Menu
Expat.com

Property

Last activity 10 December 2012 by Johnhenry1925

deepwaters64

How easy is it to pay your property taxes from out of the country?

James

Hi deepwaters64,

A whole lot easier than NOT paying your property taxes from anywhere in the world. Even the Corporation of the City of Barrie ON has awful long arms and will "reach out and touch someone" when they want to.

All kidding aside, if you're planning on leaving Canada for any extended period of time, open an HSBC Canada account if you don't already have one with them. HSBC is the only Canadian bank that has affiliates worldwide and you can therefore use your debit card to access your Canadian funds anywhere in the world at all HSBC branches and ATMs that operate on the same network. In many countries, like here in Brazil for instance you can't do that. You can only use your debit card at certain banks and often only their main branches. Big pain in the tush, trust me. Also having an HSBC account will go a long way to helping you open an account with HSBC in most other countries, especially those where it is very bureaucratic.

Take your Canadian checkbook with you and then you can pay your property taxes or anything else in Canada by sending them a check. Another good thing that I found out is that HSBC will accept your instructions regarding your account by e-mail as well should you have some difficulties.

Note: This comes from personal experience of years. I am not connected in any way with HSBC, but have no trouble recommending them.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

deepwaters64

Hi William, thanks for your answer. My apologies for not wording things right lol. I am wondering how easy it is paying Belizian property taxes from Canada, as I have heard that it can be complicated and that its best done through a Belizian lawyer

Wealthships

You need to pay your Belize property taxes with the Land Department in the town (or closest town if the property is in a Village, for instance) to where the property is located.  Anyone can do this for you as long as they have your parcel number, but obviously it should be someone you trust.  It does not have to be an attorney.

My company, Red Roof Property Management, performs this service in Cayo.  Taxes are generally due in April, but if you pay in March, you can get a small discount.

Fun Fact:  1 acre riverside parcel with a 2 bedroom/1 bath house on it paid $8.75 bze for their 2012 taxes!!

Johnhenry1925

Barrie
You do not say where your property in Belize is but before my wife and I moved to Ambergris Caye we paid our Property Taxes on the land we have from  the UK via the postal system. We just mailed a cheque to the San Pedro Town Council.
It always worked fine .
John
ablizehomeforus.wordpress.com

Articles to help you in your expat project in Belize

• The tax system in Belize
    The tax system in Belize

Taxes get a bad rap, but every country needs them to sustain infrastructure and government functioning. ...

• Using phones in Belize
    Using phones in Belize

Belize has a national telecommunications company, Belize Telemedia, Limited, and several mobile phone companies ...

• Connecting to the internet in Belize
    Connecting to the internet in Belize

Belize enjoys decent internet coverage. Unfortunately it is slow and expensive. The country has many internet ...

• How to drive in Belize
    How to drive in Belize

In Belize, you can drive with an international driver's license, and you can often drive with a license from ...

• Where's the Beef?
    Where's the Beef?

Before visiting Belize to determine if it was a country we could permanently relocate to, we did an awful lot of ...

• Sports in Belize
    Sports in Belize

Sport has always been a part of Belizean life. Although the country does not have a lot in terms of professional ...

• Banking in Belize
    Banking in Belize

Belize was once known to be a real banking haven, a place where banking secrecy was guaranteed. The situation ...

• Childcare and education in Belize
    Childcare and education in Belize

If you are moving to Belize with your family, you likely have questions about child care and education. There are ...

All of Belize's guide articles