Easter?? Here?

Hi everyone

To find some info on the Danish Easter, as always I turned to Worktrotter The information is helpful, but I'd also like to get some first-hand info, 'cause I've never experienced the Danish Easter.

This year I'm going to spend Easter with the family of my Danish husband, who is going to be in the USA at that moment.... Yeap!

So, it would really help me if you could share some info, give some tips and son :)

Really looking forward to some inputs! :)

Lena

Hi.

Dont stress, really Easter does not have a lot of mistakes you can make, it is just about eating lunch :D And also people do different things, in my family the kids used to get an Easter egg with chocolate and toys in for Easter, we would eat eggs for B-fast and then paint the eggs shells afterwards.

One important thing is that you must send out "Gækkebreve" google them to see what it is, and very important if you get a gækkebreve and not guess who it is from before Easter you must by the sender and Easter egg, if you guess who it is from they must get you an Easter egg, please get your scissors and paper out and get started on your own gækkebreve. :D

Have fun.

Hi Satahk,

Thanks for the advice!! Gækkebreve, is it something you make every year? :)

Lena

Hi,

I'm not in Denmark yet, but my husband and I are applying under the Green Card Scheme.

This is fascinating to read about! To whom should one send a Gækkebreve?

Cheers,

Andrea

I used to send it to most of my family, grandmother, aunt, uncle, even my mother, to friends and even my school teachers. Just remember you must have enough money to by Easter eggs for everybody if they guess you send them. It is very much something one do with children, but grown ups also do it between each other.

H.C. Andersen did a lot of very beautiful gækkebreve and I believe he made some nice poems as well to write on the letters.

And yes it is a tradition to do it every Easter.   

:)

Thank you!  And the type of Easter eggs-- are they the blown-out shells that are painted, or chocolate Easter eggs?  Or a different type?

Here in Wisconsin (and Minnesota where my husband is from) the tradition is generally that the parents boil up a dozen or more eggs and the kids color them the night before.  Then the Easter Bunny (really the parents) sneaks into the house that night and hides them, so the kids have an Easter egg hunt on Easter morning.  YMMV from family to family, but this is what my family and my friends' families did.

And now, on an unrelated note, I'm heading out to take my kiddies to the St. Patrick's day parade!

Thanks, Sarah

When should I send the letters? Is it during the whole påske week or does it have to be before a certain day?

@ Andrea, it's funny we do almost the same in Russia :) We colur boiled eggs the night before and then kids would normally find a couple of eggs in each of theirs slippers, when they put their feet down in them in the morning :)

Lena

There is no rules from when you can start sending the letters, however it is on Easter day that you must give and get the Easter eggs, so it must be before that.

Normally one would give chocolate Easter eggs, but one can be more creative as well.

Thanks a lot, Sarah!!
God Påske to you and your family when it comes :)
Lena