Employment Advice

Dear Members & Expats

If there are relevant threads addressing my queries would you please kindly redirect me and apologies for the disturbance

I have recently returned to UK rat race following vacation in Malaysia. In brief I am smitten by the charms of Malaysia and very keen to consider a return on a more permanent basis

I'm early 30s and have been stuck in a fairly dead-end public sector business support role- dealing in performance/ information/ statistics/ project management for Children's/ Social services. This is not the vocation I wish to spend any longer in than necessary as I have far more creative interests I wish to pursue such as a return to various writing and tv/film production. However, as it is this is my trade and these are my skills; and I have resolved that if the current UK jobs market and economic climate is to keep me constrained to this type of work I might as well at least do it in a nicer more interesting environment rather than having to look out over an Islington council estate any longer. I've put off doing this for several years in case it was perceived as running away, now I feel it would be like running towards something and in the very least I would feel that I was in an environment where my creative energies might receive some stimulation

I am very keen to investigate more thoroughly where the jobs markets are most buoyant ie where someone of my background, age, skillset etc could most easily integrate and seek employment and which sectors are most accessible. I am in the process of completing a CELTA equivalent in English language teaching so wonder if this would make me marketable to any specific area (other than teaching per se). I am trying to convince partner and best mate who are in Reinsurance and Commodity trading of a similar move so was looking to give them some stats in terms of wage and living cost comparison (with UK)- they are more set than I am career-wise, as in truth I am willing to try my hand at almost anything new!

If anyone has any advice or insider experience or could simply signpost me to useful reference points that give key info relating to my queries and  repatriating to Malaysia generally I would be very much in your debt

Hi Malaysia is poor place to start tefling - I recommend Thailand as a starter or china. You won't get a good job here and money sucks. Get a few years experience and try again. Also easier to get out of TEFL in Thailand as if you do corporate work and they like you chance for consultancy work. In Malaysia you need to be an expert and generally only people who can pick and choose jobs back home get decent jobs in Malaysia. After a few years in Thailand/China especially in a business role you will then have a much better chance of work in Malaysia. If you TEFL in Malaysia you may make contacts - I have known it to be done - but far harder. And money really sucks now (those that did it before were in the days when KL was far cheaper). Thailand is still relatively cheap (well TEFL wages are lower than ten years ago and inflation) but better living in Thailand money wise. And you may love that more! The beer is half the price.

You do need to realize from what you say here you came on a hol and your job sucks. Not great reason to emigrate in a third life crisis! Maybe better you travel a bit?