wife, and she says ”DA”. And that is it. The whole procedure does not take more than 5-7 minutes.

Afterwards you have to sign the marriage-book, and the guy from City Hall points his finger on the line where you have to sign. Mind you, I do speak/understand the language, still it was not requested for me to declare this anywhere (which would normally be the case).

So the fact I did not have a translator present voids my marriage to my wife? I would not think so.

If you understand what the officer said, that means you know romanian and you know what you are signing. You may be lucky that they did not ask you something else, otherwise if they would know you don`t know the language, than they would be asking for a translator. About the EU and romanian citizens i don`t know what documents are required, but the just passport rule is not aplicable to all countries.

to top it up ... one of the witnesses (who is required to sign the marriage registration book) was a person who did not speak a word of Romanian. He just showed his foreign ID card, and the City Hall official was ok with it.