Menu
Expat.com

facebook

Last activity 26 June 2013 by Yuli_nguyen

yolandyoland2

does anyone else have problems with facebook on the PC. it seams that I cant get it anymore on most places. Think the vn goverment has banned it again, is this correct?

ancientpathos

I have problems with yahoo and facebook.  Everything else is fine.

Nam_
yolandyoland2 wrote:

does anyone else have problems with facebook on the PC. it seams that I cant get it anymore on most places. Think the vn goverment has banned it again, is this correct?

I am able to get on facebook (no problem with yahoo either). The only hindrance for me is that my internet is acting up right now an I often have to try 2 or 3 times to load a webpage, but facebook is working about as well as any other.

Interestingly when I piggybacked off of a local hotel's wifi for a couple of days (a few weeks ago) before getting my internet hooked up it seemed as though I could go to any site I wanted EXCEPT facebook. When I was using their wifi I never once got the facebook page to load even though I could come here, check email and go to many other sites. Hmmm...

Good luck!

laidbackfreak

No problems with any site I want to visit smile.png

Try changing your DNS settings, see if that helps.

richiv

Facebook is definitely blocked where I live but can be easily accessed by using a VPN...

saigonmonkey

It all depends on where you are. Some ISPs block it, others do not. Mine's blocked periodically (not continuously) at home, but never blocked out in Binh Duong and Bien Hoa City where I work. At home, it seems every time I want to check it, it's blocked, then a few days later, my wife will ask me about something she sees on Facebook at that moment. So, obviously, she has better luck with it than I do. It's not usually blocked at most places in District 1, such as bars, restaurants, and coffee shops.

MarkinNam

heard that the gov was watching traffic fairley closely due to unfavourable comments

hELLnoi

Facebook is BANNED in Vietnam like China.
However, every other person has found the backdoor and almost every young Vietnamese has a Facebook account.

Anatta
laidbackfreak wrote:

No problems with any site I want to visit smile.png

Try changing your DNS settings, see if that helps.

Agree with what laidbackfreak said.

Here is what you need to do: change from "Obtain DNS server address automatically" to "Use the following DNS server addresses"
Preferred DNS server 8.8.8.8
Alternate DNS server 8.8.4.4

It should work for many of the Vietnamese internet vendors

TRONGNM

change your host file with this range IP (You can go to this folder : C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\, right click on the host file and Open with Notepad, Then you copy range ip below and save it

173.252.100.26 facebook.com
173.252.100.26 login.facebook.com
173.252.100.26 apps.facebook.com
173.252.100.26 graph.facebook.com
173.252.100.26 register.facebook.com
173.252.100.26 vi-vn.connect.facebook.com
173.252.100.26 vi-vn.facebook.com
173.252.100.26 static.ak.connect.facebook.com
173.252.100.26 developers.facebook.com
173.252.100.26 error.facebook.com
173.252.100.26 channel.facebook.com
173.252.100.26 bigzipfiles.facebook.com
173.252.100.26 pixel.facebook.com
173.252.100.26 upload.facebook.com
173.252.100.26 logins.facebook.com
173.252.100.26 blog.facebook.com
173.252.100.26 connect.facebook.com

Best Regards

deddyp

I think they blocked for some ISP, at home I can't access but in the office I can access it without changing any DNS. I still can access through my phone also (mobifone)

saigonmonkey
Anatta wrote:

Here is what you need to do: change from "Obtain DNS server address automatically" to "Use the following DNS server addresses"
Preferred DNS server 8.8.8.8
Alternate DNS server 8.8.4.4

It should work for many of the Vietnamese internet vendors

Anatta, my friend, that information has been around for several years now, and because of that, most ISPs have it figured out, and still block even with those settings. Mine at home does. But... my home ISP frequently (according to my wife) unblocks Facebook, even with open DNS (all settings on "Automatic"). I have all my computers set to open DNS now, and it appears to make no difference in my ability to access Facebook or not.

Anatta

Saigonmonkey

How are you doing?
I have tried this (8.8.8.8 name server) during the last few days on two different ISP's and managed to access to facebook and a couple of "prohibited websites" while using default DNS will not give me access to either of them, so apparently this trick still works (for some ISP's anyway).

saigonmonkey
TRONGNM wrote:

change your host file with this range IP (You can go to this folder : C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\, right click on the host file and Open with Notepad, Then you copy range ip below and save it

173.252.100.26 apps.facebook.com
173.252.100.26 vi-vn.connect.facebook.com
173.252.100.26 vi-vn.facebook.com
173.252.100.26 static.ak.connect.facebook.com
173.252.100.26 upload.facebook.com
173.252.100.26 logins.facebook.com
173.252.100.26 blog.facebook.com
173.252.100.26 connect.facebook.com

Best Regards

TRONGNM gets my vote for best reply in this thread. (Sorry Anatta)

I just did this on my work computer, and it fixed a problem the office IT guys created about 2 years ago, because I couldn't make them understand what they had done so they could fix it themselves. What they had done was exactly this, but with different IP addresses that don't work anymore. It caused my work computer to never be able to access Facebook anywhere - even where it's not blocked. It wasn't a big deal to me, because I don't use Facebook that much, and certainly shouldn't be using it that much at work, but it's nice to know it's fixed now.

