Menu
Expat.com

Seeking friendly advice...

Last activity 26 June 2010 by lynchd57

wyntarra

Hello, my name is Carlee and I am from the USA. I am presently attending university (mum.edu) (33 years old and back in school EEPS!) and am trying to earn a B.A. in Communications and Media emphasizing in web and graphic design. I am NOT the best by far compared to my much younger classmates but I have had the interest to learn for a long time so am seeing where that takes me. I am hoping to move to the Glass House Mountains/Caboolture area of Queensland after graduation (2 years away at least) to be closer to my best friend and her clan. I have never visited Australia but am planning to visit during my summer (their winter) of 2011 for a few months. Any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

emseedubya

If your end goal is to live and work in Australia, my advice would be to choose a uni focus more geared towards what's in-demand in Australia. I honestly expect that you'll have quite a hard time moving here based on that degree considering graphic design isn't really an in-demand position. There's a chance that you could find a business to sponsor your migration, but it's so expensive for them to do that,maybe if you were moving to Sydney or Melbourne, but I wouldn't expect the specific area you're looking at to cater to graphic design. Assuming your only plausible path for migration is through obtaining a working visa, it would be worth the extra time and money to choose a degree path on the Skilled Occupations List.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general- … ations.pdf

emseedubya

for example, go to a local community college and become a certified dental hygenist, obtain a skilled labor visa based on that position, do it for a couple years until you gain residency and then get back into graphic design. If it gurantees you entry into the country, I'd say you have nothing to lose.

aditi

hey...i wud like to know the IT jobs scenario in perth

lynchd57

Hi there,
         you have picked a nice part of the world down there but the sunshine coast is getting very commercialized now.It is one of the fasted growing places in Australia.It has lovely beaches good shopping and entertainment it has it all.a lot of people live there and travel to Brisbane to work which is probably about an hours drive at most. The outer areas are great like up in the mountains places like Malaney are just gorgeous views up there and a lot of history with the place.There is a lot of course touristy things to do as its one of the nations prime tourist spots. They have the Australia Zoo there l don't know whether you ever heard of Steve Irwin the crocodile hunter who was killed a few years back while doing a documentary on stingrays and he got speared through the heart by a stingray.
Well that's his park and its a big tourist attraction.As for it being winter here you will probably laugh as to compared to down south or in other countries winter gets really cold but here it would only get down to 7 degrees at worst if that and the days are heaven around the early 20s.If you have a good degree or something you should be able to find work easy enough even if you have to travel to Brisbane hope this all helps. Have any Questions just ask and l will answer it for you. big_smile.png

Articles to help you in your expat project in the Queensland

All of Queensland's guide articles