Menu
Expat.com

why is it so hard to find friends in bangkok?

Last activity 17 June 2013 by suwanna

sepide

Why is it so hard to find friends in bangkok?

amiraryan

why hard?

sepide

Manzooram difficult bood :-(  baraye inke man alan 6 mahe bangkokam hata ye doone doost ham nadaram :-( daram depration migiram kam kam, ya fek konam gereftam.
Delam ye dooste dokhtar mikhast ke ba ham miraftim mabad, restooran, sinama, kharid ... kam kam daram az thailand motanafer misham

amiraryan

hala man pesaram,irad dare?
u kar mikoni ya daneshjoe?
facebook dari?
midunam chi migi.thailand vase safar tafrihiye hafte jalebe.ama badesh k zendegi koni mesle hame jay donya adi mishe va boring.man 1 sale injam.bazi vaghta injuri misham

sepide

Man inja hich kari nemikonam. Fagat hafteyi do rooz kelas zaban. Hamsaram inja kar mikone, manam gahi komakesh mikonam ama karam ziad nist. Fek nakonam hamsaram doost dashte bashe ke kheili ba pesara invar oonvar beram vagar na khodam aslan moshkeli nadashtam

amiraryan

u hamsaret iraniye ya thailandi?

sepide

:-D zabooneto gaz begir. Az thailandia motanaferam, mardashoon kheili zeshtan

sepide

To ye doost dokhtari chizi nadari ke bekhad ba man doost beshe?

amiraryan

hahaha.u shuhar dari bazam depresi?man fekr kardam tanhayi
english class miri ya thai?
age english ham khube beduni ba moshkel dari chon inha bishtareshun english halishun nemishe.man birun az uni rahat nemitunam ba kasi ertebat barghar konam be khatere zaban.
bebin mishe payam khososi bedim?inja hame harfamono mibinan.man shayd betunam ba yeki 2 ta az dustam ashnat konam.inboxeto check kon aval

jazzy851

Hey guys,

Welcome to Expat.com and the forum. smile.png

Please could you post your replies in English as it will help others understand and contribute.  wink.png

Other than that, hope you will make lots of friends soon,

Good luck, big_smile.png

Jaz cool.png

amiraryan

hahhaha
sorry,u r right:lol:

jazzy851

no worries dude. just helping you so that it helps to expand your circle of friends out there... wink.png
enjoy smile.png

amiraryan

r u in thailand?

sepide

Hi Jazzy
It was just about how I feel lonely and I think how a friend will be helpful for me :-)
Sorry again

jazzy851

r u in thailand?

Nope - But i want to visit this beautiful country soon wink.png

jazzy851

Hi Jazzy
It was just about how I feel lonely and I think how a friend will be helpful for me :-)
Sorry again

Hi sepide,
No need to be sorry, I just posted something to help you that's all. As i dont speak your language, i found it hard to understand what you are saying. Now i understand what you are saying as you posted in English big_smile.png, so i can try and help you wink.png

On these forums, sometimes people post get together's. So keep your eye out for these posts as it helps you mix with others there.

Have a good weekend smile.png
Jaz cool.png

WiledErik

OP, how have you tried making friends so far?

sepide

Hello wiledErik
Actually I didn't try too much but I am trying now, in this forum.
I wish I find good friends soon. Wish me luck

malevan

welcome to expat

WiledErik

Oh, I understand.

I see you're in Bangkok, are you here for a long holiday, working, or even studying?

Captnw4

Well, your question deserves a clear and honest answer. There are many foreigners in Thailand that have very strange beliefs and want to force them on others. This has happened to me. Also, people who come here to stay are often misfits in their native country. Myself, I am careful. I have lived here five years.

splender

Yah,, same as me I been here for 2 years but all I need is workk go home work,, I'm lazy to talk to some Thai people because only few people can speak well English,, I go home and play guitar better,, hahaha,,

0cinemax0

not hard to find friend in BKK   ..... you wellcome tongue.png

gonzo1

if you are a farang  and arrived in thailand then it is hard because so many dickheads arrrive and it takes time to be accepted.I been travelling to thailand for years and now have a very good core of friends who i originally  met at the honey hotel at sukhumvit road soi 22. most of my friends live in that area and you will not find them in  bars.like i said they are very guarded and it will take time to be accepted.if you want thai friends then  the language is a big barrier.when you arrive in bangkok maybe try somewhere like the honey hotel or federal hotel and just sit back for a few days . do not be to pushy and i found sitting around pools is alway a good place to met  people.also go to the sports bars  and watch friday night  afl or nrl or  bars which show soccer  depending  in what you like and that is alway a good place to break the ice. as i am australian i sometimes go to some  aussie bars .takes time but there are some really nice people  living in  bangkok. good luck

0cinemax0

I wanna have farang friend for improve my english skill because i can speak english but not very well you can go out for walking kaosan road  I have no working on sunday if you wanna make friend for a cup of coffee.........

gonzo1

sorry i am back in australia right now

gee

meetup.com, that is where you make friends smile.png
gee

scottmallon
Captnw4 wrote:

Well, your question deserves a clear and honest answer. There are many foreigners in Thailand that have very strange beliefs and want to force them on others. This has happened to me. Also, people who come here to stay are often misfits in their native country. Myself, I am careful. I have lived here five years.

Captn - you're spot on.

I've been here 17 years and have seen people come and people go.

