Kingdom Tower Evacuation Today!

All,

Be advised that the Kingdom Tower and the surrounding area (a few blocks) was evacuated today at about 5pm.  Im not sure what is happening, but if I hear anything I will be sure to keep you posted.

I drove by the Tower on Aruba Road at about 5:30 pm and didnt see anything happening at all

Evidently someone called in a bomb threat.  This is what came through on Reuters...

Saudi Kingdom Tower evacuated after bomb hoax
Wed Jan 20 16:42:27 UTC 2010
RIYADH (Reuters) - Saudi authorities ordered the evacuation of Kingdom Tower, a landmark in the capital Riyadh, as a precaution on Wednesday after a bomb threat which turned out to be a hoax, an Interior Ministry spokesman said.

"We confirm that this was a hoax ... The building and sites immediately close to it are being evacuated as a precautionary measure," Mansour al-Turki, Interior Ministry spokesman for security affairs, told Reuters.

"An unknown person called an employee at Samba (Financial Group) bank's offices in the tower to say a bomb was placed in his car" he added.

Bomb threats are rare in Saudi Arabia.

Turki said earlier the anonymous caller told a Samba employee that the bomb was placed in a car in the parking lot of the bank's main headquarters in Riyadh.

"Two Samba employees called (the police) about this matter and gave conflicting information," Turki said.

Majid al-Seif, a Samba spokesman, declined to comment.

Islamist militants launched a violent campaign to destabilise the U.S.-allied monarchy in 2003. The violence has subsided since 2006 after nearly 200 people were killed, including foreign residents, security forces and militants.

(Reporting by Souhail Karam; Editing by Jon Boyle)

Wow, were you there when it happened, CAF?

No.  I got a call from a friend.  She said her husband had been evacuated and asked if I new anything or the number to the Embassy.  My hubby was already home, so he wasn't affected, but some folks who were in the country (staying at the 4 Seasons) visiting his office were asked to pack their stuff and move out.  Interesting developments!

(moderated: :offtopic: )

DEJA VU VU!

This Danny Johnson guy is becoming extremely annoying.