Menu
Expat.com

school administrators

Last activity 08 August 2013 by egus

drmoni

Im curious as to why the CM has so many hoops to jump through. I think my concern is primarily because the pay for the three positions is the same. You would think with the extra hoops come extra dollars:)
At any rate, my house is practically empty. I will be parting this residence on the last day of the month and residing in my RV  until the plane ticket arrives!
Hurry, hurry, hurry!!!
smile.png

flimbric2

I agree...and my goal is to be out by July 1.. living out of a suitcase

Sonjyia Bryant

Crickets...... : ) I have been reading through you conversations looking for keys and clues.
I hope to be in Abu Dhabi this fall. WHo know's I might teach for one of you. I submitted all of my documents to ProEx on Friday, but have not heard from them yet. I did this before I got the contract though. Now I'm not sure if I did the right thing....

When will you guys be moving?

drmoni

HEY GUYS, HOWS IT GOING? PHIL DID YOU GET YOUR CONTRACT YET? WE KNOW FOR SURE THAT ADEC HAS OUR DOCUMENTS AND THEY ARE IN THE PROCESS OF SECURING OUR WORK VISAS..,JUST TRYING TO SEE IF YOU GUYS HEARD ANYTHING.

flimbric2

Hi Sonjyia welcome to the blog. I also sent my docs to proex before I got a contract. Id to think ithelped to speed up the process. U can call proex to verify they received the docs.  I sent in docs to get my daughter authenticated and proex sent an email stating it will be completed by May 29. I wish u well. Let us kno if u any questions we can answer.

flimbric2

Hi Egus and Phil any news yet? We were told to let ariane know if a travel agency calls.

egus

Hi all,

Nope...no news as of yet. My rep said he had to resend my attested docs in color (I assume because the stamp from the UAE embassy is in color and they want to ensure it's not forged). Aside from that, living out of a suitcase and ready to go at a moments notice.

flimbric2

Well it seems we are in the same stages, the wait and. Wait stage..but it does appear our visas are being processed.

Danelectro

Patiently waiting to hear from HR ADEC again about a formal offer. After talking to someone who is a cluster manager now I don't expect to get that until they know I've got a visa so it may be weeks. TeachAway rep estimates early July for the trip over.

Sonjyia you did the right thing to get on the documents at this stage. I was told by ProEx that they would email a scanned copy of my documents as they were overnighting them to me but they didn't notify me in any way and my FedEx envelope was out in the weather for a week before I found it on my acreage. Wasn't too happy about that so look out for it daily.

drmoni

Hey guys,
Yes, early July sounds about right according to my last conversation with Teach Away. Did anyone download the necessary programs on thier computer/electronic devices?

egus

I unlocked my phone and looking at various VPNs (I may go with Astrill). I also downloaded a couple of internet based phone applications so I can call back to the usa for free. That's about it so far.

flimbric2

What type of apps did u download?

egus

On my iphone: Tango, Talkatone, Wi-Fi finder, Tripit.

Danelectro

I love my "convert units" app for miles-kilometers; dollars-dirhams; feet-cm; etc. I've got talkatone, IKEA, Gold-Price, Skype, and don't forget the iADEC app for locating schools and getting all the publications.

drmoni

Wow! thanks guys! That is very helpful. I had to buy a new laptop, so I will be downloading the apps that you mentioned. Did you keep your current phone service? I was able to find phones with dual sims on line. I was contemplating ordering one. From what I understand you can keep your current service and also get a local number in the UAE upon arrival - you may also be able to buy the sims ahead of time so that upon arrival you have service.

Danelectro

Guess I'm missing the advantage of continuing to pay for a US plan. You can port your number to a free google number and use Talkatone to call and recieve free calls from US. Am I missing something? There is a 20$ fee for porting I should mention. Magic Jack Plus also has an iPhone app.

Sonjyia Bryant

New question.... What is a English Medium Teacher and what is the school operations sector? I just got the ADEC letter of offer and I'm a little unclear.

Sonjyia Bryant

Good looking out! I will be on the lookout...

Sonjyia Bryant

Thanks Danelectro for the app tips. I'm login the iADEC! That app is sooo cool! I've been trying to locate curriculum & standards. has anyone had any luck with that?

Danelectro

Sonjyia EMTs are the imported English speaking teachers (you). Operations is the division of ADEC that includes teaching and administration.

drmoni

Hi Sonjya,
Congratulations on your offer letter! I have a question for you. When was your formal (face to face) interview? Im just trying to guage thier processing time.

egus

Hi gang,
Any news from anyone? Nothing here but waiting for the visa to be processed. I'm officially living out of suitcases lol.

korbie82

The standards are being changed right now and are supposed to be uploaded to the ADEC portal sometime in June inshallah...I can forward them if they do come out.

flimbric2

Thanks Korbie, welcome back to the blog. I look forward to being able to read up on the curriculum we will be responsible for.

drmoni

Good morning Egus,
No news yet. From my understanding, the next form of communication should come from the travel agent. As of yesterday, I too am living out of suitcases. Crazy feeling! Walking away from my home was emotional, but I'm looking forward to the journey.

