Menu
Expat.com

culture

Last activity 25 April 2013 by PaulW

adamjohnson13

How can one adapt easily to a new environment

Salman Omrani

be open minded and feel okay to try new things. for starters i mean.

HaileyinHongKong

Don't expect the new place to be like the old place.  And drink plenty of water.

Fred
Salman Omrani wrote:

be open minded and feel okay to try new things. for starters i mean.

Right on the head, brother.

Eyes and mind wide open.

James
HaileyinHongKong wrote:

Don't expect the new place to be like the old place.  And drink plenty of water.

Right on Hailey, if somebody wants their host country to be just like home, then they'd better stay home. Many of the expats that come here to Brazil are like that, they complain about everything and miss out on all the wonderful things this country has to offer.

Don't drink the water here! POISON - bottled water only!

Fred
wjwoodward wrote:
HaileyinHongKong wrote:

Right on Hailey, if somebody wants their host country to be just like home, then they'd better stay home. Many of the expats that come here to Brazil are like that, they complain about everything and miss out on all the wonderful things this country has to offer.

Don't drink the water here! POISON - bottled water only!

I think that happens all over the world.

I usually suggest they call an airline and bugger off home, but I'm subtle like that.

Primadonna

To read about it first and take the time to adjust.

stumpy

Do your homework and study up on your new environment.
Be adaptable and open minded,avoid comparisons and criticisms.

And learn to smile....

j.echo

be interested with new things, and enjoy the new culture.....

HaileyinHongKong
stumpy wrote:

Be adaptable and open minded,avoid comparisons and criticisms.

I agree.  I can't get over how those stupid people with red cars drive faster than the nice people with blue cars.

PaulW

I think that you have to take things as they come. Don't be surprised if things happen that are way beyond what you might consider "normal" in your own home culture. Expect the unexpected and ride with it.

Articles to help you in your expat project

All guide articles