Coming to Bangkok

If all goes as planned. I'll be moving to Bangkok in May. I'm just starting to research the city and what might be great places to live, though it's a tad bit confusing. I won't be tied to a job and am looking to keep my rent below 15,000 baht.

As a newcomer and first timer to the city, are there areas that totally make sense for me? I'm open to my own place and possibly sharing with one other person.

Thanks for you help in advance.

Can anybody recommend the best areas to concentrate my apartment search?

I'm an author and will be spending most of days writing. A little night life every now and then would be good. I will work in sightseeing and a trip to south and to Cambodia but most of my six month stay will be dedicated to writing.

I've been living in BKK for about 15 years. IMO, the key to a sane existence in this city, is having a sanctuary, (comfortable home/apartment), that you can retreat to when the need arises. Since that need arises often, the necessity of finding a suitable crib in BKK is paramount to healthy living.

Under 15,000 Baht shouldn't be a problem, tho I would suggest that finding something close to the SkyTrain is more important than price.  If the location you select means a short walk or mototaxi ride to the nearest station that's a huge plus.

On Nut might be a good place to start. Many apts to choose from and just across the street from Lotus. Has a large open air market area that sells all sort of goodies.  Fantastic eye candy there any time of day. Udom Suk is great, loads of new apartments and loads more under construction.  Probably a little cheaper (and quieter), than On Nut. Friendly, safe and Topps (food store) and Central Dept Store are not far.

Thanks, Fre33dom.  I'll look into those areas. Good advice about making my place comfortable, even more so since I'll be spending a lot of time there.

I've been looking at apartments online but I realize it's best to look at them in person. Is it easier to use a real estate agent to find a place? I'm a little worried about the language barrier and want to make sure I understand everything about the place I'll be renting.

Also, I can't quite decide between a condo or a serviced apartment. I'm leaning towards serviced because of the amenities. I won't be traveling to a job and will spend most of my day in the apartment. I'm an author and I've got a deadline to meet for my next book.

Thoughts?

I think it would be best to begin living in a serviced apartment until you are comfortable with the city and know your way around before getting your own rental apartment for your privacy (and of course would be more economical)... just the thought :-)

Lucky hunting!!!!

Hi Latersbra, I'm moving to Thailand this April 19 and my apartment is already booked in Min Aparment in Minburi Bangkok and its very cheap, just 5500 Baht for a month with aircon, refrigerator, wifi, hot/cold water etc.
Pratima

Hi Pratima,

Thanks for you feedback. Seems like you got a great deal. Could you tell me how you found your apartment ahead of time?

Thanks.

Well, actually, I'll doing some course in BKK and fortunately the very institute booked my apartment.
Cheers

Stayed in Thong Lo and I found it safe and well connected!

Hey Vince,

Thanks for the info. From what I can tell, Thong Lo is a road connecting Sukhumvit and Thanon Phetchaburi, right? If so, where along it did you live? It seem like a cool area, in between those two roads.

Hi Latersbra,

I would just like to ask if you have any specific area or place where you like to stay in Bangkok? Well, I can say that its difficult to search using the net and even when you try calling the place cause most doesn't understand english (based on my experience). Whats more difficult is when you try looking for the place cause its difficult to communicate with taxi/tuktuk/motorbike. In case you already have a list of apartment/hotel, please try to select those that are located near the BTS (skytrain) or MRT to avoid traffic during rush hours. As to the price, my female friend were able to secure a good place around 10,000 baht so I think you wont have any problem about it. It was already fully furnish and ready to move in. I believe its a condo type already and they even have a pool. Normally, they will require a 1 month deposit and 1 month advance. Yes you may be able to find a place around 4,500 to 7,000 baht but I think its not that close to the center of the city so it will involve additional cost on your part. I agree with Usaneesin that you try to stay in a certain place (service apartment) for a month then later on transfer once you're familiar with the place.

If you already have a particular place to stay and would need some help, just message me here. Thanks =)

Hi Kenthz,

Thanks for your feedback. I'll probably focus my search on the Sukhumvit area all the way to On Nut. I know it's a large area. The other areas I might consider is around Victory Monument and Silom area.

I got a hotel for the first week and half, hopefully I'll find a place in that amount of time. I don't need to live in a certain area because of work. I work from home so a comfortable place is what's important since I'll be spending a lot of time there.

Ty

Your welcome Latersbra! I'm currently living in silom and working in Sukhumvit area. Well 1.5 weeks would be enough time for you to look for a good place. There's plenty of Condo, Service apartment and Hotel(CSH) near Sukhumvit, however, the price is high compared to Silom but still within your range.:)I dont think you'll have problem with food since its near Terminal 21 mall with many type of food to choose from. There's not much of a good CSH near Silom so maybe you can try those place going to On Nut and its quite busy/alive during nighttime here since its one of most visited place in Bangkok. I hope that you'll be able to find a good place to stay and write your book. God bless! =)

Please try this site for searching accommodation which may meet your need or try to find other agents in google.com.th
goldengateasia.com
bkkcitismart.com/en/Property-For-Rent.aspx

How about your visa? Do you have any arrangement for your visa yet?

[Moderated: No free ad pls]

Hi, I have a visa already. Thanks.

One more recommendation is you should go with condo than apartment or serviced apartment because they will cost you high for their management and services, as well for their utilities supply (electric, water, telephone, internet...). If you rent a condo, you can pay those fees directly to the government and can save a lot.

Good to know, Trang. Thanks. It's important to me that I have fast internet all the time. I heard with apartments or serviced apartments, it's limited. I also heard with condo's, there's often no internet and I must hook it up myself, which means installing a telephone line. Is that possible if essentially a  tourist?

I rent a condo and the management team in building who get paid by the owners supported me to contact with the provider for high speed internet, wifi, pay the utillities without any problem (telephone line is separated to internet). For some other condos, the tenants go to pay the utilities directly at seven eleven

Hey!! Condos can be great as most of the newer developments have internet and you can purchase your speed or size per month from the office..if you are still looking for a condo I have a great one in On nut that is 15,000 with pool, gym internet etc..!

Hi Jonno,

The place sounds interesting. I haven't found a place yet. Please PM me more information about the condo. Thanks.

Ty