Menu
Expat.com

My English is poor.

Last activity 09 May 2013 by MO2013

tommm

Hi dear users..Is it rude to text 'do you wanna be friends' to someone new whom you wanna make friends with.

Melby

Not necessarily, but it's probably better to interact with people a bit on the boards first. Otherwise it's kind of random, and how do you know if you want to be friends with somone when you know nothing about them?

Fred

Not actually rude but very odd.
You could try, "hi, I'm off to Fred's bar tonight with some mates. Want to come?".

tommm

Thank you..but what if you wanna know somebody but that someone is not on the board.How would I know?  cuz its social network,everyone has to be friendly.Come on friendlies,have some faith.I'm alright if she doesn't have a pretty smile etc..,as long good-hearted,im all-right with that..

tommm

Thanks mate.Sounds good mate, can't cuz we forever blowing bubbles in Singapura.

HaileyinHongKong

I think people who don't know English very well use the word "friend" more casually than native speakers.  They call anyone with whom they want to be friendly "friend".  We save it for true friends.

James

Hi tommm,

It's probably far better to interact with people in the open forum before trying to contact them and start up a friendship of any kind. Unsolicited private messages or copy and paste messages to several members in the PM system can end up getting your mailboxes locked out or even having your membership cancelled.

If you've interacted with a member a bit in the forum chances are more likely they will be open to a friendship. Just remember that Expat-blog IS NOT at dating or matchmaking site, so keep it friends.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

tommm

Ok thanks.

tommm

Thank you,understood.No intentions of any kind.Good day Sir.

Pangki Sudirjo
HaileyinHongKong wrote:

I think people who don't know English very well use the word "friend" more casually than native speakers.  They call anyone with whom they want to be friendly "friend".  We save it for true friends.

native speaker always use "guy" or "girl"
friend means "true friend" not someone who meet just one or twice

Aamia

Hi Friend's,
Good discussion going in this post. I also have same problem, my english is weak, how i improve my english in writting or speaking. I need your help.

mizzmagz

Hi aamia,
English is my second language, so i might not be the best person to give you advice. i think what would help is practice. Reading an english book and try to talk or chat in english. ^^

mizzmagz
tommm wrote:

Hi dear users..Is it rude to text 'do you wanna be friends' to someone new whom you wanna make friends with.

Hai, maybe it would be easier if you talk lil bit more before saying that. i dont think its rude, just a wee bit odd. ^^

Aamia
mizzmagz wrote:

Hi aamia,
English is my second language, so i might not be the best person to give you advice. i think what would help is practice. Reading an english book and try to talk or chat in english. ^^

Thank's alot.

HaileyinHongKong
mizzmagz wrote:

Hi aamia,

You probably are the right person to give advice.  You know how to learn English as an adult.  Native speakers learned as children.  I can tell people what's wrong & right, but I don't know anything about learning English as a second language.

customade

Read as many books as you can.

Gary
Aamia wrote:
mizzmagz wrote:

Hi aamia,

Thank's alot.

If you want some help you can use Google or another search engine when you write in English. Also, most browsers have spell checkers but that can be tricky...

You might have have found that it's Friends (and not Friend's). The same goes for thanks (and not thank's). Alot is no English word, it should be a lot.

Read all you can lay your hands on, practice in chats with native English speakers and if you're really serious buy a course that comes with a book and a CD.

HaileyinHongKong
Google translation wrote:

There has not imagination of not heaven if make easy try. Sky above below only our hell. Peace of live imagination of people all.

Gary

I never said Google translation - I know that translation programs suck.

I meant Google search. When you google a misspelled word, Google will either suggest  "did you mean...." or in one of the first results you'll get some explanation.
Try f.i. googling alot

HaileyinHongKong

Their to old four you're weighs.

All spelled correctly according to Google.

Gary

Yeah wonderful. I'm proud of you.

tommm

Hi everyone,thanks for sharing.

bradley.pinto

Keep talking to your friends & colleagues in English. Also do a bit of loud reading everyday. Underline the words you don't understand & then refer to a dictionary. Do not feel afraid to talk in English, coz' its through mistakes that you will perfect your self. Your colleagues will correct you when ever you make a mistake.

Good Luck!!

Shayn3

What a sound advice. Practise makes perfect. Don't allow anyone to make you feel inferior just because your english is not perfect. Remember, most of them can't even speak your language!!
Reading will help you improve your vocabulary as well!! Good luck and enjoy the language!

HaileyinHongKong

In answer to the question, yes.

MO2013
Shayn3 wrote:

What a sound advice. Practise makes perfect. Don't allow anyone to make you feel inferior just because your english is not perfect. Remember, most of them can't even speak your language!!
Reading will help you improve your vocabulary as well!! Good luck and enjoy the language!

Hi guys,

In regards of the question posted by Aamia "how to improve the English language Proficiency (writing/speaking) ?"

I completely agree with what was posted by Shayn3. This can be addressed as "positive mindset" which will be developed by:
    - Believe in yourself.
    - Be willing to make whatever necessary to improve your  language.
    - Have the attitude of never giving up

Wish you good luck.
Cheers,
MO.

Articles to help you in your expat project

All guide articles