First, I am hesitant to make friends anywhere in the world. I need to get to know a person before I become "their friend." Perhaps I can be their acquaintance, perhaps not. You never know when someone you're hanging out with is actually someone who can get you in trouble. I'm not willing to go to jail because someone I'm with is selling drugs or doing something else illegal.

Second, my own time is limited. Who do I want to spend the majority of my free time with, my current, long-time friends and my wife and kids, or someone off of a website forum?

My time is precious to me, thus, I am picky with who I spend time with. It doesn't matter if I'm in the US or UK or Thailand, I don't generally go out to meet someone to "make friends." I have a circle of friends who I've known for 15-20, even 35 years, so for me to introduce someone new into my life takes time.

Third, there are indeed foreigners in Thailand who cannot be trusted. Why do I want to subject myself to this? Also, I speak Thai well and yet only have a handful of Thai acquaintances. Why? Because many have their own circle of friends and their own families. Time is limited and a precious commodity.

Finally, while I have no problem relating to those from the US, UK, Australia, or Europe, I don't particularly understand people from the Middle East or Africa. The only Africans I've ever met in Thailand have tried to scam me and they tend to hang out in their own areas. The only people from the Middle East I've met have been in a hospital. Doesn't mean I don't like them or can't get along with them but with limited time and my family, making friends is not my highest priority. I doubt many others make it their top priority either. If it happens, it happens, if it doesn't, no problem.

Also, I can't tell you how many times Thai women have asked me to teach them English. First, I don't think my wife would like this as I'm not an English teacher. Second, why on earth do I want to spend my time with someone teaching them English when I have other things I want and need to do. Time is precious but time is money too. The amount I would be paid to teach English doesn't come close to the value I put on my time.

kiwi rice farmer

Hullo Sepide,,

There may be people on this site who would like to get to know you but you need then to say something about yourself. BTW my home is in Khon Kaen but I work in Bangkok during the week...my work is busy but I am interested in expanding my circle of friends in Bkk

thetefldon
Captnw4 wrote:

I have been folowing this thread for a while and feel I really need to comment since some of the replies beggar belief. I certainly go along with most of what the Captw4 says and some of what Scott wrote further down.

To be honest I find it hard to believe that folk move to a place like Bangkok or other areas of Thailand without seemingly doing their homework.

If you want friends, go out and meet people, try learning a bit of Thai, get a job, avoid the bar scene, get out and see a bit of Thailand, and don't hang out with "expats" that you meet on an anonymous forum.

There are plenty of people on here who are not what they purport to be or indeed are not located where they say they are. Half the hangers on are not even expats but either trolls or locals in disguise.

Sorry to be so blunt but it needs saying.

The helpful folk who really live here in Thailand and participate on this forum do their best to offer advice based on their experiences. You won't find them making ridiculous one line comments that offer no help and bear no relationship to the original post.

scottmallon
thetefldon wrote:
Captnw4 wrote:

I have been folowing this thread for a while and feel I really need to comment since some of the replies beggar belief. I certainly go along with most of what the Captw4 says and some of what Scott wrote further down.

To be honest I find it hard to believe that folk move to a place like Bangkok or other areas of Thailand without seemingly doing their homework.

If you want friends, go out and meet people, try learning a bit of Thai, get a job, avoid the bar scene, get out and see a bit of Thailand, and don't hang out with "expats" that you meet on an anonymous forum.

There are plenty of people on here who are not what they purport to be or indeed are not located where they say they are. Half the hangers on are not even expats but either trolls or locals in disguise.

Sorry to be so blunt but it needs saying.

The helpful folk who really live here in Thailand and participate on this forum do their best to offer advice based on their experiences. You won't find them making ridiculous one line comments that offer no help and bear no relationship to the original post.

Honestly, I find it extremely hard to believe people have such a difficult time of meeting others they need to put a "Why is it so hard to find friends in Bangkok" distress call on a forum where no one knows who you really are or what you really do.

pingriver

not really... let's change that...my cel. 0859041616

scottmallon

Good on ya...

jeeclassic

welcome to thailand.
I think that alot thais is friendly & smile.

WiledErik
jeeclassic wrote:

welcome to thailand.
I think that alot thais is friendly & smile.

Depends on the smile wink.png

sepide

Hi dear friends
I am so sorry, I was sad and lonely that momemt and just posted something that I disnt mean. Of course it is not that difficault to make friends in BBK. Thais are friendly and now I have few thai friends. I want to thank u all, u are very friendly and nice to me, I think I made a lot of friend in this post. Thanks a lot and sorry again
Sep

suwanna

Hi.sorry to be blunt, but thais don't smile unless they see money. I always wonder, they say Thailand is a land of smiles,but I don't see the smiles! I have given up making and meeting so called friends. Majority are cons. Kassen

jazzy851

Hi.sorry to be blunt, but thais don't smile unless they see money.

Are you saying they are all like that? roll.png

gee

no, only the ones in Bangkok, but that goes for the Westerners in BKK too
LOL

splender

I think not like that,, even you, how you can smile to the people you don't know,,
And about money better,, look your self first,, ask your self,,because money is very important also,, so if you think like that most of your friends you only buy it in money,, it means you are not good to treat them if you think like that,, or example I'm Thai,, and I  have no money,better not to friend to you,,.sorry to offend you, but it's only in your mind,,

Articles to help you in your expat project in Bangkok

All of Bangkok's guide articles