THANKS TRONGNM!thanks.gif

saigonmonkey
Anatta wrote:

Saigonmonkey

How are you doing?
I have tried this (8.8.8.8 name server) during the last few days on two different ISP's and managed to access to facebook and a couple of "prohibited websites" while using default DNS will not give me access to either of them, so apparently this trick still works (for some ISP's anyway).

Hey Anatta! I'm doing great, now that Howie's 7000 miles away from here. big_smile.png

Yeah, those DNS addresses DO work in various places, but don't work universally. It was a pain for me to use them, because when I had my computer set to them, I would sometimes have trouble accessing the internet at all, depending on where I was. The tech support guy from my ISP told me to just set to automatic, and I won't have any more trouble, Facebook or no Facebook.

Anatta

Saigonmonkey
No worry about me being sad.
TRONGNM's solution and laidbackfreak's (and mine) solution is essentially the same, namely resolving the name mapping.

Vietnam's government blocks access very rudimentarily, just at name mapping level. Every time one types a web address, you need a name serve to map it to a four-digit address. E.g., when you type facebook.com, the name server will look up and know the four-digit address is 173.252.100.26.

Now, if you use the standard name server, you will rely on the ISP's name server. If the ISP does not want you to access facebook, its name server will not give you the 173.252.100.26 address.

To avoid it, you can use two ways:

1. Do the manual mapping yourself, i.e., TRONGNM's method. The advantage with this is that it will work with all network connections (more about it in a minute). The disadvantage is that you need to do it for every forbidden websites. I read a lot of other websites blocked in Vietnam (e.g., blogs from wordpress), so it would be cumbersome to type each and every of them.

2. Use another DNS. 8.8.8.8 is Google's name server which, of course, does not block anything. The advantage is that you don't need to type all web addresses. The disadvantage is that you need to specify this name server in for EACH of your network connection (once only), i.e., once for your home network connection and once for your work network connection. It applies even when you use the same ISP (say, Viettel, both at work and at home). I would guess that you didn't set the DNS name properly for your work network connection, thus this method did not work for you (at work).

Anatta
saigonmonkey wrote:

Hey Anatta! I'm doing great, now that Howie's 7000 miles away from here. big_smile.png

Let's hope that he stays there a bit longer so that Vietnam's economy can have any chance of recovering.

saigonmonkey
Anatta wrote:

I would guess that you didn't set the DNS name properly for your work network connection, thus this method did not work for you (at work).

You would be correct, because I'm not very proficient at setting up network connections, and was having to change the DNS address every time between work and home. It was a pain in the A$$, so I just left it automatic. I'll have to say, although I'm not a Apple aficionado, their method of having automatically dedicated DNS settings for every wireless connection (as opposed to having to manually set up dedicated DNS settings in Windows, which is my problem) makes life much easier at times.

Yuli_nguyen

I got that trouble also. And i download the progame:  Hotspot Shield , connect and i can use FB. You can try.

Yuli

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

• Making phone calls in Vietnam
    Making phone calls in Vietnam

The telecommunications sector in Vietnam has flourished throughout the past two decades. Like many foreigners, ...

• Internet in Vietnam
    Internet in Vietnam

Vietnam is currently ranked 39th internationally for internet connection and has an average download speed of ...

• Phone Use In Vietnam
    Phone Use In Vietnam

If you are coming from overseas for a short stay expect most types of cellphone to work okay here. The major ...

• Techie in Vietnam: Will My Smartphone Stay Smart?
    Techie in Vietnam: Will My Smartphone Stay Smart?

As a techie growing up in the Silicon Valley, I’ve grown accustomed to certain conveniences.  One ...

• Dating In Vietnam
    Dating In Vietnam

If you're considering moving to Hanoi, or Ho Chi Minh City, the dating scene may be of interest to you. ...

• Moving to Vietnam with your pet
    Moving to Vietnam with your pet

If you are planning to move to Vietnam with a pet, there are a number of formalities that have to be completed ...

• Getting married in Vietnam
    Getting married in Vietnam

Have you met that perfect someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with? Luckily, getting married in ...

• Driving in Vietnam
    Driving in Vietnam

Vietnam is known for four categories of lush and diverse landscapes, and one of the easiest ways to see firsthand ...

All of Vietnam's guide articles