Phil, any word on your contract?

drmoni

Hi Korbie,
I hope all is well there in the UAE smile.png I would like to see the new standards if you have them. Can you send them to msmonim@gmail.com? I suppose you are preparing for a transition as well, Africa right?

korbie82

I'll be sure to send them drmoni as soon as they're out. We HoFs are freaking out 'cause we're trying to plan for next year ugh! gotta love ADEC lol... Yes my plans to move are going smoothly so far. I'm trying to stay motivated and complete the SIP and SEF for next year. Oh APs and Principals word from our TAMKEEN trainers is Irtiqa'a Inspection will fall before December break! Hopefully all ducks will be in a row when you get here if not those are the first two documents (SIP & SEF) you'll want to get your hands on.

Sonjyia Bryant

Hi Drmoni.  My face to face was in NYC on May 8th.  On Monday May13th I got the notice that I had passed the interview and would be offered a job.  On Monday May 20th I received my offer letter.

I mailed my criminal background check on May 17th but have not heard a thing..... However, I used ProEx to verify my degree and teaching license and that process is almost complete.....

Now if I could just get my classroom cleaned and packed!

egus

Hi gang,

Still no news...blah. Patience right?

drmoni

Turned in the keys to my house today...My district introduce the new principal to my school today...Can you say emotional???
I need the stinking plane ticket!!! It will make me feel sooooo much better, lol!
Ok, I just needed to vent.

Sonjyia Bryant

I feel your pain.... I resigned from my position without having a plane ticket either, but I have enough faith for all of us.

I got my documents back today from ProEx. I have scanned them and sent them off to Footprints.

Now I'm waiting on the criminal background check......

korbie82

Your tickets will come. I remember that feeling. Keep in mind they're also arrange end of service for those of us who are leaving and it's a large group. Many came in 2010 and are either ready to go home now or move to another adventure. Just keep breathing and look at it as practice for when you finally arrive and the work begins!smile.png

egus

I know how you feel drmoni. My house is now gone, my last day is next friday, and I'm in a hotel (no relatives here).  All I have now is my car, three suitcases, and an almost overwhelming sense of dread that comes when one relinquishes their respective life to the unknown.  I'm now physically committed to this venture as I have no where to go. Needless to say, I feel a little lost and directionless. I check my email about a thousand times a day hoping that I hear something from the travel agency or adec or whoever with some positive news.

I read somewhere on one of the forums/blogs that adec doesn't contact candidates with status updates and we'll only hear something if there's an issue. I guess it's just a matter of time.

flimbric2

Egus I pray Ur ticket comes first. Living in a hotel indefinitely has got to b a pain.  We r all over patiently waiting. Korbie best wishes on Ur new adventure, I will get a copy if the docs from drmoni.  Any parting words if advice?
Phil any news yet?...
I am still in my house, for the time being waiting for it to close escrow .... And I too have resigned as of. July 31

egus

I have a suspicion that we'll get there together. I think they group travelers together...so...if you guys hear before me, my ticket won't be far behind and if I hear before you...you're tickets won't be far behind. Remember how I got my offer a week before you two? I think it's because we're going through different agencies (TA and Footprints).

Danelectro

Nothing yet but my source tells me I probably won't get the offer for CM until I've gotten through all of the visa processes which could be another month. I'm hoping that some of the delay is indicative of them reworking the compensation. I'm ready to know and to go. I've resigned effective June 30. I'm sick of this rash of tornadic weather and after a long drought we have too much water. I did have a great reprieve last night at the McCartney concert in Tulsa. It was the last of 3 shows he played here and it was the best concert and most musical rock concert I've ever experienced. If you guys are interested in linking on FaceBook let me know; I have concert pictures there too. Insha'a Allah.

flimbric2

Hi Phil, I am definitely interested in linking with you on facebook.  I hope all is well with you are your family in OK. the devastation there has touched my heart.  my facebook is Felicia foxworth limbrick.

Danelectro

Fourth night in a row we are getting pounded. A mother and baby were sucked out of their vehicle earlier. It's like London 1940 during the blitzkrieg with night after night of warnings to take cover.

korbie82

One tip: When you get here check out UAE Swap and Shop on facebook to find good quality items for a great price.

flimbric2

Hi Phil, I hope you are ok after this last storm.

@ Korbie, great tip, we were hoping to be able to buy great used furniture.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Abu Dhabi

All of Abu Dhabi's guide articles