Menu
Expat.com

Midwestern American Girl in Ireland...Contemplating Move Back Home ...

Last activity 24 February 2010 by emeraldhoosier

emeraldhoosier

Hi all!

I tripped over expat-blog when I was looking for resources that would help my husband and me make the big decision of whether or not we should move from Ireland to the US. I've lived here 5 years in my husband's hometown. My husband has never lived in the US and is obviously reluctant about the move. The economic situation is prompting the debate, though I'm missing my life back home, too. So, I'm just walking the fine line of weighing the pros and cons with my husband and not pressuring him into something so big and drastic. Anyone in Ireland can appreciate how worried we are about our future here. Any and all sage advice is welcome!! smile.png

TimeTraveler

Not sure about your situation in Ireland, but would you be any better off in the US?  It's tough economically wherever you go.  Would your husband be able to find work in the US or transfer with a company?  Good luck with your decision.

emeraldhoosier

Hi Time Traveler,
Thanks for your reply. I guess I thought my "path" was posted with my details. I'm American and my husband is Irish, so he is eligible for a green card. He is a carpenter, and prospects in both countries for anyone in the construction sector are quite grim. However, unlike Ireland, many communities in the US are doing revitalization projects during the current times to help employ people as well as improve previously downgraded areas, as is the case of my hometown. So, that's encouraging.

I have been unofficially offered a job back home that pays siginificantly more than what I earn in Ireland.

So, on the face of it, we could stand to be better off financially if we move, at least in the immediate sense. It's hard to tell, though, and of course it's never as easy as just booking a plane ticket and going. Moving is expensive in itself and there are emotional ties to consider, too.

Ireland has been badly hit by this recession, and it seems to be getting worse and worse, with no glimmers of hope for the future. I think there's a difference between riding out a storm, which we're completely willing to do, and having to move elsewhere to find long-term opportunity and stability. Oh, if only I had a crystal ball and could see the future! smile.png

Articles to help you in your expat project

• Finding accommodation in Australia
    Finding accommodation in Australia

There are many types of flats, rentals, and houses in Australia, ranging from modern units to more traditional ...

• Accommodation in Manila
    Accommodation in Manila

There are lots of renting options to choose from when relocating to Manila. Most expats in the Philippines live in ...

• Renting accommodation in Qatar
    Renting accommodation in Qatar

Due to the constant movement of expatriates in Qatar, there is a huge variety of rental options to suit all ...

• Buying a property in Mauritius
    Buying a property in Mauritius

The Economic Development Board reminds us that any non-citizen, whether an individual or an investor, is allowed ...

• Buying a property in Hong Kong
    Buying a property in Hong Kong

Hong Kong is home to a large number of expats, many of whom call the city their second home. Thus, it comes as no ...

• Accommodation in Iloilo
    Accommodation in Iloilo

Iloilo, nicknamed the 'Heart of the Philippines', is a province stretching over 4,663 km² in the ...

• Accommodation in Davao
    Accommodation in Davao

Davao is an established metropolitan area with its capital, Davao City, catching up to the main Philippine cities ...

• Accommodation in Cebu
    Accommodation in Cebu

Located in the Visayas region, 750 km from Manila and West of the Negros Island, Cebu is one of the major ...

All guide articles