Menu
Expat.com

Supermarkets

Last activity 18 March 2013 by Cathal81

Loramichaelsuki

Are there western or American type supermarkets in Suzhou? We hardly go out for dining since we cook our meals at home. I am wondering about the availability of western groceries.  I love the idea of going to a wet market since foods will be more fresh.

What about pet products and vet service?

S-Punkt

Hey Loramichaelsuki,

Dont worry; youll have a great choice of western supermarkets in SIP. Youll also find a number of neighborhood centers were you can buy fresh fruits and veggies better as in supermarket!  Anyway I recommend you to live SIPthe rest of Suzhou is not that mutch developed that western people wanna live there!
Pet shops and vet service are easy to findat least in SIP.
For your way to Wuzhong: Its actually not far from SIP, but if there is rush hour a 1hour drive will be not enough.

Anyway, Suzhou is the best choice for living in China. Have been too many cities in China already and Im very happy to be based in Suzhou. If my boss try to move me somewhere else in China; Im off!!!

See ya,
S-Punkt

lily.sun

Yep,you can find markets like Auchan,Wal-mart,RT-market,Carrefour and some groceries too.

As for wet market, it can be found mostly near the commuinity,tips:)food there are without price tag.

It is easy to find pet clinics here,where you could do your pet  treatment and pet grooming,they also sell pet products.

Loramichaelsuki

Hi Punkt,
Thank you for your invaluable input. 

It might be premature for me to make a scenario of life in Suzhou because I do not have the job offer yet. But certainly the information that you guys provide could be a big deciding factor whether my husband and myself can tear ourselves away from life as we know it here in the US.

Best regards

Cathal81

Depending on your location in Suzhou there are many many western style supermarkets.

There is an Auchen (French) market, a Walmart (US) in the In City complex in SIP, and a Tesco in SND. There are also a few RT Marts about (Japapense) but they sell certain Western style foods. There is also a Euro-mart in SIP, where they sell European produce. Check out the website whatsoninsuzhou.com.cn for addresses and so on.... or pic up the magazine from some of the expat bars and restaurants. It contains maps and will give a better idea as to where they are located.

Hope that helps.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Suzhou

• Accommodation in Suzhou
    Accommodation in Suzhou

Located in China's Jiangsu province, Suzhou is home to over six million people. The city is often called the ...

• Finding work in Suzhou
    Finding work in Suzhou

Located in Jiangsu province, Suzhou is an important Chinese city. It is just about 100 kilometers away from ...

• Accommodation in Dalian
    Accommodation in Dalian

Dalian is the biggest city in Liaoning province. The city is home to over six million people, many of which are ...

• Accommodation in Chongqing
    Accommodation in Chongqing

Chongqing is an important city in southwest China. It is home to over 30 million people and is considered to be ...

• Accommodation in Tianjin
    Accommodation in Tianjin

Tianjin is a first-tier coastal city in northern China and a busy and crowded metropolis with over 15 million ...

• Buying property in Shanghai
    Buying property in Shanghai

Shanghai has continually appeared close to the top of the list of cities with the most expensive real estate in ...

• Finding work in Shanghai
    Finding work in Shanghai

Shanghai frequently tops the list of the most desirable destinations for expats in China — in no small part ...

• Accommodation in Xiamen
    Accommodation in Xiamen

Xiamen, located in Fujian Province in China, is one of southern China's most picturesque coastal cities and ...

All of Suzhou's guide articles